+ Reply
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS7 .car File Extractor / Compactor! Start of a New Theming Platform?

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Would be great if it was that simple. I'm comforted by the fact that some talented people are looking into this.
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,706 Times in 2,415 Posts

Would be great if it was that simple. I'm comforted by the fact that some talented people are looking into this.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-12-2013), cocco26 (10-10-2013), King_O_Hill (10-10-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,021 Times in 4,527 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Maybe this was already covered but I just didn't understand it correctly. Is it possible that this .car file wouldn't have to be repackaged? Instead, maybe they could figure out a way to just 'edit' it w/ custom artwork. I understand that in order to edit it, you'd have to open it. But, maybe, instead of 'opening & extracting' images, we could 'open it & overwrite' images.

That way, iOS will read it as the default file but everything inside is changed.

I don't know...just a thought...
    Don't think so. Jato mentioned in the other thread about having to "re-compile" the .car file after its messed with. Re-compiling is a "deep programming" process that I'm betting needs one of the serious programming language softwares - out of the reach of most of us $-wise and knowledge-wise.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,463 Times in 6,386 Posts

Typically with this kinda thing, there isn't an off the shelf program to do it. A custom script needs to be written to facilitate the extraction and the recompile. Then part of the recompile process is to verify that the file meets Apples spec.

So there is a lot of work that needs to be done to get to this point. I wish it was as simple as opening the file and dumping in images. But sadly, it will need quite a bit more.

We overcame a lot of issues with the .artwork files this year and I see no reason that we can't reach the same point with the .car files.

Thanks for everyone that pops in, and remember that you just never know what may help, so don't be afraid to throw it out there. I will get the first post updated sometime today. I gotta work a little to pay the bills.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-12-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post

Thanks for everyone that pops in, and remember that you just never know what may help, so don't be afraid to throw it out there. I will get the first post updated sometime today. I gotta work a little to pay the bills.
    Yeah.. That damned job -- always in the way of phone modding time...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (10-10-2013), RKO1195 (10-12-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,715 Times in 1,179 Posts

Hello everyone. A good topic for the future king. Who has disassembled firmware iOS 7.0.2 I want to start work already ))) thanks in advance

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smitbeat For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-12-2013), King_O_Hill (10-10-2013)

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,463 Times in 6,386 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smitbeat View Post
    Hello everyone. A good topic for the future king. Who has disassembled firmware iOS 7.0.2 I want to start work already ))) thanks in advance
    Yes my friend, we will keep you in the loop!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-12-2013)

Thanks

I was really excited to come across this thread! I think the theming possibilities on iOS 7 are going to more so than on any previous firmwares. And one thing that I'm particularly interested in is the new "Dynamic" Wallpapers. Stuff like what types of files they are, how to create new ones, and how make additions to the library are some of the things I would like to find out. (Obviously needing a jailbreak) but just food for thought. Awesome information here. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by kane4lsu; 10-10-2013 at 12:48 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kane4lsu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,973 Times in 2,020 Posts

Maybe this was already covered but I just didn't understand it correctly. Is it possible that this .car file wouldn't have to be repackaged? Instead, maybe they could figure out a way to just 'edit' it w/ custom artwork. I understand that in order to edit it, you'd have to open it. But, maybe, instead of 'opening & extracting' images, we could 'open it & overwrite' images.

That way, iOS will read it as the default file but everything inside is changed.

I don't know...just a thought...
    I've been thinking a bit about your question.

Essentially I hope that WB is able to theme without the .car files & just png based like UIImages in previous versions. However that was just WB hooking the [email protected]k file etc. with the .car files almost found in every app folder in iOS7 can that be hooked efficiently? I certainly don't know the answer to that.

The reason I brought up repacking the .car files is once a tethered JB is out & most likely well before WB is even compatible with iOS7 this could provide us with a look in to see if themeing is viable via the extract/repack clear caches method worse case scenario.

I have emailed Dave Peck about your question, whether he responds or not who knows. Ill let you know if he does. My thoughts are the reason you would start a fresh repack is the offsets etc. artwork files contain metadata too (hence why they are so big usually) that metadata contains a bit & as per my 1st main post the .car files contain even more info. Personally I don't think it's possible to just jam in images over top if other ones. I really think it needs to be cleanly from the 1st png to the last png to ensure no metadata is out of sync this causing further problems. I could be wrong.

Will keep u ones posted.
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,073 Times in 934 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Don't think so. Jato mentioned in the other thread about having to "re-compile" the .car file after its messed with. Re-compiling is a "deep programming" process that I'm betting needs one of the serious programming language softwares - out of the reach of most of us $-wise and knowledge-wise.
    I figured as much but thought I'd throw out the 'easy solution' first!

I also wonder if there's a way to insert something into the .car file so it points to a completely different directory which will contain custom artwork, fonts, etc. Basically, it'd be like a Mobile Substrate tweak except it's setup the same way as Winterboard. Again, the .car file would then be 'seen' by iOS as the default file when its actually reading from somewhere else.

The trick is figuring out how to recompile the .car into an acceptable iOS file.

Has anyone actually opened/edited a .car file, yet?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've used the Xcode extractor method to open the Core UI car files via @0xceds UI extractor Xcode project. Essentially on extraction it looks the same as when .artwork files are extracted = folder full of pngs. This is the one of two .car files in the UIKit framework named UIKit_OriginalArtwork.car

ImageUploadedByModMyi1381434076.740707.jpg

Dave came back with this response! Rather quick but not positive all the same.

"Unfortunately I don't know anything about the .car file format beyond what I added to my README on GitHub. Under the hood, .car files are actually Mac OS X BOM files, but they have a few unusual sections that you'll need to make sense of. The BOM file format is mostly undocumented (although there is an attempt at reverse engineering that I point to, also on GitHub) and the sections of interest for the images seem to be completely undocumented. I have no idea how the image bytes are packed, whether there is compression, etc. Overwriting might be possible; it might not.

I left some suggestions on how someone who really wants to reverse engineer this stuff might go about doing it, but it looks like a pretty big job."

Sheesh...
    Last edited by Jato_BZ; 10-10-2013 at 01:46 PM.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-12-2013), King_O_Hill (10-10-2013), RKO1195 (10-12-2013)

Thanks

@Jato
    So you have the .car files to dissect but do you have a device to test an edited .car file? That would make the assumption that you have an ip4 jailbroken on iOS 7 which isn't public, yet

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-12-2013)

Thanks

@Jato
    So you have the .car files to dissect but do you have a device to test an edited .car file? That would make the assumption that you have an ip4 jailbroken on iOS 7 which isn't public, yet
    Well, via the Xcode extraction method via 0xceds extractor from what he has told me, his project does a walk thru of all the Core .car files within Xcode & the iOS7SDK. So no jailbroken device is needed. PLUS with iOS Simulator - included with Xcode5 I believe you could view the modded .car files without requiring a jailbroken device.

No I don't have an iPhone 4 but as a few others know I have extracted an A4 7.0 IPSW. Why A4 only? Limerain exploit which gives you the AES keys to extract the IPSW, giving you the rootfs.dmg which u can then mount can view on your Mac. There are tuts out there to do this.

So I have ALL the A4 .car files well everything really & then there's Xcode as well...

IPSW extraction in progress via CMD
    ImageUploadedByModMyi1381436568.918825.jpg

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-12-2013), cocco26 (10-11-2013), King_O_Hill (10-10-2013), RKO1195 (10-12-2013)

Thanks

Not to throw any water on the "complexity" lovers in here (me, among you ).. But do we "really" think Saurik's not gonna be able to nail Winterboard for iOS7?? The average modder and user will NOT be interested in dealing with de-compiling and re-compiling .car files just to get a theme on his/her phone. Ya feel me?

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Master Theme Creator June'sIphone's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,007 Times in 3,663 Posts

Since all these .car files will have the same "details". Then a tool just as winterboard could hook into the .car file then release it to a new .car file. Or any kind of tweak for that matter. Getting contents of .car is pretty simple.

Reverse engineering is ok to understand how the files work. Also tedious and not needed if your just overwriting images or changing images.

Would be compared to packaging .artwork to something like winterboard.

If theming relied on packaging .artwork I would have never bothered. Just as I'm not bothered packaging apk for android.

Winterboard isn't available for iOS7 nor is a jailbreak. Yet. To early to tell. Although I know a few have seen this.
    https://github.com/steventroughtonsmith/cartool

Proof of concept in a way. If anyone wants to play with cycript you can. Even on unjailbroken phone. You can hook into any process run the tree and find and try whatever you like.

Saurik recently did a demonstration.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d1cK0nq4GY

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to June'sIphone For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-12-2013), dsg (12-01-2013), Jato_BZ (10-10-2013), King_O_Hill (10-10-2013), RKO1195 (10-12-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Not to throw any water on the "complexity" lovers in here (me, among you ).. But do we "really" think Saurik's not gonna be able to nail Winterboard for iOS7?? The average modder and user will NOT be interested in dealing with de-compiling and re-compiling .car files just to get a theme on his/her phone. Ya feel me?
    No, I agree he should be able to just like he did with the .artwork files. It wasnt really about it using .car methods strictly without WB but as an interim alternative while there is no JB to get a look in. PLUS to give users the option to extract any given .car file upon request. Currently you are restricted to XCode doing it natively & missing some of the .car files & PC users are effectively screwed.

How are normal themers supposed to access .car files that will be on their iDevice at this stage without Xcode? Can they be extracted without Xcode? I don't know those answers...

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by June'sIphone View Post
    Proof of concept in a way. If anyone wants to play with cycript you can. Even on unjailbroken phone. You can hook into any process run the tree and find and try whatever you like.

Saurik recently did a demonstration.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d1cK0nq4GY
    That's right! I forgot about that recent demo. So, obviously he has found a way to edit 'items' using cycript (pronounced 'script' for those that didn't know (including me until recently!)). I wonder, though, what that means for the future of theming... Saurik expressed disinterest in continuing Winterboard unless the community steps up and helps. So...that's what we're doing!!!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

Master Theme Creator June'sIphone's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,007 Times in 3,663 Posts

I could see why he wouldn't want to update. It is a big task. Look at winterboard's code. It's open source. Cycript is not new by no means. That being said I never knew you could connect the header.

So lets say you open phone. Then cycript in. You can see all levels of this app. From icon, to URL, window controllers or even password block. It exposes everything.

Sure at this level your .car file is wide open. The system itself has already unpacked it in a way the application can use it.

Now think about writing a script that does somewhat like winterboard. Which runs over every .app and gets these addresses. Then replaces with new addresses. A lot of work. But easier than at the .car level.

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to June'sIphone For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-12-2013), cocco26 (10-11-2013), Jato_BZ (10-10-2013), King_O_Hill (10-10-2013), RKO1195 (10-12-2013)

Thanks

^^^Thanks for the input June, appreciated. Agree there maybe other methods out there that currently are untapped

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-12-2013), June'sIphone (10-10-2013), King_O_Hill (10-10-2013)

Thanks

@June
    Did you notice Saurik had a custom Signal Bar on his phone? I was jealous...😔

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

June'sIphone (10-10-2013), King_O_Hill (10-10-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

The extracted pngs remind me of the tab bar buttons found in ios 6 Safari. The actual .png file could be changed but the color stayed white no matter what. If you notice in ios 7 the bottom tab bar buttons are different colors in each app. The word buttons are also different colors throughout the individual apps. If we are unable to change the colors of the fonts and the transparent white tab bars themes will be severely limited in ios 7.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jags828 For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-12-2013), King_O_Hill (10-10-2013), Smitbeat (10-11-2013)