+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Absolute Beginning - Seeking Theme Help

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
*Absolute beginner. Ooops. Hi there I just upgraded to the Iphone 5 several days ago. Prior to this point, I had been using a so called "dumb phone." I am
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Absolute Beginning - Seeking Theme Help
    *Absolute beginner. Ooops.

Hi there

I just upgraded to the Iphone 5 several days ago. Prior to this point, I had been using a so called "dumb phone."

I am very interested in learning how to customize the appearance of my device; however, the process seems rather elaborate, and, for a beginner, there's a lot of information to shift through.

To top it all off, it seems like there are competing theories as to which methods will slow down your phone, and which will not (Winterboard vs. manual install.)

I have some experience customizing the Windows OS (see attachment), but again, on the Iphone, I haven't a clue. Absolute Beginning - Seeking Theme Help-mango_cake_by_midnightrider13-d3rah10.png

If anyone from the community would be willing to sort of, "coach" me through the process - meet on IRC, Skype, etc. - I would be incredibly grateful. I know it's sort of a bold request, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable actually talking to people as opposed to shifting through large, often outdated, guides.

Thanks!

Edit: My phone is already Jailbroken ^_^
    Last edited by MidnightRider; 02-06-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,304 Times in 1,610 Posts

Have a wee browse here

iOS6x Theme GUIDE
    Twitter Id: @Jato_BZ
    Ask questions here or there, or follow/preview my theme build process...something different

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you for the link.
    A quick look through the thread gives me the impression it is not really aimed at beginners though. Most of the questions seem fairly specific, and it appears more like a compilation of knowledge/issues than a guide for people who are not already familiar with the customization process. Am I missing something? Or would you suggest posting in that thread?
    Last edited by MidnightRider; 02-06-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,304 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
    Thank you for the link.
    A quick look through the thread gives me the impression it is not really aimed at beginners though. Most of the questions seem fairly specific, and it appears more like a compilation of knowledge/issues than a guide for people who are not already familiar with the customization process. Am I missing something? Or would you suggest posting in that thread?
    Sounds like what you are after is a bit more indepth

There is this 4X guide GUIDE theming in 4.X

It depends whether you want to theme via WB or manually. WB is safer and more forgiving but ppl complain it slows your device down. Kind if a trade off really for the safeness tho
    Twitter Id: @Jato_BZ
    Ask questions here or there, or follow/preview my theme build process...something different

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    Sounds like what you are after is a bit more indepth

There is this 4X guide GUIDE theming in 4.X

It depends whether you want to theme via WB or manually. WB is safer and more forgiving but ppl complain it slows your device down. Kind if a trade off really for the safeness tho
    I guess I am looking for an in-depth guide to the basics ^_^

As a new user, I could benefit from advice regarding topics that more experienced users simply take as granted information (i.e. How and where to move theme files onto the I-device).

Moreover, I'd like to understand what is actually entailed in various customization "tweaks." It appears as though many Iphone screenshots consist of a hodgepodge of various tweaks, icon sets, docks, etc. I don't know if that's an accurate observation, but from what I've seen, it seems like there is a lot of room for overlap if you don't know what you're doing.

Ex. I feel like I could install a semi-complete theme (icons, dock, wallpaper, I guess, as oppossed to just icons) that eliminates undocked icon text while, unbeknownst to me, have another Winterboard tweak with either a redundant or contradicting output running simultaneously.

Similarly, there are other tweaks, like Sbsetting, whose functions I do not fully understand. I feel like I could easily bog down my Phone by half-hazardously installing numerous, individual tweaks, when more centralized options would be vastly more efficient. And how does winterboard work? Should I keep installed themes to a minimum if I want to conserve battery life or phone responsiveness? Or it it only the active theme that impacts phone performance? Etc. Etc.

Again, thanks for the reply.
    Any help is appreciated!