+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Issue : Black background behind png modified icons on third party apps (pics)

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Hey guys, today I decided to change my iPad icons to OSX icons. I know this is about my iPad, but I guess there is the same issues with iPhones,
    iPhone? More like MyPhone iAdamir's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Issue : Black background behind png modified icons on third party apps (pics)
    Hey guys, today I decided to change my iPad icons to OSX icons.
    I know this is about my iPad, but I guess there is the same issues with iPhones, and I will probably get more answers here.

As you can see on the first screenshot, it works perfectly, because there is only first party apps, or jailbreak apps.

To do that, I just do it the normal way, I take a png icon, and change it with the original icon.

The issue is that when I'm doing this on a third party app, I get a black shadow around the icon, as you can see on the 2nd screenshot, on the app called "djay", and the icon I want to use is the one I sent.

Do anyone now how to do so I don't get this black background ?

Thanks forward for the help,
    Oliver
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Issue : Black background behind png modified icons on third party apps (pics)-imageuploadedbymodmyi1338155272.573203.jpg   Issue : Black background behind png modified icons on third party apps (pics)-imageuploadedbymodmyi1338155280.802037.jpg   Issue : Black background behind png modified icons on third party apps (pics)-imageuploadedbymodmyi1338155285.249668.jpg  
    [CENTER]

Thanks
    Thanked 6,289 Times in 2,096 Posts

I will attempt to help or provide sum info.

I'm pretty sure this is do with you AppIconMask giving you trouble or doing its job. It cuts the corners or provides that nice rounded corner look to all AppStore icons. The native icons come with the corners already rounded by default. Since you are wanting one icon to be round and under the mask outline this is showing the blackness as per ur screenshot.

I am working on a round icon theme so my AppIconMask is the same as my icons. Black on the outside of the icons and white on inside but round in shape.

If you change your AppIconMask to match your round djay icon it might affect your other AppStore icons tho. Catch 22 really.

See if you can navigate to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileIcons.framework and have a look in there. I only just JB'd my iPad3 last nite so haven't ported my theme across to it yet.

There is a guide to how AppIconMask and how the shadow works on here. I think I posted in a few days ago in regards to theming. Have a look if you can.
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

iAdamir (05-28-2012), thunderwolf333 (09-18-2012)

Thanks

And when if I just delete the appiconmask file ?

Man I deleted the file and it worked ! Thanks so much ! Now I just have to change all my third party apps icons lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Issue : Black background behind png modified icons on third party apps (pics)-imageuploadedbymodmyi1338197776.991350.jpg  
    Last edited by iAdamir; 05-28-2012 at 03:35 AM.
    [CENTER]

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iAdamir For This Useful Post:

thunderwolf333 (09-18-2012)

Thanks

Good to hear it worked!! :-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

iAdamir (05-28-2012)

Thanks

Check the results I edited and even created some png icons for it, the whole day *sight*
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Issue : Black background behind png modified icons on third party apps (pics)-imageuploadedbymodmyi1338246459.244082.jpg   Issue : Black background behind png modified icons on third party apps (pics)-imageuploadedbymodmyi1338246452.787663.jpg  
    [CENTER]

Thanks

Looks real good. U need to move your Calendar font up it resize it. I have my calendar font modded size, color and position wise if you need help with that?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

iAdamir (05-28-2012)

Thanks

**** yea I would love.
    That's my self made lock screen btw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Issue : Black background behind png modified icons on third party apps (pics)-imageuploadedbymodmyi1338247135.440569.jpg  
    [CENTER]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    Looks real good. U need to move your Calendar font up it resize it. I have my calendar font modded size, color and position wise if you need help with that?
    "Yes I would love" xD
    [CENTER]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

you guys rock! I could never figure this out, i ended up using summerboard mode and doing facebook.png and [email protected] inside an icons folder. this was a problem b/c i have retina devices and the icons weren't the proper resolution. you guys solved my problems finally! i renamed appiconmask@2x and appiconshadow@2x by adding a 1 and the problem was solved. thanks guys. (be aware tho this creates square icons instead of rounded ones for the 3rd party apps).
    Last edited by thunderwolf333; 09-18-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thunderwolf333 View Post
    you guys rock! I could never figure this out, i ended up using summerboard mode and doing facebook.png and [email protected] inside an icons folder. this was a problem b/c i have retina devices and the icons weren't the proper resolution. you guys solved my problems finally! i renamed appiconmask@2x and appiconshadow@2x by adding a 1 and the problem was solved. thanks guys. (be aware tho this creates square icons instead of rounded ones for the 3rd party apps).
    Good to hear, I haven't tried this myself but I wonder if you put transparent versions of AppIconMask and Appiconshadow pngs into your theme folder without renaming those default files does it still bypass the default AppIcon images by displaying the transparent themed versions or not? They will need to be named exactly as they are used in the iOS as sized correctly.

Just an idea...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    Good to hear, I haven't tried this myself but I wonder if you put transparent versions of AppIconMask and Appiconshadow pngs into your theme folder without renaming those default files does it still bypass the default AppIcon images by displaying the transparent themed versions or not? They will need to be named exactly as they are used in the iOS as sized correctly.

Just an idea...
    changing appiconmask to a transparent image makes the app icons disappear entirely. however you can create a transparent appiconshadow instead of deleting it or renaming it, has the same effect.

Thanks

Um isn't that black background a specific file In springboard.app called WallpaperIconShadow@2x~iphone.png.

If u delete it it gets rid of the black shadow behind icons.

Thanks

no, i already had a transparent wallpapericonshadow and this was still an issue. so that has nothing to do with this and wont work.

Thanks

Oh I looked again..it looks like the image called SwitcherIconShadow@2x~iphone.png also located in Springboard.app. It looks like the black background behind the djay icon..Then again I could be wrong. I don't know

Just maybe look in springboard.app. A lot of images that apply to icons are in there. Since you have an iPad it maybe different. I have iPod touch.
    Last edited by Star784; 09-25-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Thanks

i know you're trying to help star but you are confusing people more. the switchericonshadow does not apply either. the switchericonshadow gives the shadow for the multitasking bar, not the springboard itself.

Thanks

Yeah I knew that but I thought it would apply to the springboard too..ok I'll stop replying now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thunderwolf333 View Post
    I just tried this and it totally worked accept when I tried to edit the appiconmask1@2x back to its original form and than did a respring it didn't change the 3rd party apps back to regular rounded square icons....any ideas on what i should do?