+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Icon question

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
I have been trying to figure this out for quite some time and I thought I had it figured out but does not look like I do. Lets say I
    iPhone? More like MyPhone skinney's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Icon question
    I have been trying to figure this out for quite some time and I thought I had it figured out but does not look like I do. Lets say I have two different themes. I only like the icons out of one and would like to use the icons from that theme on the theme I like the whole UI.

Is there a folder within the theme that is icons only? That I might be able to grab from Ifile and replace in the theme that I wanted to use? Or is it not that simple?

Any help would be appreciated!
    I try and figure these things out on my own but I have been at it for awhile and have not been able to figure it out.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Depends on the theme. Some themes have auto skinning, which the base template of the icon skin is contained, in which there you would take that entire folder and move it to the other theme. Typically if it isn't an auto skinning theme, there is a folder that contains the icon images that you may move to the other theme.

Thanks

Is there anyway within the theme to find out if it has auto skinning?

Thanks

You can tell just by looking at your icons with the theme applied. Usually if your icons look the same, it's auto-skinned. I mean if all the icons look the same but have the same "theme" to them like the edges are all rounded but the main icon still looks like the stock icon, it's auto-skinned. But in the theme itself, you would likely not be able to find an icons folder which indicates it's auto-skinned.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

skinney (03-18-2012)

Thanks

Okay so the theme definitely does not have a icon folder. Where would I be able to find auto themeing folder? If that makes sence... to bring the icons to the theme? Or if they have auto themeing is it not possible?

Thanks

No it's fine. You can just transfer the folder which contains the templates for the auto-skin to the other theme you want with the UI that you like. Just be sure to remove any icon folders or auto-skin folder from the UI theme as well so it doesn't override the one you are transferring.

Give me a moment. I have a theme or two that I use that I can dig through the folders to see what the exact file names are. They may vary in path when you are looking for them, but they should generally be the same.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 03-18-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks

I appreciate it!

Thanks

Sorry I'm having a hard time finding a theme I have that is auto skinned ha... well while you wait did you check to make sure your theme absolutely does not have any icon.png files? Such as going into com.apple.mobiletimer for example, should be in a folder called bundles in most cases, and seeing if it does not have an icon.png. If it does have that file, it's not auto skinned.

Thanks

I went into the theme and selected bundles and I am not able to find com.apple.mobiletimer. I guess I just kind of assumed because any app that I downloaded automatically was themed.

Thanks

Ok so I decided to just go researching a little bit about it instead.

Usually under UIImages you'd want these files transferred: AppIconMask.png, AppIconShadow.png and AppIconOverlay.png which you'd probably just want to put those into the other theme's UIImages folder.

In the how to create auto skin icons guide here on MMi, this is what it says regarding iP4. Those are what you're looking for.

IPHONE 4 AUTO SKINNING:

In the com.apple.mobileicons.framework folder (within the theme's bundles folder). Label the mask "[email protected]" and the shadow "[email protected]" (ios5 = "AppIconMask@2x~iphone.png" and the shadow "AppIconShadow@2x~iphone.png"). You may also want to put the low-res mask and shadow files in there too, because the icons that show up on the lists when you're actually IN the App Store-application on your device show up low-res, so they will stay stock without the 59x60 px versions in there.

If you're not finding what is shown above, it likely isn't auto-skinned so you'd have to transfer the Bundles folder (typically the icons are under the Bundles folder, but not always).

Thanks

Awesome. So I was able to find those and move them to the theme I want. Only thing is seems like "default" apps are unthemed. All other apps are themed with the icons I wanted...

Thanks

As in the stock Apple apps? Those should be themed if you've got bundles for the com.apple.xxxxx folders and an icon.png in them.

Thanks

They are themed with the theme I am using icons.. not from the other theme I brought the icons over from. Do I have to go through them individually from the other theme to the theme I am using to get those themed? Also I don't know if this helps but when I go into the app store the icons are themed with the current themes icons and not the icons I brought from the other theme.
    Again, if that makes sense.

Thanks

Yes I had mentioned you should remove the icon files from the theme you want to use so that they won't override the new ones you're transferring over.