+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New to theming, have some questions - Related to the Dialer app

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Hello everyone, I'm a designer and have recently grown pretty sick of the stock iOS UI. I've jailbroken my phone specifically to change my theme and make my phone look
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question New to theming, have some questions - Related to the Dialer app
    Hello everyone, I'm a designer and have recently grown pretty sick of the stock iOS UI. I've jailbroken my phone specifically to change my theme and make my phone look a little more relevant to today's design standards. After some looking around I'm a bit disappointed by the existing themes. Not to knock anyone that makes themes today, but a lot of them seem very centered around older design trends and sci-fi looking fonts. I personally like a lot cleaner looks and aesthetically pleasing designs. So I thought I'd have a go at creating some stuff myself. Just for the record I'm running iOS 6.1.2 on an iPhone 5.

Since I'm sure full themes require a lot more know-how and some coding work if I want to tweak certain things, I thought I'd have a go at creating a skin for the dialer to start out and get my feet wet.

I've been trying to read through this thread to figure out where exactly I should be looking to begin learning and while there does seem to be a wealth of information available, it's not very organized. I'm sure once I know what I'm doing I'll understand the info that's in there, but right now most of it just looks like gibberish. I also tried searching the forums and all of the threads I found were from 2007/08. So I was hoping I could write here to try and get some guidance..

Aside from that thread above, does anyone know of a site or tutorials dedicated to beginners trying to learn how to theme for iOS?

I'd like to try and get started by skinning the Dialer app. Does anyone know of a good resource that explains the basics for this? From what I've read it seems like the dialer is as basic as just creating my own graphics to match the default ones and copying them into a theme folder. But when I went into the folder where the default Apple graphics should be located (/var/stash/Applications.XXXXXX/MobilePhone.app according to reply #7 of this thread), the folder is empty on my device.

So instead I tried downloading a few other existing themes in hopes to just use those for dimension and placement reference. But when I downloaded a few different ones, they weren't all the same. One had graphics that appeared to be huge. I tried dropping them into a Photoshop comp that was sized for the iPhone 5 and just the call button took up half the screen. I found another one that has a folder titled "English.lproj" and inside that is a file titled "General.strings". Is this folder/file required as the first theme I got didn't have this. And if it is required, what does it do exactly?

Sorry for the novel, and I'd like to thank everyone in advance for any help or guidance that you might provide. As I said, I'm really new to this, and I'd really love to be able to contribute to the theme/skin community. It's my hope that when I learn enough, I'll be able to offer some great themes, and eventually double back to be able to assist when possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,201 Times in 1,853 Posts

With that thread not being fully complete (my thread) the best you can do as I learnt, is to tear themes apart and just go all out. That's exactly what I did. Look at the apps your trying to theme and then duplicate that in PS. It's how we all started really. There are dedicated tutorials out there u just need to look.

"Strings" files are "txt displayed" like what you see on the UI buttons or the App names in your Home screen underneath the icons.
    Twitter Id: @Jato_BZ
    Ask questions here or there, or follow/preview my theme build process...something different

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me with this info Jato! I'm going to tear apart a few themes this week and see if I can come up with something simple for the dialer.

Quick question though, when it comes to things like the dialer or specific apps, how much liberty do I have to play around with? Like if I wanted to make the screen at the top of the dialer (which displays the numbers as you type) slightly less tall, could that be done? Or if I wanted to modify the look or styling of the font in that screen, is that something that can be modified?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,201 Times in 1,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xdozex View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me with this info Jato! I'm going to tear apart a few themes this week and see if I can come up with something simple for the dialer.

Quick question though, when it comes to things like the dialer or specific apps, how much liberty do I have to play around with? Like if I wanted to make the screen at the top of the dialer (which displays the numbers as you type) slightly less tall, could that be done? Or if I wanted to modify the look or styling of the font in that screen, is that something that can be modified?
    No probz! Yuh u can actually with WinterBoard ive found. Trial & error is all I can recommend! That's all I did...force bigger images in there and either it's going to work or it isn't. Sometimes the iOS can't be beaten tho. But u can get away with a bit!
    Twitter Id: @Jato_BZ
    Ask questions here or there, or follow/preview my theme build process...something different