+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SIGNAL STRENGTH.... Trying to understand?????

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
To those that have a constant (or close to it) and strong signal (full bars) I am glad but I am really trying to understand why the iPhone is so
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Question SIGNAL STRENGTH.... Trying to understand?????
    To those that have a constant (or close to it) and strong signal (full bars) I am glad but I am really trying to understand why the iPhone is so poor when it comes to a constant and strong signal, is it the phone or the software (I am on 2.0.2)? I have lived in the same house for 12 years and have never had reception issues with ANY phone indoors (home or otherwise) while on T-Mobile like I have had with the iPhone.

I am just trying to understand if there is anything that can change this or something I just have to except if I want to use an iPhone on T-Mobile?

Thank you

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sr852 View Post
    To those that have a constant (or close to it) and strong signal (full bars) I am glad but I am really trying to understand why the iPhone is so poor when it comes to a constant and strong signal, is it the phone or the software (I am on 2.0.2)? I have lived in the same house for 12 years and have never had reception issues with ANY phone indoors (home or otherwise) while on T-Mobile like I have had with the iPhone.

I am just trying to understand if there is anything that can change this or something I just have to except if I want to use an iPhone on T-Mobile?

Thank you
    I have better reception than I had with my T-mobile shadow...what I have noticed is that the iphone updates more often than my shadow did...so you might be getting the same reception you had before..just how its displayed is differently..
    personally..I wouldnt go back to the shadow if I had to....iPhone is just so much more functional and so much better overall...
    I pulled out my shado the other day and put the sim in to see if the reception was anybetter or any different....where I was at I was not getting great reception...1 bar out of 5 on iPhone...and I didnt get any reception on the shadow....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to soundengineer For This Useful Post:

sr852 (09-03-2008)

Thanks

With the release of the 3G at "discounted' price, there are probably a million new iPhone users all straining the 3G network. just earlier today i had 5 full bars, yet iNetworkTest could not get a network address to even give me a speed reading nor could I open anything in Safari. I dont even pay attention to the bars shown when in 3G. Conversely I was in the boonies with barely a half bar of 3G and was surfing with Safari at 400-600kbs with no freezeups.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

sr852 (09-03-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    With the release of the 3G at "discounted' price, there are probably a million new iPhone users all straining the 3G network. just earlier today i had 5 full bars, yet iNetworkTest could not get a network address to even give me a speed reading nor could I open anything in Safari. I dont even pay attention to the bars shown when in 3G. Conversely I was in the boonies with barely a half bar of 3G and was surfing with Safari at 400-600kbs with no freezeups.
    Thanks for your response. I forgot to mention I have a 2G. So are you saying the 3G users can effect me and aren't I pulling my signal from T-Mobile? Again just trying to get an understanding of why the signal is so poor indoors. When I have no signal and can't complete a call, I have to take note of the bars showing (or better put, not showing).
    Last edited by sr852; 09-03-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: spelling error

Thanks

Oh, that changes things. Your Edge should not be affected by 3G. I know with the old 2G i would get zero reception if at the center of a large building such as a supermarket, a Circuit City store. With the 3G I get signal in those places. One of the reasons i downgraded my 2G back to 1.1.4 was because of poor signal and general lagginess.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    Oh, that changes things. Your Edge should not be affected by 3G. I know with the old 2G i would get zero reception if at the center of a large building such as a supermarket, a Circuit City store. With the 3G I get signal in those places. One of the reasons i downgraded my 2G back to 1.1.4 was because of poor signal and general lagginess.
    So are you saying in your case using the 2G it was the software that was the reason for your poor signal strength and not the phone?