+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: looking to wipe out my MBP

is a discussion within the

Snow Leopard 10.6

forums, a part of the

OS X

section;
i just bought my first macbook pro today and i wanna wipe it clean since it is used. it didnt come with any CD's so i was wondering exactly what
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default looking to wipe out my MBP
    i just bought my first macbook pro today and i wanna wipe it clean since it is used. it didnt come with any CD's so i was wondering exactly what i should buy and how much it is?

i'm on 10.6.4

thanks! i'm looking forward to this transition

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What you'll need is this:
    Mac OS X Snow Leopard: http://amazon.com/dp/B001AMHWP8

The latest retail version of the Snow Leopard DVD is 10.6.3, which you can find online somewhere or at any local Apple Store <-- refer here for a complete list of all their stores and locations. Typically for $29.95

And also 10.6.5 is in private beta testing so that should be coming in the next month or two.

1) And to answer the question of how to start with a clean slate on your system, when you get your installation dvd, all you need to do is insert the disc into your system with the OS still loaded, go to System Preferences click on Startup Disk and click on your Install DVD and then let it restart.

2) Another method for loading a bootable media on a Mac, after powering the system on, hold alt/option (this method will bring up the standard Mac bootloader) you will at first see your bootable hard disk partitions, and the cd/dvd media will follow as soon as the system is able to read it.

3) The next option is similar, but after turning your system on, hold down only C, keep held down and it will eventually load straight into cd/dvd.

1-3 all do more or less the same thing, which is booting from removable media, just different ways to do it, just thought I would throw it out there for you.

Upon loading up the Installer, choose your Language, and then under Utilities choose "Disk Utility" and from here. It's pretty self-explanatory from here on out, if you need any help in getting it erased let me know and I can assist you.

PS: Also what is your hardware revision on your mac? For example mine is a Late 2008 edition, and the Hardware ID is: MacBookPro5,1. This information can be found by simply going to (Apple logo) > About This Mac > More Info... > Hardware > Model Identifier
    Last edited by palyons; 09-13-2010 at 07:30 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to palyons For This Useful Post:

MFDOOM44 (09-14-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Hey thanks for the help! It's installing right now

Mines says 13,1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Was glad to be of help. Were you able to get the DVD at a local store or anything?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Yup I bought it at best buy for about the same price you mentioned.

Btw, what exactly is the hardware revision?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well seeing that you have an iPhone 4, I'm sure that you've noticed over the years in the firmwares have file names like this:
    iPod2,1
    iPhone1,1
    iPhone1,2
    iPhone2,1
    iPhone4,1
    etc..
    Basically it's a way to identify the device to determine exactly which firmware and OS can run on said device.

By the way I don't think you gave me the right hardware id for your mac, I did a google search for MacBook13,1 and MacBookPro13,1 and no helpful results came up.

Also just so you know, depending on how old or new your Mac is, you may or may not be able to run older versions of Mac OS X. For example the minimum version I can run is Mac OS X (Leopard) 10.5.6. I've tried to install older ones, but they simply reject the installation disc.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Whoops I meant 3, 1

I shouldn't have to worry about any conflicting issues right? It's actually still installing but almost done

ok so it finished installed and it said it was successful so it restarted but when i got on everything is still the same...

i did your first method
    Last edited by MFDOOM44; 09-14-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Nah, there shouldn't be any conflicting issues with your system, it should work just fine. Only a couple more things is it a 15" or 17", and is it a MacBook Pro or just MacBook?

You may or may not be able to run 64-bit Mac Apps though, since it is a bit older.

PS: I just saw the bit in your message how you said everything is still the same, in that case send me a Private Message with your Instant Messenger names if you have any and I can better assist you over one of those.
    Last edited by palyons; 09-14-2010 at 04:14 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i have a 15" MacBook Pro with the silver keys

ok so i gave the installation one more try and i guess i skipped the Disk Utility part of it. I went ahead and deleted the partition and created a new one and installed the OS on it. now i have a clean slate and everything works beautifully

one more question though, is it possible to change the name of the partition right now? or is it too late.

thanks so much

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Changing the name on the partition is incredibly easy, it's almost the same as changing a file/folder name in Windows. All you have to do is click on the file/folder/volume *1 and click/or press Return on the name and type in a new name.

*1: Removable media/network folders/disk partitions are called Volumes in OSX if you didn't know.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    hey thanks for all the help man

i've been a windows guy for 22 years of my life and so far the mac transition is going pretty smooth with your help