+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cloned my HD and I'm having problems

is a discussion within the

Snow Leopard 10.6

forums, a part of the

OS X

section;
Hi, I need some help. I have a MBP with a 500gb hd with a windows xp partition(don't juge i needed it for college programs that only run on windows)
    ip3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Default Cloned my HD and I'm having problems
    Hi, I need some help. I have a MBP with a 500gb hd with a windows xp partition(don't juge i needed it for college programs that only run on windows) which I maxed out a while ago and finally purchased a 1TB HD that will fit in my MBP. I had a computer store clone my 500GB to the 1TB(i didn't want to do it and erase my 500gb hd by accident). I completely shut down my mac and replaced the hard drive. I powered on the mac and it started as if nothing was changed except for two problems, first the windows partition was not working(i also used parallels and had a windows folder in my dock and its still there i can see what files are there but when I try to launch parallels it wont work) I looked at the partitions and noticed that when the hard drive cloned it moved 500gb to the windows partition and I assumed thats why it wont run (i installed a fat32 with a max hd space of 32gb) so i think that is the problem. I want to reinstall my old hd and make a time machine back up of it and also start windows and make a restore disk for that to, how ever i need help reformatting my MBP with the 1TB HD installed. I have a MBP 6,2 which from the last time i checked is not lion compatible. I have the snow Leopard disk somewhere and want to install that. I just need to know if i can fix the problem without reformatting the 1TB hard drive.
    Last edited by ip3; 09-09-2012 at 10:44 AM.
    yes i have 6 laptops and an iPhone 5s Space grey Tmobile, iPhone 5 LimeGreen AT&T, iPhone4S jailbroken unlocked FS, iPad mini 32gb jailbroken, and an iPad 3 Both FS click here, im an outlet whore what can i say...

***Update, I got a new MBA4,2 13" FS maxed options, I just ordered the new retina MBP 15" maxed out all features!
    I also run a tech news and tutorials blog.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

First off, you can install Lion, or better, Mountain Lion on your Mac. Bump it to 8 GB and you're sweet.

I assume the computer store cloned your drive with Disk Utility? I'm not sure why you have the mess you do. Might need to try a third-party utility.

Read my post here for more helping installing a new drive and transferring the data. You might be better off using Parallels with a new VM.

Updating HDD to SDD Macbook Pro 2011 -- Will Time Machine move everything over exactly?
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

ip3
    Thanks
    I made a timemachine back up of my 500gb hdd and I still have my hdd. When I chatted with an apple rep on their site they said they are not sure and can't guaranty any windows partition will be saved with timemachine.

My Windows partition was an original Boot camp partition until I installed parallels and it auto detected my boot camp and started it...

I was never sure if that was what affected the boot camp partition ijdk.

I just want to format the 1TB HDD and try to install Lion or mountain lion, and restore from my timemachine, if that will not bring back my boot camp i will just do it manually.
    yes i have 6 laptops and an iPhone 5s Space grey Tmobile, iPhone 5 LimeGreen AT&T, iPhone4S jailbroken unlocked FS, iPad mini 32gb jailbroken, and an iPad 3 Both FS click here, im an outlet whore what can i say...

***Update, I got a new MBA4,2 13" FS maxed options, I just ordered the new retina MBP 15" maxed out all features!

Thanks

Time Machine won't backup non-HFS partitions, so no Boot Camp as it is most likely FAT32.

Clone your 500 GB to your 1 TB with Disk Utility, install ML, and only use Parallels with a new VM. Skip boot camp.

ip3
    Thanks
    how do i format My 1TB hdd?

then I suppose I would install the old 500gb and connect the newly formatted 1tb hdd with a sata cable and use disk utility to clone it?

Thanks

Use Disk Utility to format the drive. Do you have another Mac you can use?

Maybe try this:
    1. Reinstall your 500 GB
    2. Connect your 1 TB via drive adapter and format.
    3. Download and install Mountain Lion on your 1 TB.
    4. Install your 1 TB in your Mac.
    5. Connect your 500 GB via drive adapter and use Migration Assistant to transfer the data from the 500 GB.
    6. Re-install Windows in Parallels Desktop. (You may need to upgrade if you don't have Parallels Desktop 7/8.)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoops98 For This Useful Post:

ip3 (09-11-2012)

ip3
    Thanks
    thanks I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks

Cool. Good luck! It is actually really easy.

ip3
    Thanks
    btw, I have another question that is somewhat in the subject. I recently pledged for a certain project on kickstarter:The Nifty MiniDrive by niftydrives — Kickstarter and I wanted to know if I use a 64gb sdxc micro card with this adapter, will this essentially be a ssd for my mba?

Thanks

That's a cool project. It's super slow compared to an SSD.

My SSD: Max Read: up to 550 MB/s, Max Write: up to 500 MB/s

The fastest SD card I can find maxes at 832 Mbit/s (104 MB/s).

Better to remove your DVD drive and install a SSD with your HHD.

ip3
    Thanks
    well, it would be for my mba 13", what would it be good for then?

Thanks

I missed that it was for your MacBook Air. My previous post doesn't apply. The Nifty MiniDrive would be great way to add storage to a MBA, but not very fast storage. It's probably be close to that of a 7,200 RPM HHD.