+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help turn stock icons to perfect square icons

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Hi this is coming from a one-level-above-a-noob I wanna redesign the stock ios6 icons as same but no curves at all, want them to be perfectly square what files do
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default [SUCCESS] Help turn stock icons to perfect square icons
    Hi
    this is coming from a one-level-above-a-noob
    I wanna redesign the stock ios6 icons as same but no curves at all, want them to be perfectly square
    what files do i need to play around with?
    i d be glad if someone can guide towards a good tutorial
    i am on iphone 4s jail broken
    want them to be like in this pic
    Last edited by ElectricdreamS; 03-23-2013 at 08:41 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,261 Times in 1,602 Posts

Ultimately Photoshop or Illustrator is what ur going to need.

I started a 6X guide here for some basics in regards to theming which may help and has had a lot of questions and contributions.

iOS6x Theme GUIDE
    Twitter Id: @Jato_BZ
    Ask questions here or there, or follow/preview my theme build process...something different

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ya
    am good with illustrator and photoshop part
    but when i put them in iphone wont it round off the edges? i want them square so dont i have to do something the the mask files etc?
    is there a theme that wud have iphone stock icons as squares?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricdreamS View Post
    ya
    am good with illustrator and photoshop part
    but when i put them in iphone wont it round off the edges? i want them square so dont i have to do something the the mask files etc?
    is there a theme that wud have iphone stock icons as squares?
    Only APP STORE icons have the rounded edging(AppIconMask@2x~iphone.png).Not the Stock/Default/Native Icons so you should be right to make them as you please.
    Ask questions here or there, or follow/preview my theme build process...something different

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (03-22-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,975 Times in 3,379 Posts

Hi
    this is coming from a one-level-above-a-noob
    I wanna redesign the stock ios6 icons as same but no curves at all, want them to be perfectly square
    what files do i need to play around with?
    i d be glad if someone can guide towards a good tutorial
    i am on iphone 4s jail broken
    want them to be like in this pic
    Theme the AppIconMask image to a square instead.

Your WinterBoard theme architecture could be :
    /var/stash/Themes.XXXXX/YourThemeName.theme/Folders/MobileIcons.framework/AppIconMask@2x~iphone.png

- or -
    /var/stash/Themes.XXXXX/YourThemeName.theme/Bundles/com.apple.mobileicons.framework/AppIconMask@2x~iphone.png

Choose your preferred dimensions but the white square needs to fit in the 118x120px canvas like the original iOS file (located in /System/Library/Frameworks/MobileIcons.framework)...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alfroggy For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (03-22-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

sorry for dragging this so far
    i tried change the jaku theme mask to a perfect white square, and putting the phone icon that i want in the phone bundle, same dimensions
    but the phone icon did not change after respringing, now i have downgraded myself to a complete noob
    i wanna start from the phone app icon, if i succeed in this i will work on everything else the same way
    someone please help me a to z procedure to achieve like in this image (here i have just super imposed the square icon in photoshop)
    iphone 4 GS 64GB IOS6.0.1

Thanks

As I said earlier native icons DO NOT NEED a theme mask. Make it as
    You wish to view it. Personally I'd make it a perfect square at 114x114px then place it on a 118x120 canvas. Position it correctly, even better open up the original and place your modded over top to get the right position as its offset. Hide the original layer icon and then Save As

icon@2x~iphone.png

In your Theme folder not over top of your original file.

That file now needs to go into your phone.

YourTheme/Bundles/com.apple.mobilephone

Apply your theme to cause WinterBoard to give the option to RESPRING

Now it should show your themed image!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (03-22-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have worked it out
    i will soon share what i end up with
    (hope this noob will impress the daylight out of some of yall)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ElectricdreamS For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (03-22-2013)

Thanks

Hmm... You named the phone icon 'icon@2x~iphone.png' and the modded Jaku mask 'AppIconsMask@2x~iphone.png', packed them into folders named 'com.apple.mobilephone' and 'com.apple.mobileicons.framework', put them into a folder named 'Bundles', in the root directory of your theme, which you selected in WinterBoard, ensuring it's above all other armed themes, dragging it topmost if necessary, and resprung FROM WITHIN WINTERBOARD, and no change showed ? Then it might be the permissions of your theme folder. In iFile, I tap on the blue chevron button right of the theme name, toggle the 'Apply hierarchically' to 'ON' and ensure 'Owner' has ownership set to 'Mobile', 'Group' has ownership set to 'Mobile' as well, then scroll a bit lower to ensure 'User', 'Group' and 'World' are all three given the 'Read', 'Write' and 'Execute' access permissions. Tap the 'Done' button in the top right corner. Apply the theme again in WinterBoard.

Edit : Lol Jato is right about stock apps not enduring the masking, and double lol at the time after which my reply is posted. Didn't have network in between to view the two replies. Glad you got it fixed
    Last edited by Alfroggy; 03-22-2013 at 04:39 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alfroggy View Post
    Hmm... You named the phone icon 'icon@2x~iphone.png' and the modded Jaku mask 'AppIconsMask@2x~iphone.png', packed them into folders named 'com.apple.mobilephone' and 'com.apple.mobileicons.framework', put them into a folder named 'Bundles', in the root directory of your theme, which you selected in WinterBoard, ensuring it's above all other armed themes, dragging it topmost if necessary, and resprung FROM WITHIN WINTERBOARD, and no change showed ? Then it might be the permissions of your theme folder. In iFile, I tap on the blue chevron button right of the theme name, toggle the 'Apply hierarchically' to 'ON' and ensure 'Owner' has ownership set to 'Mobile', 'Group' has ownership set to 'Mobile' as well, then scroll a bit lower to ensure 'User', 'Group' and 'World' are all three given the 'Read', 'Write' and 'Execute' access permissions. Tap the 'Done' button in the top right corner. Apply the theme again in WinterBoard.

Edit : Lol Jato is right about stock apps not enduring the masking, and double lol at the time after which my reply is posted. Didn't have network in between to view the two replies. Glad you got it fixed
    Hey froggy bro thanks for you help
    ya i did all these things, what wrong i was doing earlier was just transferring individual icons to theme bundles via ifunbox
    what different i did was put icons in bundles on pc and then transfer entire theme and then activating it via winterboard
    my whole quest was to get square icons for all my home page apps, and after a lot of hard photoshopping i have actually surprised myself cuz i lovezzz it

whats pissing me off is the accuweather app for which i put in the [email protected] but winterboard dint pick that up, the original accuweather app has to many frggin icons and the info plist has no mention of an 2x icon, below is the array if that matters, any clues what i can do to get the accuweather icon right?
    OVER ALL so bloody excited/thankful to everyone who helped out in this window
    ps. i know the pumas too big but love the nikon

<key>CFBundleIconFiles</key>
    <array>
    <string>icon20x20.png</string>
    <string>icon29x29.png</string>
    <string>icon30x30.png</string>
    <string>icon40x40.png</string>
    <string>icon50x50.png</string>
    <string>icon57x57.png</string>
    <string>icon58x58.png</string>
    <string>icon60x60.png</string>
    <string>icon72x72.png</string>
    <string>icon100x100.png</string>
    <string>icon114x114.png</string>
    <string>icon144x144.png</string>
    <string>icon512x512.png</string>
    <string>icon1024x1024.png</string>
    </array>

Thanks

Judging by your list it's 'icon114x114.png'

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alfroggy View Post
    Judging by your list it's 'icon114x114.png'
    yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

next task custom carrier logo, can i do it? am with Warid in Pakistan, Carrier verions is 13.0

Thanks

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

next task custom carrier logo, can i do it? am with Warid in Pakistan, Carrier verions is 13.0
    Google for Carrier Changer or Carrier Editor depending on whether you're on a Mac or PC to tether the program. You can use Zeppelin in Cydia otherwise, it's the most popular method, and would even work on an iPod !

You then can put your own image as custom carrier. You'll have to stick to the image dimensions and names.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

dont have a mac
    couldnt find zeppelin on cydia so downloaded as deb, installed and as soon as i respringed got stuck on apple logo, so again connected to ifunbox, and searched for zeppelin, deleted all the zeppelin files, and at once phone itself came back to to normal
    massive fail