+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Root user

is a discussion within the

Snow Leopard 10.6

forums, a part of the

OS X

section;
I'm trying to install some games but they want me to go into terminal and type in sudo -s. It then asks me for a password, yet doesn't let me
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Root user
    I'm trying to install some games but they want me to go into terminal and type in sudo -s.

It then asks me for a password, yet doesn't let me type.

I checked on both Apple's site and the help file (which both match) and there is no edit root user to click on. Can anyone help?

My system is the $1199 13.3in Aluminum Unibody Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard 10.6.2

iPhone? More like MyPhone ukhellfire's Avatar
    Thanks

You shoule just be able to type your password that you use to log on with... The flashing idicator wont move to tell you that you are typing anything, but infact you are, after you have typed your password, just hit enter and all should be ok. Hope this helps!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ukhellfire View Post
    You shoule just be able to type your password that you use to log on with... The flashing idicator wont move to tell you that you are typing anything, but infact you are, after you have typed your password, just hit enter and all should be ok. Hope this helps!
    I'm the original owner and did not buy the machine 2nd hand. It was purchased in the middle of december 2009. I didn't set a password. It keeps saying incorrect.

Also i typed some command like cat etc/...and root user was disabled.

Thanks

ahhh ok... did you try enabling the account? i wouldnt have thought that you could enable this account as its the root account, and is hidden for a reason, kind of like the administrator account on windows vista.

you can try setting yourself a password, rebooting the machine, logging in, and try again, with the password you have just set. unfortunatley i have never actually come accross this problem as ive always set myself a password from the beginning.
    i think you can even set a password, and disable the initial login to your machine, not too sure though... let me know if this works or not!

Thanks

username is usually root and password is password

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm on the highlighted step and it is NOT THERE!!! ahh frustrating

Thanks

Really silly question... But have you gone to the edit menu up the top there?? I take it there isnt an "enable root user" option in there...?