Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dropped iphone = broken speaker & mic

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Dropped iphone = broken speaker & mic
    i have an unlocked iphone 8gb 1st gen.

my friend dropped my phone, and the home button got stuck. it got stuck before and i can just wiggle it/slap it a few times and it works. but now the speaker/mic doesnt work anymore. only way i can use the phone is with the headset.. but i dont wanna settle with that cause i'll look like a pretentious ***** walking around.

anyway, i talked to apple employees (couple my friends) and said they can't do anything about it cause mine is unlocked. (bah!)

its still "techincally" in warranty, but i checked the apple site and its not activated.. so i guess the warranty isnt activated.

what did you guys do? any confirmed unlocked iphones that got help? what did you guys do to the phone? i was thinking of just restoring it, but then... i can't use the phone.. ahhhh im screwed arent i?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Warranty has nothing to do with Activation. Hardware warranty stays intact no matter if you activate it or not. Technical Support is what you get if you activate with service. You can restore your unlocked phone to factory restore and see if you can get replacement. Put phone in DFU and restore 2x and you should be good. If you do not have dents on your Phone.. call apple tell them your speaker stopped working for some reason and you've restored couple of time. DO NOT HACKTIVATE OR JAILBREAK AFTER DFU RESTORE. Also tell them it was never activated.. or it was activated with ATT GoPhone previously as they have no records of GoPhone You might be able to get replacement. Enjoy!!!

Last edited by dontmakemehurtu; 01-26-2010 at 10:52 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks for the replies guys... but i have some good news.

out of anger and sheer frustration i tossed my fone at the floor (carpeted)

anyway, everything works again.... now i just gotta make sure it doesnt drop ever

FranFran did you ever get the speaker/mic problem fixed. I have the same problem

Quote Originally Posted by franfran View Post
    thanks for the replies guys... but i have some good news.

out of anger and sheer frustration i tossed my fone at the floor (carpeted)

anyway, everything works again.... now i just gotta make sure it doesnt drop ever
    Not the recommended method. But if it works, good for ya!

OneRing2Rule
    If I've helped you or even just made you laugh, hit Thanks. Every time you do, an iPhone gets jailbroken. FREE THE iPHONES!!!

The exact same problem happened to my iPhone. But there was no noticeable exterior damage. So I restored it, took it in and they gave me a new one no problems !

i did the same thing about 6 months ago with my 4gb

i dropped it, the mic, home button & speaker all stopped working.

luckily somehow there wasnt much of a dent, so i just restored firmware, took it to the apple store, and they gave me a brand new one.

did u guys need to have an att account??/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nycelitemaster View Post
    Warranty has nothing to do with Activation.
    Actually it does. If you don't activate it with iTunes and ATT then the wty never starts. When you finally do activate it say a year later Apple will say "show me your proof of purchase when you bought it" because they know the IMEI is an older one that has been out of circulation a while. I have one here right now going through this. Once I activated it in iTunes it said "provide proof of purchase".
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s