+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone vs iPhone 3g on T-mobile Network [future possibilities]

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
My family has a family plan on t-mobile so per-se I'm forced to buy an iPhone from a 3rd party. Now my dilemma is that I'm not sure whether to
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Arrow iPhone vs iPhone 3g on T-mobile Network [future possibilities]
    My family has a family plan on t-mobile so per-se I'm forced to buy an iPhone from a 3rd party. Now my dilemma is that I'm not sure whether to get the original iPhone (and save quite a bit of money) or opt in for the more pricier 3g version.

From what I've read, it seems the original iPhone has a lot less technical issues through using T-mobile since it has been around a lot longer (particularly pertaining to networking such as t-zones).

So what's keeping me from buying an Iphone 3g is that the whole process seems a lot more complex (not a problem just means I need to invest some time) and that the 3g feature won't be of any use to me anyway since T-mobiles 3g functions on a different frequency than that of AT&T.

Could it be possible that in the near future there will be software hacks available to adjust the network frequencies the iPhone 3g can receive thus allowing it to use T-mobiles 3g service? From my limited understand of hardware and the crap the FCC gives us I have a strong notion that it's impossible, however just thought I'd put it out there on a whim.

If not are there any other advantages to having the iPhone 3g instead of the iPhone now and in the near future, if I'm going to use T-mobile as my carrier?

I'm not so much concerned about Unlocking the iPhone 3g since it's possible with Turbosim and a simpler software unlock is just a matter of time so please formulate your answers ignoring that fact.

EDIT: According to this thread the 3g that T-mobile uses will never work w/ the iPhone due to hardware constraints (non matching uplink and downlink). So is there any reason at all to get an iPhone 3g over a regular iPhone if I'm going to use it on t-mobile.
    EDIT2: After checking craigslist for aproximate prices of each. Wouldn't it cost the same to buy an iPhone 3g at AT&T w/ a contract and then cancel and pay the full early termination fee?
    Last edited by NiklasK; 08-07-2008 at 12:58 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had the same question. I started this thread, hope it gives you an idea of what you're trying to figure out. It seems to me like there's a lot of confusion on whether the iphone 3g will work for tmobile. I'm guessing we won't be sure until tmobile launches their 3g network.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well from what I've found is that T-mobile has already released their 3g in select major cities such as NYC and it's been reported it doesn't work with that network.

The problem is while the iPhone can read all those frequencies both here in the US and Europe, the one's T-mobile set up in the US are unique in that they've been configured differently.

So it works everywhere except Japan (which is slowly converting to western 3g/4g networks) and in the US if you want to use T-mobile. Apple has no incentive to make a 3g iPhone that works with T-mobiles US network due to their exclusivity contract with AT&T until 2012.

However I still can't get over that an iPhone might be released around Christmas times that would support all networks like that fat hunky brick phone that I keep reading so much about.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was in the same boat with you, my research on ebay showed:
    $650-700 for a 3G 8GB model +$30 for turbo sim
    vs
    $350 for a 2,5G 8GB model
    so it's about double the cost...
    I believe that T-mobile doesn't have 3g yet so the things that you are missing with the 2,5G original iphone are:
    1) GPS
    2) Stereo bluetooth
    So the question is wheather you are willing to spend $300 for these...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Orig I phone and t mobile
    I have orig Iphone that has been unlocked when attempting to connect with TMobile data plan i am unable because the APN does not appear as egde when i go into network settings. T-Mobile tech support states that i need some kind of software update or revision. does anyone know how to do this action?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I asked this same question in another forum. The basic response was no. Phone companies could possibly build phones that operate on multiple bands and have firmware control which band is used. Unfortunately, it is believed that no phone company is doing this.

[ame="http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1489957"]Click Here[/ame]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kholmes View Post
    I have orig Iphone that has been unlocked when attempting to connect with TMobile data plan i am unable because the APN does not appear as egde when i go into network settings. T-Mobile tech support states that i need some kind of software update or revision. does anyone know how to do this action?
    that is 100% not correct if you have the data plan it is internet2.voicestream.com

and no to answr the original question there will never be a software that can make the current 3 g phone work with t-mobile. It is hardware not software related

Green Apple
    Thanks

Look for a Good Condition used iphone 3g on Ebay.

I always think it's best to go with the newer of things, so I bought my iphone 3g on ebay (used 1 month, no scratches or signs of use at all) for $410 including shipping which I thought was a very good deal. Then I spent around 40 for a sim unlock chip including the shipping.

So my iphone 3g with the sim unlock chip was only roughly $450. the trick is dont always look for brand new things or go for the buy it now. The biggest trick though is to contact the seller. My iphone was listed at $500 and i just contacted the seller, offered 400, and won it (it cost 410 with shipping)

So i'd get a 3g if I were you, better and newer looking, nicely rounded back to it, plus its new so if you buy one you can still get one with a warranty on it (Mine came with a 1 year warranty, minus the 1 month that the previous owner had it).

Good luck with your choice though

Kahl

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey MaxPower, what the heck is a 2,5G? Are you sure it's an iPhone you are talking about? because they only made a 2G, 3G and now the new 3G S

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ticko's Avatar
    Thanks

this thread was dug up for some reason lols i have a 3g on tmo and yet there are no real ADVANTAGES to have a 3g over a first gen iphone on tmo you have to understand there are smaller advantages such as more memory and faster run speeds for webpages and other things ... its not the same phone its newer so even though you cant access 3g network in my opinion its still a better phone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default tmobile 3g
    Everyone keeps saying that the reason the iphone3g won't work on tmobile is because it only supports 800mhtz 1900 and 2100, yet supposedly tmobile runs on 1700/2100.

Heres my problem. I just went to tmobile's web site and for every 3g phone they have listed, it shows the frequency that phone will support. Most if not all show to support 850 900 1800 1900 & 2100. NONE that I have found show to support 1700.

How does this differ from the iphone3g and how the heck can people say tmobile runs on 1700 when none of their phones list 1700 as a supported frequency??

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chancek View Post
    Everyone keeps saying that the reason the iphone3g won't work on tmobile is because it only supports 800mhtz 1900 and 2100, yet supposedly tmobile runs on 1700/2100.

Heres my problem. I just went to tmobile's web site and for every 3g phone they have listed, it shows the frequency that phone will support. Most if not all show to support 850 900 1800 1900 & 2100. NONE that I have found show to support 1700.

How does this differ from the iphone3g and how the heck can people say tmobile runs on 1700 when none of their phones list 1700 as a supported frequency??
    I can't believe i never noticed that before! how can that be? the g1 doesn't even have 1700, neither does their brand new dash 3g...

But the g1 has 850 MHz;900 MHz;1800 MHz;1900 MHz

the iphone:
    UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

if only there were a way to make 900 and 1800 3g frequencies.

Well after some short research i've relieased t-mobile only posts their calling frequencies. you have to look into the the real phone specs from the own website.
    Heres what the g1 said
    Quad band GSM / GPRS / EDGE: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 -- call freqs

Dual band UMTS / HSDPA / HSUPA: UMTS 1700 / 2100 -- 3G freqs

It's impossible
    Last edited by babyblue_pimp; 07-23-2009 at 08:32 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babyblue_pimp For This Useful Post:

chancek (07-24-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imbuggin View Post
    and no to answr the original question there will never be a software that can make the current 3 g phone work with t-mobile. It is hardware not software related
    Quoted for everyone to see it's not software it's hardware.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to soulthoughts For This Useful Post:

chancek (07-24-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me ekidd's Avatar
    Thanks

boooo. makes me sad that i cant use my 3g with tmobile :[ O well, the 3g phone looks a whole lot better than the ugly 2g though lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

LOL the Slow mo of T-mobile!

T-mobile was good for the iphone G2, and still good for the 3G regarding just phone service! (certain areas) but that joke! that t-mobile want iphone users to paid 20.00 for the slow mo Data service, has to be a desperate move. I'm not trying to mock any one, but be realistic, why should you paid 20.00 for and EDGE speed Data service! I was given a G1 from my last job, and the Android was slow compared to my own Unlocked G1 running on ATT, the HTC was made for faster service! and it was cheaper for me to paid than what the company I was working for!

T-mobile used to be good! and still good for EDGE service phones, but these days that everything is moving on 3G and soon LTE/4G their cell phones is getting behind.

Apple iphone next stop! Verizon Wireless, reason real esasy (WCDMA/GSM) do you think that apple will only make WCDMA units for Asia! is a big market! Verizon has over 80 Millions, just imagine!

My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Thanks

I would be happy with JUST 3G uploads, but I don't think that's possible either.