Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How Can I Format My Mac To Install a Fresh Lion?

Question How Can I Format My Mac To Install a Fresh Lion?
    EDIT:

Whoopsie, I got the wrong forum. Can a mod move this to the right place, please?

-------------------------

Hi guys. I have been researching a bit in the afternoon but I couldn't find the answer to my question, so any help will be much appreciated.

My MacBook Pro has with Lion has been acting very weird lately: One of the desktops has a blue background and you can do nothing on it, it randomly triggers the wallpaper, and all kinds of different issues.

If it matters, I bought this MacBook earlier this year in January, and I purchased Lion via the Mac App store to update it from Snow Leopard.

I am very lazy when it comes to troubleshooting: Whenever I have problems that are wayy too weird, I always format my computers (you can imagine I format my Windows machines quite frequently. ).

The problem I'm having is that I have no idea how to get a DVD with Lion on it, because apparently it's only sold in USB sticks. I don't live in a country with Apple stores and importing these kind of things is not only hard for me, but also expensive. I COULD get a USB Stick via an aunt that lives in the US, but I don't know how they work: Do I really need to have Snow Leopard before upgrading to Lion? I really, REALLY want to format my Mac to put Lion directly on it, without having to go through SL first. Do those Lion USB sticks require you to have Snow Leopard before putting Lion? I can't stress it enough, but I really want to format and install Lion directly, rather than going the 'update' way.

Hi there, this is what u can do:
    Insert the os x installation dvd or the usb stick to the computer. Restart or turn on the computer. Once the screen goes on, before the apple logo appears, hold the ALT key, until you see the boot selection, then choose the dvd or the usb to boot from. Once u boot from the installation image, take ur mouse all the way to the top of the screen, then choose Tools - disk utility. Locate your partition and choose erase! Hope this helps!

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

How old is your MacBook (Year)?
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

If you purchased Lion in the App Store, or if you were to purchase Mountain Lion, wouldnt you be able to do an Internet Recovery straight to Lion or Mountain Lion? I thought that was added in a Software/Firmware update. Or is this only on new machines that came with Lion?

I think thats how I did mine. Mine was purchased beginning of 2011 so it came with Snow Leopard I think, and I know I did the Internet Recovery not long ago when I got a new SSD.

Edit: Sorry, I don't normally visit this specific forum and didn't realize how old this thread was.