+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: To modd or not to modd ?

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Ok, first i want to make it clear that i dont want to sound like i dont like what im seeing done on the phones, i think everything being done
    Thanks

Default To modd or not to modd ?
    Ok, first i want to make it clear that i dont want to sound like i dont like what im seeing done on the phones, i think everything being done is "COOL", but my question to everyone is what else can i do besides change the colors of my battery....or put new icons to my phone, i mean im happy with just having the iphone why would i bother to go and change the "BATTERY COLOR", or the "ICONS" or put my name instead of the stock "AT&T" next to the signal bars. What else can i get out off skinning my phone or "modding" it?

p.s. Your input will be very helpful in my decision to modd or not to modd.
    ROBERT

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Modders are a special breed. We like to make things the way we want them. So the point of modding anything is to make whatever your modding have your own personal touch. Say you think the battery color will look better blue rather than green, so you mod it exactly how YOU want it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JakeyBoy's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah.... What he said!

previously known as amalone87
    Thanks

Well I have modded Motorola phones before and I was wondering if the iPhone is any different in the difficulty of modding? How easy is it to make your own custom skin/theme? I am leery about modding a $600 phone and don't want to mess it up, but I am wanting to try it so bad because it is so cool to have "your own style" on your phone.

Thanks

Heh, iPhone is so much easier to skin than a moto. With moto you have to make the images, then load into S4m then upload to phone. With iPhone you edot the png you want to change then upload to iPhone.

Thanks

Anyone who hasn't done it yet should. If you mess anything up you can restore and it really isnt hard at all. Then again there is always that risk that you may brick it but ive been on every forum there is along with everyone else and i havent heard of one single person messing it up to where it is unrestorable. Just read all you can on the subject and follow the step by step directions as close as you can.

Thanks

Well I guess I will give it a try tonight. One question, does the battery have to be fully charged like Moto mods?

Thanks

It says for it to be in alot of the guides i read but when i did it with like 80% full and it worked fine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JakeyBoy For This Useful Post:

unknownentry (07-19-2007)

Thanks

Ok thanks I will make sure it's charged before I start tonight.

Thanks

JedixJarf i like how you say special breed. My fear is that i will be the first guy to brick his phone. I read all the threads on how to start skinning my phone they look somewhat complicated, not difficult but much work involved. once you do all that how complicated is it to start adding icons or changing colors on the phone, i havent seen a write up on how to add icons or changing the colors....is it easy?
    ROBERT

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,210 Posts

Check the Wiki, we have skinning (adding icons is the same thing) guides there. It isn't "easy" at first, I mean it is easy, but its fairly involved if you haven't done anything from the command line before. The good news is, we have it documented very well here, and with the vast majority of this, if you type the wrong thing, just nothing is gonna happen.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amalone87 View Post
    Well I guess I will give it a try tonight. One question, does the battery have to be fully charged like Moto mods?
    I've had 2 motorola phones that I modded the heck out of and I never once worried about the battery. I haven't once worried about the battery with the iphone either.

Thanks

Well modding the iPhone is much easier and a lot more fun than modding Moto's. I just am having trouble finding some .png image files that I can edit. There are so many things on this page, but I haven't found half of them in images.

http://www.modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Iphone_images_descriptions_and_locations

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I have to say modding the iphone was so easy and really is safe, unless you manage to break it in the processes but then you just suck.. jk.

But also typing in the terminal makes you feel like a badass

Thanks

O yes it does.