+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [TUT] How to Fix Theme Icons on iOS 5.x (Music, Mail, Photos, Camera)

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
[UPDATED] How to Fix Broken Theme Icons for iOS 5.x (Updated for 5.1.1) After updating to 5.1.1 just recently, I decided to get a new theme for my phone. Like
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Post [TUT] How to Fix Theme Icons on iOS 5.x (Music, Mail, Photos, Camera)
    [UPDATED] How to Fix Broken Theme Icons for iOS 5.x (Updated for 5.1.1)
    After updating to 5.1.1 just recently, I decided to get a new theme for my phone. Like others have noticed, I too noticed that the Music, Photos, Mail, and Camera icons would not change no matter what theme I used. By searching all over Google (man's best friend), I found the fixed and wanted to compile a tutorial to save others some time. Without further delay, here is a tutorial on how to fix your theme's icons on iOS 5.

WARNING: THIS WORKS FOR IPHONE ONLY. I HAVEN'T TESTED THIS ON ANY OTHER I-DEVICE.
    ALSO: The names are case sensitive so rename them to exactly what you see in the table.
    (Ex: Icon is different from icon)

Themes Location: /Library/Themes (ALTERNATE: /var/stash/Themes.xxxxxx)
    Rename whatever icon you find in each location to the new name provided in the table below. If you find something like "[email protected]" or something similar then that is just an alternate icon given to you by your theme. Choose the image that you want to be your icon and rename it to the new name.

Quick Table (CASE SENSITIVE)
    Icons Location New File Name(s)
    Mail com.apple.mobilemail [email protected]
    Music (Fixed) com.apple.mobileipod icon@2x[email protected]
    Photos com.apple.mobileslideshow Photos@2x~iphone.png
    Camera com.apple.camera Camera@2x~iphone.png

For those of you who know how to edit themes already and just need the new info, you can use this table. Just go to each location within your .themes folder and then rename the icon to the name provided in the "New File Name(s)" column. If you don't know how to get to your themes:

How to Find and Edit Your Theme

iFile (Edit themes straight from your iDevice)

First open iFile.
    [TUT] How to Fix Theme Icons on iOS 5.x (Music, Mail, Photos, Camera)-img_0474.png

Press the back button (top left corner) until you reach the root directory.
    (The root directory is when you can not back out anymore. Notice the "/" at the top meaning you are not in any folder)

[TUT] How to Fix Theme Icons on iOS 5.x (Music, Mail, Photos, Camera)-img_0475.png

Scroll through the root directory (usually you have to scroll up) until you find the folder "Library" and then press on it to enter the folder.
    [TUT] How to Fix Theme Icons on iOS 5.x (Music, Mail, Photos, Camera)-img_0476.png

Scroll through the "Library" folder until you find the folder named "Themes" and press on it to enter the folder. Inside this folder are all of your themes.
    [TUT] How to Fix Theme Icons on iOS 5.x (Music, Mail, Photos, Camera)-img_0477.png

Notice how all of the files have a .theme extension. Themes are basically like folders with a .theme extension on them. Locate the theme that you want to edit and press on it to enter the theme "folder". The name of the themes that you see in WinterBoard are identical to the names of the .theme folders in this folder. (Example: "black theme" = "black theme.theme"
    [TUT] How to Fix Theme Icons on iOS 5.x (Music, Mail, Photos, Camera)-img_0478.png

Once you are in the theme "folder" you will see several folders but the one we want is the "Bundles" folder. Open the folder by pressing on it.
    [TUT] How to Fix Theme Icons on iOS 5.x (Music, Mail, Photos, Camera)-img_0479.png

Inside the bundles folder you will find all of the different folders for each icon. When WinterBoard checks your theme, it looks for the folder that corresponds to each app and then uses the image inside of that folder. If the folder or icon doesn't exist (or is not named correctly) then WinterBoard will use the default icon image.
    [TUT] How to Fix Theme Icons on iOS 5.x (Music, Mail, Photos, Camera)-img_0480.png

Now you can go back up to the table and use it to find each icon image and rename them to their proper name. First go to the location of the App's icon within your theme/bundles folder. Then choose an icon from the list and press the blue button to the right of the file to reach the files properties. From the files properties you can rename it to the proper name in the table.

iFunBox (For editing on the computer through a cable)
    (i-FunBox | File Manager, Browser, Explorer, Transfer Tool for iPhone, iPad & iPod)
    iFunbox is a tool that can be used to edit files on any iDevice as well as many other features. You can download it from the link above or here

After installing iFunBox, open it up and connect your iDevice to your computer. When your iDevice is detected, you will see a drop down list on the left and from there you want to click the "Raw File System" option which is near the bottom. This will show you your root directory and from there we select the "Library" folder.
    (Note: If the display or look of your iFunBox is different from mine and you are confused by this, then you can click on the "Switch View" button in the top right corner to see the files and folders differently)

[TUT] How to Fix Theme Icons on iOS 5.x (Music, Mail, Photos, Camera)-screenshot.1.jpg

Inside the Library folder, locate the folder named "Themes" and open it to find all of your themes inside of it. The name of the theme that you see in WinterBoard is identical to the name of the folder inside of this directory. However, the folder has the additional extension ".theme" added to it. (Example: "black theme" in WinterBoard = "black theme.theme" in the Themes folder)
    [TUT] How to Fix Theme Icons on iOS 5.x (Music, Mail, Photos, Camera)-screenshot.2.jpg [TUT] How to Fix Theme Icons on iOS 5.x (Music, Mail, Photos, Camera)-screenshot.3.jpg

There will be a "Bundles" folder within the folder that belong to your theme. Open it to find all of the folders that contain the icons for each app. In the picture below I have boxed the folders that you should be looking for in order to fix the broken icon problem.
    [TUT] How to Fix Theme Icons on iOS 5.x (Music, Mail, Photos, Camera)-screenshot.4.jpg

Use the table to find the location of the icon for each app that you need to fix. Once you open the folder that belongs to the app that has a broken icon then you will see some PNG's which are the icons for your theme. If you click the "Switch View" button (which is in the top right corner) a couple times then you can actually see which icon is which. Choose which ever icon you want to use (or drop in your own) and then rename it to the proper name provided in the table at the top.
    [TUT] How to Fix Theme Icons on iOS 5.x (Music, Mail, Photos, Camera)-screenshot.8.jpg [TUT] How to Fix Theme Icons on iOS 5.x (Music, Mail, Photos, Camera)-screenshot.10.jpg

Congratulations, now your theme will work and you are good to go. I tried to cover everything for fixing your theme, but of course I'm not perfect so if you have any problems let me know.

Credits
    Created by: xImaginex from IdioticCreations on YouTube
    Last edited by ximaginex; 06-28-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Change in music icon name.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ximaginex For This Useful Post:

bgattis (07-05-2012), kiensanmoi (12-03-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Fixed half my icon problems
    Thanks for your instructions. This fixed my camera as well as photos icon problems. Unfortunately the mail and iPod icons are still the old ones. I've tried wiping my cache as well. Those icons will change with other themes. I'm trying to use Alt Icons. Thanks in advance for the help. iPhone 4s 5.1.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I double checked the icon names, and the music and mail icon names and locations are correct now. Try them again but do not forget to capitalize the right letters of the name.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ximaginex For This Useful Post:

nolatrout (06-28-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Where did the tutorial go? I can only see the response

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sorry, it wont let me repost the guide because a mod needs to review it first. So here is the table for those who know how to edit themes but just need the new names:

HR]
    WARNING: THIS WORKS FOR IPHONE ONLY. I HAVEN'T TESTED THIS ON ANY OTHER I-DEVICE.
    ALSO: The names are case sensitive so rename them to exactly what you see in the table.
    (Ex: Icon is different from icon)
    [/HR]

Themes Location: /Library/Themes (ALTERNATE: /var/stash/Themes.xxxxxx)
    Rename whatever icon you find in each location to the new name provided in the table below. If you find something like "[email protected]" or something similar then that is just an alternate icon given to you by your theme. Choose the image that you want to be your icon and rename it to the new name.

Quick Table (CASE SENSITIVE)
    Icons Location New File Name(s)
    Mail com.apple.mobilemail [email protected]
    Music com.apple.mobileipod [email protected]
    Photos com.apple.mobileslideshow Photos@2x~iphone.png
    Camera com.apple.camera Camera@2x~iphone.png

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can't get this to work. When I get to the "Themes" folder in i-FunBox all of my theme folders appear, then a split second later they all disappear. Any suggestions?

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,388 Times in 6,350 Posts

Try diskaid
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!