View Poll Results: What's your take on the Mac anti-virus situation?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Macs don't need any anti-virus regardless.

4 50.00%
  • Macs still only need basic anti-virus protection.

2 25.00%
  • It's time for full blow anti-virus on Macs.

1 12.50%
  • I don't care because I'm a stupid Windows ONLY user.

1 12.50%
+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anti-virus becoming worth it?

is a discussion within the

Snow Leopard 10.6

forums, a part of the

OS X

section;
I want to know what people's opinions are on anti-virus for macs these days? I know that right now the main threat is "just" MacDefender, but this obviously shows that
    Thanks

Default Anti-virus becoming worth it?
    I want to know what people's opinions are on anti-virus for macs these days? I know that right now the main threat is "just" MacDefender, but this obviously shows that Macs are just as vulnerable to viruses as Windows users (Apple critics) have always said they were. Yes, there's not a million and one viruses for Macs floating around at this point, but it's obvious at this point that because of the attention, and market share, that Apple has been grabbing over the past few years that hackers are seeing the company and its products as more viable targets than in the past. Personally, I'm starting to feel that with MacDefender being able to circumvent Apple's security patch so quickly it could draw more attention from that community meaning more problems for us Mac users. Right now, I run Sophos, but that's just a scan when I feel the need type thing as I'm sure most of you know. So, is it maybe time to start thinking about a 24/7 security monitoring anti-virus?
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been using Macs for years and the realty is that most Mac malware is introduced to one's system by poisoned websites and infected applications, typical obtained via file sharing. If one is cautious, the risk is minimal. More often than not, Mac anti-virus software does the job, but I've never needed it.

Funny though how often Apple writers and security experts start harping on Mac as soon as there is some malware. One. Compared to the daily releases for PC. As a side note, several years ago, Microsoft admitted there was a 16 year old carry-over bug they were trying to fix in Windows XP. Windows is far more at risk than OS X.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 14,167 Times in 6,639 Posts

I used to use Norton a few years ago but it seemed to do more harm than good. Havent had to use anything since.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't think anti virus is needed.. Yet..
    Things like mac defender still require user interaction. As long as you pay attention to what you are doing you won't have any problems.

Though, the same applies for windows as well. I never got any windows viruses because I wouldn't just download and run any random file on the internet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VPrime View Post
    I don't think anti virus is needed.. Yet..
    Things like mac defender still require user interaction. As long as you pay attention to what you are doing you won't have any problems.

Though, the same applies for windows as well. I never got any windows viruses because I wouldn't just download and run any random file on the internet.
    Mac Defender would install without requesting admin authorization, unlike every other installer.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

ClamXAV. It is free and you can set it's Sentry to watch the download folder and your set. It is lightweight.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scoops98 View Post
    Mac Defender would install without requesting admin authorization, unlike every other installer.

Yes, but you still have to click to download it. Then launch it. Then click next to install it.
    It is not totally invisible and still requires a user to do the heavy lifting.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Anti-virus becoming worth it?
    Nope. See ya next year.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

Appears they seem to have an issue with the Mail.app.

I still stand by ClamXAV. Very lightweight, has on-demand scanning with their sentry engine. 100% free, no need to register for anything in order to get it free.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I think Mac needed Anti virus protection in full mode because of virus can arise any whr, overstall security is main concern.

Thanks

Macs don't need an antivirus in "full mode". They have no viruses. Only malware. Which requires you to input admin password to install. Or at least the install window will pop up and if you didn't initiate the install then you should know something isn't right. It's called safe browsing. Or being aware of what you are doing and not clicking a ton of other items.

Having ClamX watching just the download folder, or whatever your default download folder is, is more than enough for the user.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Personally, I dont think it is needed on a mac still. Maybe if its a child's who doesn't know what they're doing or what they're clicking on, then they might need it. But i believe most people are smart enough without it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I personally have virus barrier on mine and have had no problems, but I'm not sure its because of the antivirus or if I'm just careful enough.... i've had it installed since i bought the macbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

Haven't tried one, haven't had a problem. I'm open-minded to it if I ever need it, but so far so good!

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't use Anti-Virus even on Windows. I only visit legitimate sites on either Operating System. So Macintosh really has no need for it either. I haven't had a virus or malware since 1999.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I don't use Anti-Virus even on Windows. I only visit legitimate sites on either Operating System. So Macintosh really has no need for it either. I haven't had a virus or malware since 1999.
    Kinda unwise to browse websites in Windows without AV. There are so many new threats everyday that it's hard to stay safe. Even legitimate sites get infected.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoops98 For This Useful Post:

raduga (10-16-2011)

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Kinda unwise to browse websites in Windows without AV. There are so many new threats everyday that it's hard to stay safe. Even legitimate sites get infected.
    Not that it's a big deal for me. I use Windows to play a game. None of my confidential data is stored on Windows, just Macintosh. But not having an infection since 1999 seems to show that being careful is one way to not get infected on a Windows machine.

Thanks

Maybe try run Malwarebytes in safe mode some time for interest. It'd be cool to know if you have scraped by unscathed! Sometimes one gets lucky! I just wouldn't recommend to anyone to not run some sort of anti-virus/spyware software. And Macs get infections too. There was a number that caused concern not too long ago. Apple now updates spyware definitions that are part of OS X automatically.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoops98 For This Useful Post:

raduga (10-16-2011)