Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydget for iOS 7 (make LockScreen plugins with HTML and Cycript)

Quote Originally Posted by June'sIphone View Post
    Don't we all.
    Very true but it may be different for him.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,502 Times in 7,090 Posts

Would be cool if a switch could be added to allow the lockscreen to keep running in the background when screen is off. It's nice for battery saving purposes the way it is now. But having the choice to keep it running would be a big plus in my opinion.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

June'sIphone (01-26-2014), Krima (01-26-2014)

Official SaurikIT Support
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Would be cool if a switch could be added to allow the lockscreen to keep running in the background when screen is off. It's nice for battery saving purposes the way it is now. But having the choice to keep it running would be a big plus in my opinion.
    Interesting, what would this be useful for? Which kinds of lockscreens would you like to keep running when the screen is off?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brittag For This Useful Post:

June'sIphone (01-26-2014), Simon (01-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by brittag View Post
    Interesting, what would this be useful for? Which kinds of lockscreens would you like to keep running when the screen is off?
    You may only spend a few seconds on your lock screen when you get a msg. It's nice to unlock your device and have your lock screen right there where you left it instead of loading the cydget. This has always been my major issue with cydget and why I prefer other theming engines.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (01-26-2014), Simon (01-26-2014), tcm1998 (02-09-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brittag View Post
    One example would be a slideshow, unless it is a random slideshow if it starts every time again when you turn screen on you will never get to the end of the slideshow. Another would be as Krima said above, having to wait for the lockscreen to load everytime you want to quickly check it out can be a little annoying, especially with the way the screen is dimmed with cydgets at first while it loads. Being able to just turn the screen on and the lockscreen is right there as you left it is something a lot of people would want I would think. I don't think it should be all the time though as some people would probably prefer to have it not running to save battery, so maybe a switch in cydget settings leaving it to personal preference would do.

Another example would be a UNIAW lockscreen, it has weather animations on a timed loop, so with cydgets right now that would start at the beginning of the loop everytime you turn your screen on. If it could be allowed to keep running you could see further progression in those animations (for example the clouds or balloons traveling across the sky) without having to try to keep your screen lit for so long.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (01-26-2014), King_O_Hill (01-26-2014), Krima (01-26-2014)

One example would be a slideshow, unless it is a random slideshow if it starts every time again when you turn screen on you will never get to the end of the slideshow.
    You should store the position in the slideshow using HTML 5 localStorage. The behavior would be that each time the lock screen starts up it gets the current index, adds one, stores it back to localStorage, and then shows that image. If there's some kind of bug with HTML5 localStorage then someone should file a bug against that.

Another would be as Krima said above, having to wait for the lockscreen to load everytime you want to quickly check it out can be a little annoying,
    Interesting; do you have an example of a particularly slow Cydget that fails to load by the time the screen undims? All of the ones people have been testing with on /r/iOSthemes feel pretty instantaneous. They can't *quite* keep up with rapidly switching Cydgets, but the device takes 50-100 milliseconds or so to build the lock interface for undim anyway, and that's enough for them to render. (I currently thereby consider the way Cydget handles switching Cydgets to be somewhat of a bug: it should give a little lead time to the next Cydget before removing the previous one.)

especially with the way the screen is dimmed with cydgets at first while it loads. Being able to just turn the screen on and the lockscreen is right there as you left it is something a lot of people would want I would think.
    This feature of iOS 7 would not be affected by keeping the HTML page loaded in the background: the fade was present before you installed Cydget. Would you like a setting to turn off the fade? This would be unrelated to the request "keep Cydget loaded in the background". On iOS 6 the lock screen "pops" up when you press the home button, and in my tests even Cydgets that load large random images (such as PhotoExample) are able to "keep up" with this behavior.

I don't think it should be all the time though as some people would probably prefer to have it not running to save battery, so maybe a switch in cydget settings leaving it to personal preference would do.
    As this seems to be more "work around deficiencies in the design of the lock screen HTML" (such as "didn't store where it was in the slideshow anywhere so it could continue where it left off" or "didn't think through what happens when the device is dim") this seems like it would be more a property of each individual lockscreen than a global setting the user would ever want to manipulate.

Another example would be a UNIAW lockscreen, it has weather animations on a timed loop, so with cydgets right now that would start at the beginning of the loop everytime you turn your screen on. If it could be allowed to keep running you could see further progression in those animations (for example the clouds or balloons traveling across the sky) without having to try to keep your screen lit for so long.
    This particular use case seems like it would be most simply and correctly solved by taking the current time modulo the length of the animation and using that as the starting point into the animation. That way if you had a five minute long animation, turned the device off for three minutes, and turned it back on, you would have progressed three minutes into the animation. This is a much better solution than trying to run the animation permanently in the background :/.

Like, the running train throughout all of these thoughts seems to be based on a weirdly flawed assumption that "running in the background" is the best solution to any of these problems. I will argue that not only is it not the best solution, it is not even the easiest solution, nor is it likely even a solution at all as it just causes other problems that then need to be solved, as if playing a game of "whack-a-mole".

Let's put it this way: if your slideshow is always running, and that's your solution to "not making progress", then it may as well be random, because either 1) it is changing constantly even when you aren't looking at it, and you thereby are unable to predict where it will end up next time you lock your device, or 2) it never changes, because you don't know when to go to the next one.

The way you should think about "your Cydget was loaded" is "you are now being displayed". If you were somehow always running then you'd additionally need some kind of HTML event to determine "you are now being displayed". You don't need to always be running to keep state from one instance to the other, nor do you need to keep state for an animation to be perfectly timed while it is dimmed.

This means you are going to be doing even more work to figure out more Cydget-specific features to deal with event dispatch than you would to just use something like "the current time" or "the saved position from last time" to do your animations, cycling, and updates. Meanwhile, any Cydget that was already designed in a more intelligent manner would break, because they would simply never update :(.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to saurik For This Useful Post:

June'sIphone (01-27-2014), King_O_Hill (01-27-2014), Krima (01-27-2014), mfisherbsu (03-12-2014), Simon (01-27-2014), The_Durben (01-30-2014)

Thanks

Thanks for the response. A lot of what you say makes sense. But I don't think you quite understand what it is that people want. It's one of the reasons winterboard was the popular choice over cydgets for html lockscreens on iOS 6.
    Here are some direct comparisons between 2 different lockscreens, a simple one and a more animated one. I'm not trying to argue that any of what you said is wrong. But maybe seeing real time examples can show you why it is that people tend to be turned off by cydgets.

http://youtu.be/PFhZ1iJaf4g

http://youtu.be/lL8I-oPjEJw

http://youtu.be/evv63b5ORQM

http://youtu.be/aw3pSVeZ0qQ

First two are exact same lockscreen, one in groovylock, one in cydget. And last two are same as well. Second example is by far a bigger difference, but you can see the difference even in the first one.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

June'sIphone (01-27-2014), King_O_Hill (01-28-2014), Krima (01-27-2014), RKO1195 (01-27-2014)

Thanks for the response. A lot of what you say makes sense. But I don't think you quite understand what it is that people want. It's one of the reasons winterboard was the popular choice over cydgets for html lockscreens on iOS 6.
    I do not believe WinterBoard had the feature you are asking for; if it did, that was actually a rather serious bug.

Here are some direct comparisons between 2 different lockscreens, a simple one and a more animated one. I'm not trying to argue that any of what you said is wrong. But maybe seeing real time examples can show you why it is that people tend to be turned off by cydgets. ... First two are exact same lockscreen, one in groovylock, one in cydget. And last two are same as well. Second example is by far a bigger difference, but you can see the difference even in the first one.
    I have watched all of these videos, and I'm sorry, but this just makes it even more clear that I know exactly what you are asking for, and that you aren't really listening to my response. In fact, the GroovyLock examples are not actually that good, because they don't take advantage of the knowledge of when the device was unlocked to time transitions in the slide show. (Note, however, that if you *wanted* the behavior of the GroovyLock pages, that would also be trivial for you to do in your Cydget.)

To repeat: the way you solve the slideshow problem is that every time you switch to a new entry you store the index of that entry in HTML5 local storage. This is a single line of highly-intuitive JavaScript of an order much easier than the complex code required to implement a slideshow: if you can build a slideshow, you can store the state of the slideshow in HTML5 local storage. (Again: maybe HTML5 local storage is somehow broken for your use case, in which case you can tell me and I'll fix it; I am more than willing to believe it doesn't work.)

When the device is unlocked, you then show the previous state of the slideshow, wait one second, animate to the next entry, and then store the index of that next entry in HTML5 local storage. This is *better* than the incorrect solution you have with GroovyLock, as it will guarantee that the user will have that delightful transition at just the right moment: that is information you simply do not have available with your GroovyLock solution.

There is another difference, however, that you seem to have added to your slideshow example, which I am not certain why you did: you seem to be fading the wallpaper from nothing to the component of the slideshow as the user undims their screen. I highly recommend just popping the image up so that it shows when the user unlocks their device, rather than showing the default wallpaper and fading into the new wallpaper like that.

With the animation problem, the correct thing to do is to use the current time modulo the length of the animation as the start point of the animation. When the device unlocks, you start the animation at that time offset. This provides the illusion that the animation is constantly running, but without any of the costs of actually constantly running the animation. Actually constantly running the animation is not a good solution to the problem: there is no legitimate reason you should be attempting to run expensive animation sequences while the phone is dimmed.

The only thing I can come up with for that example is that maybe your animation is some kind of really slow-to-load component? I can't quite tell (due to the low-resolution of the videos combined with the "illusion of movement"), but it seems like those are just static images that you are transforming, right? In which case you should be able to get them to load instantly when the page comes up at the right transform. I am not certain why you have implemented it with such a long delay (as if it really is just an image you should be able to get it to pop more... photo example does pretty well).

In essence, what you are showing me are examples that only show the following: if you build your Cydget assuming you have the feature that I'm saying is a bad idea for everyone (users, artists... everyone), and I don't provide that feature, the result doesn't work well. That isn't surprising. However, with quite minimal effort, you could have instead built your Cydget assuming the features I actually already provide, and you'd have a fundamentally better result: it would not only use less battery power, but it would also look and function better.

I thereby must implore you to contemplate that maybe I actually do have some idea of what I'm talking about, and that I might actually have some insight into what's possible, or even what is easy, to accomplish using JavaScript. If you are willing to at least consider this, and maybe try implementing your lockscreens in a way that stores state rather than requiring them to be constantly running, I am very confident you will become a convert forever, and hate GroovyLock's "feature".
    Last edited by saurik; 01-28-2014 at 02:45 PM.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to saurik For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-28-2014), mfisherbsu (03-12-2014), Simon (01-28-2014), The_Durben (01-30-2014)

Master Theme Creator June'sIphone's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,371 Times in 3,770 Posts

I have localStorage via Cydget working well, on what is many devices right now.

Just to addon. JavaScript does have a window onunload function, just as the onLoad function works. It will run when the html is unloaded. I haven't tested this with the new Cydget, but it worked in previous versions.

Maybe you could trigger when your Lockscreen is unloaded and save your animation point then in localStorage. Just an option.

I also don't have this loading animation as you showed in your videos with cydget.

Some examples

Code:
    var slideshowstopped="somevariblestuff position of slideshow id suggest"

window.onunload=function(){

localStorage.setItem('SS', slideshowstopped); //set item to local storage with name SS

};

window.onload=function(){
     var whendiditstop = localStorage.getItem('SS'); // get item from local storage

//after you get it you could start your slideshow with that varible

startslidshow(whendiditstop);
    }

function slideshow(stopped){

// more code or another function to start your slideshow
    }
    }
    Last edited by June'sIphone; 01-28-2014 at 03:39 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to June'sIphone For This Useful Post:

Simon (01-28-2014), The_Durben (01-30-2014)

Thanks

Sorry, I should have mentioned those slideshows were set to random, so that issue isn't really there for those ones. I did (and do) like your idea of saving the slideshow state so that the transition between pictures can be enjoyed and not missed because the screen is off. Would that be implemented using some form of this: jStorage - simple JavaScript plugin to store data locally
    I was more just trying to convey the loading time associated with cydget in comparison to GroovyLock. I wish I could figure out how to make that second one load faster, I am just not there yet (still learning all this, this time last year I knew absolutely zero about html/CSS/javascript). The more I add in terms of animation, transitions and calls for weather info etc the longer the initial load time. The first example was a very minimum slideshow with weather, it has the fade in at the beginning which compensates for the second or two it takes to load, it just looks better doing it that way as opposed to the LS not being there 1 second and just poofing in the next. Not sure what you mean about the wallpaper behind, that is always there as far as I know before the widget selected loads, GroovyLock has UIwebview set to transparent so that's just my normal set lockscreen wallpaper blurred, I assumed Cydgets was the same (but may be mistaken). The second slideshow is much more involved so requires 4-5 seconds to load initially, can't really be compared to your photo sample widget as it is having to load and do quite a bit more than just load 1 picture. In GroovyLock/winterboard/LockHTML this isn't a huge issue because once it loads I'm good until the next time I actually unlock the device. Would local storage or some other method be able to not only save the position state of the slideshow but also the load state so that that first initial 4-5 second load time could be eliminated? I guess in a similar fashion to how normal app store apps perform? Maybe that is something that can be instuted on your end by having cydgets perform the task of saving the state of the loaded widget when the screen goes off so that when the screen comes back on that save state can be almost instantaneously loaded and carry on where it left off? Or maybe that is something I would have to do on my end, I'm not sure.

Winterboard did indeed perform this way on iOS6, as did LockHTML2 and now GroovyLock and LockHTML3 on iOS7.

Here's three more cydget feature requests:

1: Have cydgets remember which cydget you left it on so the next time the screen is turned on the cydget last viewed would come up first instead of reverting back to the first cydget.

2: Maybe build in a lockscreen dim delayer. There have been tweaks to do this in the past, but none exist on iOS7 (that I am aware of). I am thinking it could be a convenient feature for cydgets to have itself as a little add on.

3: Have cydgets stored in a different location or automatically symlink a location to the current one if it is absolutely necessary for cydgets to be on the much smaller system partition.

Thanks for the highly detailed responses btw. I do appreciate you trying to make me get the most out of myself, sometimes life can get in the way of that though (having 3 children doesn't help lol) but it's good to know that maybe one day I will be able to get out of my little box lol

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (01-28-2014), mfisherbsu (03-12-2014), RKO1195 (01-28-2014), The_Durben (02-08-2014)

Thanks

Think I have found a bug with cydget, but I want to make sure it isn't just my device.

If I use foreground and background htmls like

Homepage = "foreground.html";
    Background = "background.html";

The photo set from camera roll shows, more than the cydget that should load does. If the home button is pressed the cydget will then load. It does not happen every time, but happens very often. Can anyone test this. The default cydget PhotoExamplePlus uses this technique you can test with it.

Here is a video of what its doing for me. Help - YouTube

The red wallpaper is just a wallpaper set to the lockscreen via settings. I really don't think it should show at all.

What I am trying to do. A few users do not like how the notifications are, when a notification comes in cydget will show this (settings set wallpaper) blurred with the notifications on it. What "some" users want is the notifications to show on top of the cydget. This is possible by setting

NotificationList = YES;

When this is done, you can no longer touch interact with the cydget. Because the notification layer is on top of cydget, but by using what I mentioned above.

You can use a top and bottom html. The bottom html being where the notifications will be displayed. I then take this bottom html and whatever wallpaper is set on the top html will show on the bottom html as well.

This way whenever a notification comes in, it seems like you never left the original cydget. Answers a few peoples requests, but this bug is holding me back. Just want to make sure it is cydgets and not just what I have installed on my phone. Thanks

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to June'sIphone For This Useful Post:

Krima (02-01-2014), RKO1195 (02-03-2014), The_Durben (02-08-2014)

Think I have found a bug with cydget, but I want to make sure it isn't just my device.

If I use foreground and background htmls like

Homepage = "foreground.html";
    Background = "background.html";

The photo set from camera roll shows, more than the cydget that should load does. If the home button is pressed the cydget will then load. It does not happen every time, but happens very often. Can anyone test this. The default cydget PhotoExamplePlus uses this technique you can test with it.

Here is a video of what its doing for me. Help - YouTube

The red wallpaper is just a wallpaper set to the lockscreen via settings. I really don't think it should show at all.

What I am trying to do. A few users do not like how the notifications are, when a notification comes in cydget will show this (settings set wallpaper) blurred with the notifications on it. What "some" users want is the notifications to show on top of the cydget. This is possible by setting

NotificationList = YES;

When this is done, you can no longer touch interact with the cydget. Because the notification layer is on top of cydget, but by using what I mentioned above.

You can use a top and bottom html. The bottom html being where the notifications will be displayed. I then take this bottom html and whatever wallpaper is set on the top html will show on the bottom html as well.

This way whenever a notification comes in, it seems like you never left the original cydget. Answers a few peoples requests, but this bug is holding me back. Just want to make sure it is cydgets and not just what I have installed on my phone. Thanks
    I'm pretty sure that I've noticed the same behavior.

I'll see if I can't give this a try when I get home.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Freakdog For This Useful Post:

June'sIphone (02-02-2014)

June, that was happening to me as well, just wasn't sure how to explain it. Also figured it may have been some conflict between using concept and jelly, wasn't sure. But, you are not alone in exeriencing that.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to VikingRyan907 For This Useful Post:

June this has been happening to me as well...on tweets active for LS are your ConceptLS, groovylock(disabled) & widget weather

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BootsBrown For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BootsBrown View Post
    June this has been happening to me as well...on tweets active for LS are your ConceptLS, groovylock(disabled) & widget weather
    Can you try it with just the photo example. Just to see.

Hey June, i was thinking about this... Do you have the hidden settings 7 tweak on your phone? Has a lot of stuff you can mess with the native lockscreen stuff and wallpapers, wondering if there might be something in there that could be messed with to make this less noticable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VikingRyan907 View Post
    Hey June, i was thinking about this... Do you have the hidden settings 7 tweak on your phone? Has a lot of stuff you can mess with the native lockscreen stuff and wallpapers, wondering if there might be something in there that could be messed with to make this less noticable.
    No I stayed away from this tweak. Thinking about running iLexRat tonight to see if that helps.

No I stayed away from this tweak. Thinking about running iLexRat tonight to see if that helps.
    What's happening with your phone man.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    What's happening with your phone man.
    Well seems the bug on post #31 only consistently happens on my phone. I've turned of all mobile substrates, cleared all cache, reset settings, reinstalled cydgets and it still happens the exact way every time I unlock/lock my phone.

I tested on 3 other 5s phones today and doesn't happen. Even discussed it with Saurik and even though he knows this happens randomly. It doesn't happen every time.

my issue Cydget Bug - YouTube

That's a weird issue. Did you happen to have LockHTML 3 at some point and if so, was it the beta?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast