Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Custom Icons Issue

Default Custom Icons Issue
    Not a very major issue, but I am using Winterboard to customise my system icons for the stock applications, and a few user applications, like Twitter, Facebook and WhatsApp. However, my problem is this: From research, I understand that Apple automatically adds a mask effect to icons of applications on the iPhone, namely, the rounding of corners, glossy appearance and all that. My concern is with the rounding of corners. Using winterboard, my icons are not rounded. I believe the stipulated dimensions required are png files with the resolution of about 118x120? or was it 114x114. Nevertheless, the images all appear squarish. Strangely enough, Facebook, WhatsApp and Twitter did not have their icons installed through winterboard. Using iFunBox, i altered the images from within the app itself.. And, the icons for these 3 applications were rounded. However, i tried using the same customisation method for the rest of the apps(couple of em) but they still are squarish....All of my images are 24BPP, whatever that means.

Question: What is the requirement before apple will recognise and alter my icons with the rounded corners? Most themers around have rounded icons in their themes, thus i believe they shld have an answer. Any help offered is greatly, greatly, greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Thanks

Are you using any theme?
    here's a guide to autoskin some appstore apps : How to Create AUTO-SKINNING App-Store Icons for Your Theme....

Donation is different from Payment

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iBub For This Useful Post:

Taeyeonist (03-31-2012)

Yes, i am using a self created custom theme for winterboard. I dont have Photoshop though.. Is it possible if you upload the images used by the iPhone OS to that thread you linked in the 24bit format and tell me where to place the images so that it takes effect? I'm using iOS5. Im sure it'll be beneficial to other photoshop-noobs or those without the application. Haha. Thanks for replying!

Thanks

Just add ~iphone at the end for ios5, also there has been some issue with the overlay jsut read it in the link that I gave you.

Put them in Bundles>com.apple.mobileicons.framework
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -appiconmask-2x.png   -appiconoverlay-2x.png   -appiconshadow-2x.png  

yay! thank you so much I'll test it out soon and let u know

hmmm.. i placed it into the bundles folder, renamed as required but when i respring, all i get is white corners on app store icons and newsstand. so i removed appiconoverlay and appiconshadow,and respring, but it doesnt apply it on my customised stock icons....im confused! could it be the pngs u uploaded? they aren't 118x120, im not sure if this matters. am i doing anythign wrong? aarghhhh!

but in any case, thank you for your help! please do reply soon!
    I'm trying to theme my stock icons and not the app store icons, if it helps.. oh wait. sorry, i think they are of the correct size! i'll try again...

edit: I'm sorry once again.. it still does not work. i guess the method in that thread is meant for app store apps, not stock apps?
    Last edited by Taeyeonist; 04-02-2012 at 06:50 AM.

Thanks

Oops I think they are meant for app store apps, for stock icons I think you need to do it manually

yeap, thank you for all the assistance nevertheless