+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Q's on changing the Dock W/O using SMB

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
First off, I wanted to say Hi to everyone!! as i am new to the forum and this is my 1st post! I have been using the "googles" to research
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Q's on changing the Dock W/O using SMB
    First off, I wanted to say Hi to everyone!! as i am new to the forum and this is my 1st post!

I have been using the "googles" to research this question, but have received mixed results. So i was wondering if anyone could set me straight in my quest to change my dock without using SMB.

Heres what I know:
    Files associated with the Springboard dock are located under:

/System/Library/CoreServices/ SpringBoard.app/

and are named:

SBDockBG2.png
    SBDockBG.png

I figured that this process shouldn't be much different then changing home screen app icons but so far I FAIL and am not sure what i am doing wrong.

Basically, I take a "known-good" dock.png which i have downloaded, rename it to SBDockBG2.png and SBDockBG.png, then i SSH into the phone and replace the originals with these. (after backing them up) I re-spring and reboot but dont see my changes.

Some sites say i need to just rename the dock.png to SBDockBG.png and delete SBDockBG2 altogether. And other say i need to make SBDockBG2 a transparent dock image and then rename my dock.png to SBDockBG.png...

I am at work and the firewall blocks me form SSH'ing so i have not tried either method, but are either of those the correct solutions? Are there any other files i need to change? I have nothing against using SMB or Customize, I am just a designer and I specialize in UI work, and get joy over hacking the home screen manually (when possible)

Thanks,
    16gb iphone/1.1.4/using Ziphone V2.5/T-Mobile

edit: FYI for those who care: Got home, renamed my dock.png to SBDockBG.png and deleted SBDockBG2.png... it worked prefectly
    Last edited by hieroglyphicks; 03-24-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost