+ Reply
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS7 .car File Extractor / Compactor! Start of a New Theming Platform?

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Happy to help guys but after trying every single angle to get my iPhone 4 / iOS 7.0.2 to mount my ssh RAMdisk that I've put together, no luck -
    Evil Genius Developer GroovyCarrot's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 401 Posts

Happy to help guys but after trying every single angle to get my iPhone 4 / iOS 7.0.2 to mount my ssh RAMdisk that I've put together, no luck - the automatic ssh RAMdisk tool doesn't work for me either and only grabs iOS 5.1.1 iv's and keys so not sure if that is the problem but other people have had success

So I haven't had a chance to experiment development on ios7. I've been told mobile substrate works but not on springboard; whether that simply comes down to the changed headers or something deeper down we'll have to see. With the UIKit redesign too, establishing a suitable hook to either develop a new theming platform or update winterboard may be difficult

Can't really give definite answers until I can get my phone jailbroke though so i'll keep trying I guess, if anyone has had success I'm all ears but pretty sure I've tried everything

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GroovyCarrot For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-12-2013), Jato_BZ (10-11-2013), King_O_Hill (10-11-2013), RKO1195 (10-12-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,283 Times in 1,872 Posts

Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-12-2013), King_O_Hill (10-11-2013)

Thanks

Yeah after trying the automatic java script and failing, I put together a restoreramdisk.dmg.ssh using the keys, built fine but as far as I know only opensn0w can interface with the i4/7.0.2 but trying arguments opensn0w -r [ramdisk.dmg.ssh] -p [i4/7.0.2] it seems to ignore the RAMdisk and proceeds to jailbreak and boot the phone up, fairly useless without r/w file system access though so back to square one. Unless I'm doing something wrong there but everything I've read on it just points to the automatic script and the few that have managed it have success there

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GroovyCarrot For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-12-2013), Jato_BZ (10-11-2013), King_O_Hill (10-11-2013), RKO1195 (10-12-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,764 Times in 1,603 Posts

well i was reading all this great ideas and i don't know much of codding and my be is an stupid idea but what if apple think like google?how the themes can be installed on android?what if now apple did those car files like apk to be installed?i don't know very much things about android because i am not an fan of it but who have iphone and android my be they know what i mean.and if saurik need time to make winterboard working on ios7 then he has all the time in the world no one rush him if he has an idea or solution and need to think how to make it simple as possible then we need to wait.my be the idea with ios and android is an stupid one but hey who knows

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cocco26 For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (10-11-2013), King_O_Hill (10-11-2013)

Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    No, I agree he should be able to just like he did with the .artwork files. It wasnt really about it using .car methods strictly without WB but as an interim alternative while there is no JB to get a look in. PLUS to give users the option to extract any given .car file upon request. Currently you are restricted to XCode doing it natively & missing some of the .car files & PC users are effectively screwed.

How are normal themers supposed to access .car files that will be on their iDevice at this stage without Xcode? Can they be extracted without Xcode? I don't know those answers...
    In a universe where WinterBoard did not ever succeed in figuring out where .car files were loaded, you would of course always still be able to use WinterBoard to replace the .car file with a different .car file. I am confused why you seem to be taking about some kind of light version of WinterBoard that only works with .car files: WinterBoard can replace any file inside of a bundle looked up by the resource system (and could always be modified to drop a hook down to open itself). I mean, WinterBoard's lack of support for iOS 6, exemplified by an inability to theme inside of most .artwork files, never stopped theme artists from just replacing the entire .artwork file. As I've said before: the ideal situation is that instead of spending time reverse engineering the file format of a car file, someone spends the time to reverse engineer what functions load images from the car file; the file format of the car file can continue to remain elusive: it isn't like I know how to decompile a .artwork file, and yet WinterBoard can theme the artwork files being used by Preferences for the preference bundle icons just fine ;P.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to saurik For This Useful Post:

cocco26 (10-12-2013), June'sIphone (10-12-2013), King_O_Hill (10-12-2013), NewdestinyX (10-12-2013), Smitbeat (10-13-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    In a universe where WinterBoard did not ever succeed in figuring out where .car files were loaded, you would of course always still be able to use WinterBoard to replace the .car file with a different .car file. I am confused why you seem to be taking about some kind of light version of WinterBoard that only works with .car files: WinterBoard can replace any file inside of a bundle looked up by the resource system (and could always be modified to drop a hook down to open itself). I mean, WinterBoard's lack of support for iOS 6, exemplified by an inability to theme inside of most .artwork files, never stopped theme artists from just replacing the entire .artwork file. As I've said before: the ideal situation is that instead of spending time reverse engineering the file format of a car file, someone spends the time to reverse engineer what functions load images from the car file; the file format of the car file can continue to remain elusive: it isn't like I know how to decompile a .artwork file, and yet WinterBoard can theme the artwork files being used by Preferences for the preference bundle icons just fine ;P.
    Of course, I do that already with iOS6 for .artwork files that do not theme as you have pointed out. I never said WinterBoard (WB) would only be sole dependant on using .car files as stated. The idea about this thread was to openly discuss foreseeable issues with the .car files and the possible ramifications it may OR may not pose for themeing in iOS7. It was quoted that without support (and apparently taken out of context) that it looked bleak for iOS7 moving forward here, of course that has now been updated after theme artists/devs did reach out and show/provide support. I agree with the statement that perhaps time could be more productively spent looking into what functions load images from the .car files. The idea behind extracting .car files (with or without Xcode) is essentially you are going to need a library of pngs/images to theme those .car files. Ultimately all theme creators usually try and grab the .artwork files from someone/somewhere to get the exact names and pngs used by the iOS as WB doesn't record/store every png, almost but not all hence the reason I believe these files do need to be extracted one way or another. The Settings Menu file you talk about "iconCache.artwork" was an easy one to work out png wise. A theme creator/themer could take a look in PreferenceBundles and guess most of them and also factor in things didn't really change too much from iOS5 for those icons. Not all were located in the PrefBundles & certainly not the names. The information required was located within the Preferences.app in the "Settings.plist" every name & every image used.

At the end of the day, as stated above its a discussion about iOS7 and what we know so far and well what we don't. I for one hope WB can be updated to theme iOS7 effectively as it has done in the previous firmwares.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

broodwar (10-12-2013), cocco26 (10-12-2013), King_O_Hill (10-12-2013), Krima (10-12-2013), NewdestinyX (10-12-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,494 Times in 3,569 Posts

Ha, Saurik !

Great to have you on the thread.

You seem to be positive about WinterBoard being able to once again deal with the changes in iOS, great great stuff thank you !
    Originally Posted by vXBaKeRXv
    This dude people is nothing but negative. "ALFROGGY"

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alfroggy For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (10-12-2013), Krima (10-12-2013)

Thanks

Of course, I do that already with iOS6 for .artwork files that do not theme as you have pointed out. I never said WinterBoard (WB) would only be sole dependant on using .car files as stated. The idea about this thread was to openly discuss foreseeable issues with the .car files and the possible ramifications it may OR may not pose for themeing in iOS7. It was quoted that without support (and apparently taken out of context) that it looked bleak for iOS7 moving forward here, of course that has now been updated after theme artists/devs did reach out and show/provide support. I agree with the statement that perhaps time could be more productively spent looking into what functions load images from the .car files. The idea behind extracting .car files (with or without Xcode) is essentially you are going to need a library of pngs/images to theme those .car files. Ultimately all theme creators usually try and grab the .artwork files from someone/somewhere to get the exact names and pngs used by the iOS as WB doesn't record/store every png, almost but not all hence the reason I believe these files do need to be extracted one way or another. The Settings Menu file you talk about "iconCache.artwork" was an easy one to work out png wise. A theme creator/themer could take a look in PreferenceBundles and guess most of them and also factor in things didn't really change too much from iOS5 for those icons. Not all were located in the PrefBundles & certainly not the names. The information required was located within the Preferences.app in the "Settings.plist" every name & every image used.

At the end of the day, as stated above its a discussion about iOS7 and what we know so far and well what we don't. I for one hope WB can be updated to theme iOS7 effectively as it has done in the previous firmwares.
    It will be hard for you guys that theme the iOS ui images without having a dump of those files or ideally the files extracted from the library, as you said whether that's just for UIKit or the rest of the system.

As winterboard already demonstrates though, if you can find a hook into the methods that retrieve images from the car files, you can replace that image or dump the original to be themed - problem with this method is that it relies the image being called in order to output it and so may be difficult to completely theme the OS if images are called by various functions, which is more than likely. It will be much easier to work like that than reverse engineering car files though

@saurik if you read this: had you had a chance to see if mobilesubstrate works as expected yet? I don't mean tweaks working I just mean hooking operations, whether the headers are the same or not

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GroovyCarrot For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-12-2013), Jato_BZ (10-12-2013), King_O_Hill (10-12-2013), RKO1195 (10-12-2013)

Master Theme Creator June'sIphone's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,793 Times in 3,578 Posts

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to June'sIphone For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-12-2013), BenderRodriguez (10-15-2013), cocco26 (10-12-2013), GroovyCarrot (10-12-2013), Jato_BZ (10-12-2013), King_O_Hill (10-12-2013), RKO1195 (10-12-2013), Simon (10-16-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by June'sIphone View Post
    Ah sweet June, thanks for the info

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GroovyCarrot For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-12-2013), BenderRodriguez (10-15-2013), cocco26 (10-12-2013), King_O_Hill (10-12-2013), RKO1195 (10-12-2013), Simon (10-16-2013)

Thanks

Guys, had a bit more of a dig around in the iOS7 GM. Was looking at the Compass app...ImageUploadedByModMyi1381971295.088856.jpg
    interestingly enough there's not many pngs left in the iOS7 version. ImageUploadedByModMyi1381971059.857457.jpg
    Also there is now a dedicated "CompassUI.framework" folder in "PrivateFrameworks" it contains ImageUploadedByModMyi1381971159.439149.jpg .vsh & .fsh files. Anyone have any experience with these files? Assume they are responsible for drawing the lines / vectors?

FYI - there's about a 100 additional folders in the PrivateFramework now. That's staggering

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-17-2013), dsg (10-16-2013), King_O_Hill (10-16-2013), Simon (10-16-2013)

Thanks

Yeah v and f sh files handle vertices or coordinates, and fragment shader which is colour I think. They are for OpenGL and handle stuff that's executed on the gpu. Should be ASCII I'd imagine unless there's a binary format? Could check them out in a text editor and see

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GroovyCarrot For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-17-2013), Jato_BZ (10-16-2013), King_O_Hill (10-16-2013), RKO1195 (10-17-2013)

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,366 Times in 5,994 Posts

Yeah, that's the first thing that I do is open files with a text editor to see if its something that I can make head or tails from.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-17-2013), Jato_BZ (10-16-2013), RKO1195 (10-17-2013)

Thanks

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-17-2013), broodwar (10-17-2013), cocco26 (10-25-2013), dsg (10-16-2013), King_O_Hill (10-16-2013)

Thanks

Looks like it Attachment 648823

Another one Attachment 648824
    Appears editable...

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alfroggy For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (10-17-2013), King_O_Hill (11-01-2013)

Thanks

It seems like car files compress the images they contain. Using cartool to extract UIKit_NewArtwork.car the source file is 545kb, and the extracted images amount to a total of 1,440kb.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jk9357 For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (11-01-2013), broodwar (11-02-2013), cocco26 (11-01-2013), Jato_BZ (11-01-2013), King_O_Hill (11-01-2013)

Thanks

Yeah probably, it'll be more of a bugger if the resources use various compression methods which is more than likely - though most of the time it'll be zip or tar compressions I highly doubt it would be anything else

Chances are there'll be an index of file names in the car file specifying compression with an integer index if multiple compressions are used (0=none, 1=tar, 2=zip, etc)

Car files could be quite easily decompressed if you can work out the size of the header and if there's a file index - generally the index of files contains an address/length for the file data and compression method.

I'd imagine tar would be bundled since it's standard with unix but Apple may have thrown in zip too, anyone with filesystem access would be able to tell you - at least you'd get an idea of compression methods available to the OS

I'm guessing the car file is loaded - indexes read - data loaded from address - decompressed with tar/zip into memory if compression is used - image allocated to UIImageView, and released from memory

Clues for finding an index in the car file could be done with a hex editor and looking for a list of file names

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GroovyCarrot For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (11-09-2013), King_O_Hill (11-09-2013), RKO1195 (12-01-2013)

Thanks

Wow sounds like you've thought this novelty out in advance. File access, anyone ?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Alfroggy For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (11-09-2013)

Thanks

I'd look myself but it's a bit of a time consuming task and I don't have any car files to look at anyway, you'd be looking for similarities in file structure between them

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GroovyCarrot For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (11-09-2013), King_O_Hill (11-09-2013)

Thanks

Did u check post #4 (mine) , I quoted directly from Dave Peck who extracted the .artwork files. He made it sound like it would be hard as hell to extract without Xcode etc...

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (11-09-2013)