+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: custom icons for buuf2

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
hey all, new to the forum. just started messing around with winterboard and new themes. i recently downloaded buuf2 but can't seem to get the icons i want. maybe i
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default custom icons for buuf2
    hey all, new to the forum. just started messing around with winterboard and new themes. i recently downloaded buuf2 but can't seem to get the icons i want. maybe i am not using winterboard correctly, not sure.

there are 3 choices for buuf2 under themes in winterboard, buuf2 ios, ibuuf and buuf2 ios additional icons. i figured if i checked them all most of my springboard icons would change, but only a handful updated. i SSH'd into the phone and browsed around all the icons. most were in buuf2 additional icons.

i would assume if i have all the theme choices checked off it would grab all the possible icons that match my apps. is that not how it is supposed to work?

i also created a custom theme icon folder based on some tutorials i found, but that isnt working either.

can anyone help me out?

thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,014 Posts

What iOS & device? These help to trouble shoot.

iOS6X theme thread here iOS6x Theme GUIDE

iOS7X theme thread here
    iOS7x Theme GUIDE

iOS7 is a different beast to iOS6 so if you wanting things to theme on that u will need to be patient.

WinterBoard has not even been updated for 7X support
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

iphone4 + ios6.1
    iphone4 + ios6.1

Thanks

Kinda. WB works in a hierarchy scheme. The highest theme ticked overrides the below selected themes if they both try to theme the same image.

Best to look at the start of the 6X guide & look under Default app icons. I noted all icon names & bundle IDs.

For pngs to be themed it must be exactly the same filename as it is replacing & is case sensitive + the correct Bundle ID.

I think your issue is just making sure all the icon names are as the iOS would expect. If its incorrect...it won't theme...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (01-06-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,693 Times in 5,954 Posts

^nice job my friend.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (01-07-2014)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    Kinda. WB works in a hierarchy scheme. The highest theme ticked overrides the below selected themes if they both try to theme the same image.

Best to look at the start of the 6X guide & look under Default app icons. I noted all icon names & bundle IDs.

For pngs to be themed it must be exactly the same filename as it is replacing & is case sensitive + the correct Bundle ID.

I think your issue is just making sure all the icon names are as the iOS would expect. If its incorrect...it won't theme...
    i read through a lot of your guide. most was over my head really. seems like i need to rename the icons i want with the @2x.png suffix. but where does the bundle ID come into play? also i am using ifunbox to search the iphone libraries. yesterday i can swear i was able to right click an icon and see the bundle id, but today i can't seem to do that.

thanks for the help
    Last edited by mrsteve0924; 01-07-2014 at 09:06 AM.
    iphone4 + ios6.1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ^nice job my friend.
    Thanks blkcadi! Happy to help where I can!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i attempted to post a reply here yesterday. after i submitted it a message popped up saying it had to be approved by an admin first. not sure why. can anyone tell me? and how long does that process usually take???
    Last edited by mrsteve0924; 01-07-2014 at 09:08 AM.
    iphone4 + ios6.1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrsteve0924 View Post
    i read through a lot of your guide. most was over my head really. seems like i need to rename the icons i want with the @2x.png suffix. but where does the bundle ID come into play? also i am using ifunbox to search the iphone libraries. yesterday i can swear i was able to right click an icon and see the bundle id, but today i can't seem to do that.

thanks for the help
    Yes for Retina devices i.e iPhone 4 up then yes it requires "@2x" included in the filename. The icon names I listed are as per what the iOS expects.

Question tho, are you running WB in SummerBoard mode? That's different altogether.

The Bundle ID comes into play if themeing via WB. The Bundle ID is what the iOS searches for at runtime.So WB uses the same method for themeing. Essentially duplicating the iOS's directory.

You might see the path when hovering the mouse over the icon, the icons should really be included in the Bundle ID folders unless you're themeing via SummerBoard.

Can you post a screenshot of one of you icons in iFunbox. It should show me the path etc too.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

oh i didnt realize @2x was just for retina display. i dont think my iphone 4 has that.

yes wb in summerboard mode. if not theme does not work. here is a screenshot

ifunbox.jpg
    iphone4 + ios6.1

Thanks

SummerBoard mode? Why SummerBoard mode? That's an ancient OLD method for themeing. Can it not be updated to work as WinterBoard was designed to?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    SummerBoard mode? Why SummerBoard mode? That's an ancient OLD method for themeing. Can it not be updated to work as WinterBoard was designed to?
    i think i might have not explained my issue correctly. i am not trying to create custom icons for this theme. i am just trying to get the current available icons for this theme to replace all my springboard icons. seems only some of my SB icons are replaced. i see that there are a few different folders (see previous ifunbox screenshot) for icons. i have them all checked off in WB so more SB icons should be replaced.

i came across a tutorial that suggested i needed to move the icons into another folder and re-name them but that hasn't worked.

here's the link to the tutorial Customising the Buuf2 Winterboard Theme | Petescrap
    iphone4 + ios6.1