Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Themers please.....

Default Themers please.....
    I realize this thread is not a theme release. However, Mods I think this is important enough to start a new thread.

I have tried to understand how hard a theme is to create, complete and support. I am guilty of wanting things faster than reasonable, I'm sure. I apologize for this!

BUT, I am asked to support a theme and buy it. There is a principle, IMHO, that is implied. I purchase a product, I hope to receive it in a finished form. I expect some level of support and honest communication.

I have bought themes to just support someone's hard work and never used it. I have tried where my skills allow to make icons, offer advice etc. I am very skilled with theming but I try.

Lately, it seems that some themers are releasing themes with plans but are not finishing them and supporting them. I think it is reasonable to expect stock icons and the major/popular Cydia apps to be themed as well. Too much is expected from the community to support their theme.

Worse, they will drop in and say I am too busy or kinda moving on. There is never a clear communication that the theme is finished and final. I believe the themer has a responsibility to state clearly in the first post his/ her intentions.

If your done supporting a theme; please state that and it is finished. Do not just leave us hanging.

I think all themes should state what to expect, too a point. Is it? As Is, the Themer will help create icons, mods, updates, when is it finished and they are done providing support and moving on.

There are many awesome themers, not all will provide support to the level of Master Z, Truck, Barsoverbeats etc.

But I am sick and tired feeling the community is expected to complete the theme or provide all the help for everything.

I do not expect a themer to be up all night, ignore illness or family.

I maybe way off on these comments and I am not trying to offend anyone but I have to get this off my chest.

I welcome all comments positive and negative.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks this .... If so mods delete the thread with my apologies.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,193 Times in 6,207 Posts

A valid point, but will it happen? Doubt it unfortunately.

Good point. But it's just not gonna happen.

whew..thanks. I thought I was the only one.

I'm creating my first full theme and think this is a valid point! I'm sure there are things I'll miss out, even after testing and I will be correcting these as requested. I'll also try to keep up with any requests people make, although if these requests are made on a busy forum then I'll admit I won't be able to reply to all. I'll only want to keep up such a high level of dedication for a few months, after this most requests should be handled, but I will be wanting to move on by then! I plan to always reply to emails though so I don't leave people hanging! (Although this obviously only applies if I make a popular theme, which I WILL, one day at least )

Does this seem reasonable to you?

Master Theme Creator (aka Bluemetal) Blue's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,264 Times in 3,570 Posts

Thats why I guarantee final products. Don't donate to themers you don't know and/or first watch their threads. If someone posts only a "supercool "idea or one or two graphics: forget it. If you see that he spends hundreds of hours you can be sure it will be released and finished....

Proffesional themes have thousands or tenthousands of paid and ten times more illegal users. Its normal that no one can answer that mails anymore.

Make sure your favorite themer has a FAQ to answer the usual questions and a active thread for all other questions.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

nealh (07-08-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemetal View Post
    Thats why I guarantee final products. Don't donate to themers you don't know and/or first watch their threads. If someone posts only a "supercool "idea or one or two graphics: forget it. If you see that he spends hundreds of hours you can be sure it will be released and finished....

Proffesional themes have thousands or tenthousands of paid and ten times more illegal users. Its normal that no one can answer that mails anymore.

Make sure your favorite themer has a FAQ to answer the usual questions and a active thread for all other questions.
    Bam! Well said Blue. I totally agree my friend.

http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark_Ninja For This Useful Post:

nealh (07-08-2012)

I agree as well. My big beef are these threads where people tease a theme and then never finish the theme. Please don't even start a thread if your not prepared to finish it. Just my 2 cents. Having said that, there are many reputable theme makers here who make great themes and support their work! Blue is definitely in that group

You also don't know what it's like on the other side. I personally have been on both sides of the fence and I can relate to what you are saying. But alot of what is expected in a 3 dollar theme these days is crazy. Multiple widgets, multiple icon sets, 3rd party apps themed is getting out of control. I'm not sure you realize what a couple hundred hours is with a family and work. To then turn around and get pirated 9 out of 10 times. That figure is not exaggerated either. There is no other industry that is as heavily pirated as the jailbreak scene. People try and compare it to entertainment industry saying it happens deal with it. But the entertainment industry still makes millions from the legitimate people buying things. Us themers don't have the luxury of being in the AppStore getting legitimate sales. 90-95% of the jailbreak scene are pirates. There is a small minority group that actually support dev's. Subywrex i believe said that if you wanted this much design for say a website, it would cost thousands of dollars. So to sum it up it's really hard to motivate to go beyond the already hundreds of hours put in to further develop when you know there are only a small few that actually legitimately appreciate and support your work. Also most of the themers DO continue to update and support there works regardless. TCcentex just released a couple things for RocketSauce which I believe goes back to ios3 days. June's iPhone themes I believe are all 5.1.1 compatible now and he still releases icon sets, widgets for his many themes, to name a few. So I think you speak of a select few who don't continue to support, which in that case as a consumer I wouldn't purchase from again

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Q_bAn_b For This Useful Post:

nealh (07-08-2012)

Hey,
    my 2 cents: i have never bought a theme thats 100% finished and that sucks. im not speakin about widget and alt- icons stuff - im speakin about the ui. there are always things that are not 100% workin, example: the passcode ui of surenix ayecon theme. 2 guys beside me ask to fix this but till today nothing happens. The ui is a important part of a theme and it should be 100% finished before the theme is released. i just want a fully workin theme with a working ui.
    Last edited by rocarizt; 07-08-2012 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Q_bAn_b View Post
    You also don't know what it's like on the other side. I personally have been on both sides of the fence and I can relate to what you are saying. But alot of what is expected in a 3 dollar theme these days is crazy. Multiple widgets, multiple icon sets, 3rd party apps themed is getting out of control. I'm not sure you realize what a couple hundred hours is with a family and work. To then turn around and get pirated 9 out of 10 times. That figure is not exaggerated either. There is no other industry that is as heavily pirated as the jailbreak scene. People try and compare it to entertainment industry saying it happens deal with it. But the entertainment industry still makes millions from the legitimate people buying things. Us themers don't have the luxury of being in the AppStore getting legitimate sales. 90-95% of the jailbreak scene are pirates. There is a small minority group that actually support dev's. Subywrex i believe said that if you wanted this much design for say a website, it would cost thousands of dollars. So to sum it up it's really hard to motivate to go beyond the already hundreds of hours put in to further develop when you know there are only a small few that actually legitimately appreciate and support your work. Also most of the themers DO continue to update and support there works regardless. TCcentex just released a couple things for RocketSauce which I believe goes back to ios3 days. June's iPhone themes I believe are all 5.1.1 compatible now and he still releases icon sets, widgets for his many themes, to name a few. So I think you speak of a select few who don't continue to support, which in that case as a consumer I wouldn't purchase from again
    Believe or not I agree with what you have said. There are amazing themes out there. I have no issue paying again for a theme when there is a major iOS update.

I am not asking for mods etc( this where the community shines). I think stock icons and the common major Cydia apps to be themed. The ui mostly themed is nice.

I did not ask for a person to make a theme, but if you ask for money there is an implied expectation on both sides. All I ask is the themer be honest to the people buying it. I don't expect support forever.

I enjoy making icons when I can. I love to see people use them.

The themes people released lately are amazing in their detail and quality. The creativity is amazing. I want to support themers and their hobby. I do not expect 24 hr 7 day a week service.

I hope people who read this see, my concern is communication and being just fair. That's it.

I am even ok if a theme is released and the developer says, look I worked hard released it and hoped to do X and Y but the theme has died out and it's time to move on. I get that too.