+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Visual Voicemail

is a discussion within the

T-mobile

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Does anyone ever think there will be hack for this or a file mod for TMO customers to get VISUAL VOICEMAIL?
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Visual Voicemail
    Does anyone ever think there will be hack for this or a file mod for TMO customers to get VISUAL VOICEMAIL?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Nope. As far as I know the visual voicemail is a carrier dependent feature. Only AT&T offers this so until TMO does, you're hooped I think.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Not to mention visual voicemail is probably the most worthless feature a phone can have. (Watch me do cartwheels while I leave you a message. Wheeeeeeee)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It cannot be done with any other operator except the ones officially tied up with Apple as the Visualvoicemail is not just the phone feature it is handled by servers on operator end to manage the audio files and other stuff..

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

1) Its handeled network side, so now
    2) Visual voicemail is actually quite helpful. Don't have to go through prompts and enter pasaswords to hear a message, say, from 2 weeks ago... You don't have to listen to all of them before that to get to it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ksong12 View Post
    1) Its handeled network side, so now
    2) Visual voicemail is actually quite helpful. Don't have to go through prompts and enter pasaswords to hear a message, say, from 2 weeks ago... You don't have to listen to all of them before that to get to it.
    I am sure if an experienced developer looked into it, they could probably incorporate the Visual Voicemail to connect to another Visual Voicemail server such as Grand Central..

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

True, I didn't think about that.

For the time being, going to m.grandcentral.com may work, but I haven't tried it, since I don't want to use that. Why? Because there will be a delay between when the voicemail is left, and you get a notification, because that site has to call the voicemail number, and only every once in a while.

Interesting thought though.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Also, not free, but maybe this?

http://www.gotvoice.com/visual_voicemail.php
    http://www.callwave.com/landing/mobi...tService.aspx?

I personally am not gonna pay $25 to get visual voicemail..... I could get AT&T for that price, especially since AT&T coverage absolutely destroys T-Mobile coverage where I live (Actually, at school, I get absolutely zero T-Mobile coverage). That's not to say others find it helpful.... but....

Edit> I signed up for GrandCentral yesterday, and I got a beta invite this morning! Wow! Anyway, I picked my number and all, and it works great, with one small problem... I have to tell everybody my new number. I don't want to do that, especially since once this comes out of beta, I'll have to pay call charges TWICE over. Once to T-Mobile, once to GrandCentral/Google. Oh, and all outgoing calls direct from my phone go through my real phone number, not GrandCentral's number.
    Last edited by ksong12; 01-27-2008 at 08:09 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i found a free visual voicemail provider called youmail. go to youmail.com.
    they also funny greetings.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

youmail doesn't seem to be real visual voicemail.....unless I am not doing something right setting it up...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Not to mention visual voicemail is probably the most worthless feature a phone can have. (Watch me do cartwheels while I leave you a message. Wheeeeeeee)
    LOL visual voice mail is not "video" voice mail. Visual voice mail is just a way of presenting your regular voice mails. It lets you select them from a list and gives you information on each caller. You can choose which voice mail you want to listen to by clicking on it in a list, rather than having it all audio and skipping voice mails. It is a data service currently only provided by AT&T in the US.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i have att 1.1.4 jailbroken iphone my visual voice mail dosent work.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have been using GrandCentral with my BlackBerry since September, but just a week ago got an iPhone and now have it running 2.0 on T-Mobile. The m.grandcentral.com interface doesn't work properly because of the way that the mp3 files are formed... from the URL with a MIME type and not downloaded (to test this you can go to m.grandcentral.com on your computer, save the file that opens when you click play, and upload it to another website with the .mp3 extension... the iPhone now plays it).

Anyway, I've been playing with the iPhone's voicemail.db file with sqlite3 and am considering an app that would update it based on GC. Problem is, the voicemail interface won't open on my T-Mobile iPhone... does anyone know a way around that?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It loads on my iPhone…

If you manage to make this app, I will effin' propose to you.
    Last edited by mockup; 07-25-2008 at 11:55 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Lightbulb finally
    Quote Originally Posted by u235 View Post
    considering an app that would update it based on GC. Problem is, the voicemail interface won't open on my T-Mobile iPhone...
    Well, I finally took the time to make an app that allows Grand Central voicemail! It's a WebApp and was hacked together in one night, but it does what I needed.

You can read more at my blog or try it out on your iPhone by opening Mobile Safari and typing in rectu.ms/iphone

I appreciate any feedback, but would find it easier to respond to comments on my blog.