+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Guide to modding icons/wallpaper

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Please forgive me for such a noobs question, but I need help. I have done a search here and cannot find the answer. I'm looking for a blog or step
    iPhone? More like MyPhone chokem's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Guide to modding icons/wallpaper
    Please forgive me for such a noobs question, but I need help. I have done a search here and cannot find the answer. I'm looking for a blog or step by step on how to add/change icons in an existing theme, eg Boss. I have iFunbox, and am pretty familiar with it, but when I try to add some of the icons, they are segregated from the icon folder because the look too large. I need to know what size, how to change the size, what to rename the icon-. Png or 2xpng, etc. I know this has been asked, but for the life of me I can't find it here. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Also pardon me if this is in the wrong forum.
    iPhone 4S
    iPad 3rd Generation
    Both Running Absinthe 5.1.1

iPhone? More like MyPhone butler007's Avatar
    Thanks

No worries, we were all there at some stage! I'd definitely recommend getting app info from cydia if you're looking at themeing stuff Best bet is just to replace the icon that's already there with something the same size, name etc. Failing that, 118x120 always works for me. @2x.png is used for retina devices, .png for non-retina. @2x~iphone.png is obviously retina too, sometimes images want the extras, sometimes they don't (rare foor icons) but your best bet is to always look in var/stash/Applications (default & cydia) or var/mobile/applications (app store) to find out exact file names, if you can't see it on app info that is.
    Also, here's often better for posting theme stuff -> Skinning / Themes Discussion

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to butler007 For This Useful Post:

chokem (08-18-2012)

Thanks

Ok, thank you so much. I'm not going to theme, I'm just interested in modding the icons in the Boss theme and replacing them with some of the custom icons that folks have made.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to butler007 For This Useful Post:

chokem (08-19-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,491 Times in 5,833 Posts

thread moved.

Thanks

Ok. Another noob question. Is there a resizing program that I can resize the icons to the size you recommended? Or do I just use a photo resizing app found on the web?
    iPhone 4S
    iPad 3rd Generation

Thanks

Why not just use Photo Shop?

Thanks

Ok. Thanks. When I go into ifunbox and click on the Boss main theme, then select the icons folder, all the icons are not there. When I do the same for Larkes red icon mod and click on the icon folder all the icons are there. I'm confused.

Thanks

I don't use that theme but I'm sure most app icon images will be in the "bundles" folders

unless you are using SpingBoard mode with Winterboard, then icons would be there also, differently named of coarse.

edit, some will be in "Folders" also, sorry about that.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 08-18-2012 at 08:20 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

chokem (08-19-2012)

Thanks

That's strange because they are in Larkes add on icon set for the Boss theme. I did an experiment. I took one of the icons I wanted, mail, and renamed it [email protected] and went to the red mod theme, opened the icon folder, deleted the existing mail 2x icon and dragged my new one in there. Selected the red mod in WINTERBOARD, resprung and my modded icon showed up. But it won't in the main Boss theme. Lol. I'm close. Real close.

Ok. I found them. They are indeed in the Boss main theme Bundles.
    Last edited by chokem; 08-18-2012 at 08:17 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone butler007's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    That's strange because they are in Larkes add on icon set for the Boss theme. I did an experiment. I took one of the icons I wanted, mail, and renamed it [email protected] and went to the red mod theme, opened the icon folder, deleted the existing mail 2x icon and dragged my new one in there. Selected the red mod in WINTERBOARD, resprung and my modded icon showed up. But it won't in the main Boss theme. Lol. I'm close. Real close.

Ok. I found them. They are indeed in the Boss main theme Bundles.

The bundles folder is most commonly used because you dont need summer board*
    Mode to be activated, the icons folder allows icons to ignore the appiconmask so you can use 3D icons (and it's much easier to find out how to name an icon!)

Thanks

I appreciate your help. I did successfully mod some icons and wall paper in the theme. Now I'm going to attempt to add some custom widgets and templates
    iPhone 4S
    iPad 3rd Generation