Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Modding with SSH

Thanks
    Default Modding with SSH
    I'm new to modmyi.com and haven't had any luck on finding a forum discussing the use of SSH to theme or mod my iPhone. If anybody could point me in the write direction it would much appreciated. Specifically, i'm currently searching for a way to give my standard 'Messaging' app a new look.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,514 Times in 2,146 Posts

Why SSH? I used to use that but I use iFunbox. IFunbox is a free program u can install on windows or Mac and it utilizes ur iPod/iPhone dock connector to move files. I find it's better than SSH as you don't require WiFi to manage your files. Just my thoughts tho
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

Thanks
    iFunbox? never heard of it. ill be sure to give it a look right now though. Other than the way the files are transferred is their any real difference between that and SSH?

Thanks

Well SSH is via WiFi, wifi goes down while pushing files can be trouble. I have had this issue. Plus u need to gain access to your iPhone via the IP address. If you don't change the root passwords etc that can leave your device vulnerable as by default it's "alpine". iFunbox looks and feels the same as a typical windows directory within ur comp and let's you navigate I found a lot easier than a SSH but that could have been the client I was using (fugu for Mac) but now I use iFunbox on PC - 100times better!!

Also iFunbox decrypts the png encrypting apple applies. Another benefit as all pngs are encrypted on iOS devices.
    Last edited by Jato_BZ; 09-13-2012 at 11:13 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

redtide (09-13-2012)

Thanks
    much obliged. I still cant seem to find any help on how to customize or integrate my iphone through the client regardless of type. I am strongly interested in creating my own themes but i am not very sure where to begin as i am not a fan of winterboard (past experiance has been it slows down my phone/ ipod) and i would like to simply re-skin and mod my phone manually. I have very little programming background but i am aware of how it works and how to navigate files and such. I would start toying around with the files but as this is my phone and used often throughout my day i'm trying to avoid any costly mistakes or playing with files i shouldnt touch.

Thanks

No worries, I'm a user of WB I like it really. I don't think my phone runs too much slower with it but it probably does...Manual theming is a lot harder, my suggestion would be to create back ups of each app you wish to theme. Drag out the whole folder and all it's contents so worse case scenario u still have the files. It's always going to be hard theming a device you're not actively using. Trial and error i find works for me! I don't know programming either, I just mod/make images and jam them into my WB Theme folder. A lot of ppl I think do do manual theming tho. Just whatever you are happy with really. I have been working on my own theme when i can for about 4 months now and only a third done I'd imagine. Every image file within the apps I've themed is almost themed along with some "strings" files - they display the txt within an app. It takes hours and a theme if it is a complete theme is a MASSIVE undertaking!

Keep us in the loop tho! :-)

Thanks
    I keep seeing that term "strings" popping up and I am not familiar with it, do you suppose you could enlighten me? and as far as creating your own themes go have you at all looked into dreamboard? I do have dreamboard currently installed and find it rather impressive

Thanks

The "strings" file is all the text "usually" displayed within an app. Like the "messages" app, the words like "cancel" or "send" etc are what is displayed from the text with the strings file and instead of the iPhone actually having an image written like that. The strings file is located within languages folders in each app e.g "English.lproj" folder and when you set your phone up to e.g "English" it then utilizes the "English" folders throughout the phone. It's a gd idea, take for example a user in France or Germany or whatever the iphone generally but always uses the strings files from the respective folders. These string files are called "localizable" and I have modded these to change the txt displayed or omit the txt altogether. Once again tho create a backup.

In regards to Dreamboard that's a no...at this stage. My main focus in on my WB theme and to get it out. It's pushing the image boundaries and bending the iOS beyond what it is used to but it seems to be still holding together. I had read that Dreamboard was open source and was never quite finished e.g still a few bugs in it.

Keen to see how you go with it tho!

Thanks
    Thanks a lot you truly have been helpful and I'm sure I will have many more questions headed your way in the future. Although at this point you definitely have more experience with this programming and modding then I do, I'd love to help out in any way with this theme your building.

And I have 6 or 7 themes for Dreamboard currently downloaded on my phone and I find them all to work great. the reason I find it so much more appealing is the ability to completely redesign the interface of the phone rather then just make it appear different but with the same UI. I have only just begun to touch the surface of how to program with dreamboard so I can begin to design my own dreamboard theme but I am beyond proficient with advanced levels of math and graphing to a calculus level and I'm hoping to utilize that skill into my or someone else's theme project. I would love to join on a group project in one way or another as a programmer. the creativity part is what I lack. so let me know if you have any ideas or friends looking for someone able to incorporate a more advanced level of graphing into their theme. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Winterboard use a more simple "themed" approach of replacing images and icons rather then suppose a HTML- based approach? As in my graphing and math skills are useless on Winterboard?

Thanks

No worries man, I guess it's just time spent digging thru files and trying stuff - well that's how I've learnt and also reading forums on here and on the net. All good I'll answer what I can but I'm still probably a bit of an amateur really.

You sound like you should be doing iOS Development more so than theming??? You're right about WB not requiring HTML knowledge etc. For me its image duplication and as long as my themed directory has the same image the iOS normally calls on it will display my themed image. iOS is more Objective C which I know nothing about, I have XCode on my Mac but have not delved into the programming side of things.

I have snippets of my theme on my Twitter account, u can find me under "Jato_BZ" if you like...I try and post updates regularly at least once a day. I have kept it pretty low key tho until I'm ready to release it. But I will need testers if I get it to that stage. I plan to stay on 5.1.1 even when iOS6 is released just to carry on with it.But I will need testers on iOS6 and I have put my name down for the new iPhone so I can port my theme to it once it can be jailbroken(fingers crossed they can!).

A team thing is a gd idea, I talk to another guy off here on a regular basis an it's good to bounce ideas back and forth as non jailbreak users don't really know I find. Lol

Thanks
    Dreamboard attracts me exactly because it is the coding. with creating all of the .plist files and everything. but even a simple theme seems like a lot of painstaking work