+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Installing Snow Leopard via usb

is a discussion within the

Snow Leopard 10.6

forums, a part of the

OS X

section;
Hey, I'm about to format my hdd and try to boot it up with the usb like a DVD. Will that work? Because I want to upgrade my hdd, but
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Installing Snow Leopard via usb
    Hey, I'm about to format my hdd and try to boot it up with the usb like a DVD. Will that work? Because I want to upgrade my hdd, but I will only be using the usb and this method. I want to put Snow Leopard on the usb and install it that way.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Scoops98's Avatar
    Thanks

Intel based Macs can boot from USB, so you should have no problem. Are you going to move your old HDD to an external enclosure and migrate the content over to your new HDD?
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

Thanks

No. I plan on starting fresh. I have nothing on my old hdd worth saving anyway.

Thanks

Ok. Why use the USB then?

Thanks

My DVD drive is messed up. I need a new one and I want to upgrade now. However, you said I can use the usb drive instead anyway, right?

Thanks

Sorry, I'm a little confused as to what you want to do exactly. You need to replace you DVD drive and upgrade your internal HHD, right? You don't need to use an external USB enclosure then.

Thanks

No. My DVD drive does not read/burn DL dvds properly. So I want to find another way to install Snow Leopard on my new 500gb hdd.

Let me explain everything. Right now I have an old 160gb hdd.I want to upgrade my Leopard to Snow Leopard, and I want to upgrade my hdd. So I wanted to just burn Snow Leopard on a DL DVD and install it on the new 500gb hdd. However, I had trouble burning the Snow Leopard DVD, and I found out that it needs to be replaced. But I don't have the money for that now, and I still want to upgrade. So I decided to just put Snow Leopard on a usb stick and install it on my formatted brand new 500gb hdd. And I made this thread because I wasn't sure if a blank, formatted hdd would recognize my Snow Leopard usb stick as it would recognize the Snow Leopard DVD. Do you understand what I'm saying now? And why I was asking that question in my original post?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

I think they are wanting to use a USB DVD drive to intall SL on the new harddrive since the superdrive is broken. Is that basically what you are wanting to do?

Thanks

I see. You can't install Mac OS X off a disc image from a USB drive. You have to actually be able to boot off a optical disc, either from and internal or external drive.

Thanks

I just want to know if I can follow directions below. I'm installing SL on a blank hdd.

"Install via USB Flash Drive

What you need:
    - Disk Utility.
    - Flash Drive with at least 8GB of free space.

1. Open Disk Utility. On the left navigation, select your flash drive and click on the "Partition" tab.
    2. Under "Volume Scheme", Select "1 Partiton"
    3. Once selected, hit the "Option" button at the bottom of the map.
    4. A window will pop-up, select the GUID option (the first one).
    5. Once its done, navigate to the "Restore" tab.
    6. With the Snow Leopard DMG present, drag the DMG to the "Source" field, and from the navigation on the left, drag your Flash Drive to the "Destination" field.
    7. Click Restore.
    8. Close Disk Utility, Open up System Preferences. Under "System," choose "Startup Disk," Your flash drive should be listed as the Snow Leopard installation disk. Select and press "Restart"
    9. Follow the instructions to install Snow Leopard."

I just want to know if that would work if I use my new hdd. I'm going to do all that stuff in Leopard THEN I'll put in my new hdd. I just want to make sure it'll boot the usb thumb drive, that's all I'm asking.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by y0ungSir View Post
    I just want to know if I can follow directions below. I'm installing SL on a blank hdd.

"Install via USB Flash Drive

What you need:
    - Disk Utility.
    - Flash Drive with at least 8GB of free space.

1. Open Disk Utility. On the left navigation, select your flash drive and click on the "Partition" tab.
    6. With the Snow Leopard DMG present, drag the DMG to the "Source" field, and from the navigation on the left, drag your Flash Drive to the "Destination" field.
    7. Click Restore.
    8. Close Disk Utility, Open up System Preferences. Under "System," choose "Startup Disk," Your flash drive should be listed as the Snow Leopard installation disk. Select and press "Restart"

I just want to know if that would work if I use my new hdd.
    My bad. I totally forgot about doing it this way. It should work. I've never tried installed OS X on a USB Drive. Give it a go.

Thanks

Yeah, I was confused because, at the restart point, there would be a new hard drive I would be installing Snow Leopard to.

Thanks

It's pretty easy to the distinguish drives at that point. It's not like installing Windows XP!

Thanks

Okay thanks, but, just to be sure, I follow these directions:

1. Follow directions listed
    2. However, instead of restarting the computer, I install a new hdd (blank)
    3. Turn on computer and it will recognize Snow Leopard and let me install it from the usb drive.

Is that correct?

Thanks

If it's going to work, you'll need to restart on the USB drive. Restart and hold the option key, then select the USB drive. Once the Mac OS X installer starts up, you then select your new drive, and follow the prompts.

Thanks

But how do I do that? How can I select the new drive if I need to install it first? I have to set up Snow Leopard on my usb stick through my old hdd because there's nothing on my new hdd. Can't I just shut my computer off after I set up my usb stick?

Thanks

Not to hijack your thread but I have been working on this for the last 72 hours. First, what version of snow leopard do you have? ^^Holding the alt/option key with the usb plugged in should bring up 2 drives the HD and the USB thats the one. If you get to the select language portion in SL and then get a "Software cannot be installed on the computer" message means its not going to work or the copied SL is not a retail version. You would save alot of time and get external dvd drive/burner cuz I had got one for my Air not the stock one but another brand to load software to it. My Superdrive works on my macbook 2.0 white but SL would not install because my friend's 10.6 was assigned to his unibody and using someone's 10.6 restore disks will not work on another macbook.
    Last edited by mikerlx; 03-22-2010 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks

I have 10.6 and I'll have to try the usb drive first before I consider getting a new DVD driver or getting an external one.

Thanks

Good luck.

Thanks

If your mac isn't 3 years old yet, they replace the drive for you without any costs. I know 'cause it happened a few times to me already. Those internal drives are crap! specially if you do a lot of ripping.

7. Click Restore.
    that's how I did it on my MB, only I used a partition on a usb external hdd... works like a charm
    So how's that JB stuff working out?
    I'm still trying to get my 1st gen. into dfu mode