Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: questions involving photoshop

Default questions involving photoshop
    I am new here and I am just starting to learn photoshop and creating graphics and icons with great detail. How are yal making icons and sorts with so much detail with the small rendered outcome. Are you creating them at say 800 x 800 pixels and when done scaling it down to correct size or what. Is there an option in Photoshop to do this that I havent found or what? I see so many icons with so much detail and there is no way it was created at that 128x128 size or whatever size it is. Im just wandering on how this is being accomplished and thanks for the help in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,055 Times in 6,143 Posts

In Photoshop click on the "Window" Menu tab, choose "Navigator" then you can scale the icon to what ever size you want to add detail with the Navigator.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 02-28-2014 at 07:13 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

Kallell (03-01-2014)

Thnks i really appreciate the help, ill give that a shot.

ok i just checked on that and the navigator only magnifies the image to larger sizes which i can also do my holding down the alt key and use the scroll wheel on the mouse. take for instance 3 4 All [iOS7 Icon Set] those icons right there, there is no way this person made a new document in photoshop of say 150 x 150 pixels and got that detail in those icons. So what im asking is did he make the icons at say 600 x 600 and then when finished scaled it down to the 150 x 150 so it would work as an iOS icon. cause if he created it at 150 x 150 it would be very pixelated and wouldnt be able to get that kind of detail in it. TIA
    Last edited by Kallell; 03-01-2014 at 12:07 AM.

Ok i may have figured it out. So say i create the psd for the icon at 1000x1000 pixels to get alot of detail into it. Instead of then shrinking the icon psd to the size I want the icon to be, go ahead and save it as a png file at the reg size. Then open the png file in photoshop and decrease the size of it to the icon size of say 150x150 if that is the size it needs to be? does this look correct. I know with the navigator i can magnify the document which i can also do holding down the Alt key and using the mouse wheel. But that is not what im asking. Thanks for your help tho, it is much appreciated

Thanks
    Thanked 3,789 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kallell View Post
    Ok i may have figured it out. So say i create the psd for the icon at 1000x1000 pixels to get alot of detail into it. Instead of then shrinking the icon psd to the size I want the icon to be, go ahead and save it as a png file at the reg size. Then open the png file in photoshop and decrease the size of it to the icon size of say 150x150 if that is the size it needs to be? does this look correct. I know with the navigator i can magnify the document which i can also do holding down the Alt key and using the mouse wheel. But that is not what im asking. Thanks for your help tho, it is much appreciated
    That's how I like to do it - work with a large .psd file, save the icon as a .png file, then scale it down with Preview (I find Preview easier for this than Photoshop, but that's just me).

Thanks
    Thanked 10,055 Times in 6,143 Posts

^That's how I do it also.^ I think I misunderstood you.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 03-01-2014 at 02:37 PM.