Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PLZ HELP - Custom icons.

Exclamation PLZ HELP - Custom icons.
    Hi guys,

Before we start, im not looking for someone to do my work for me.
    Just point me in the right direction.

I've only been modding my iphone for two days now.
    In an attempt to understand the way themes work, i downloaded a few and started poking around.

Scenario -
    I activated a theme using winterboard, it has no icon set.
    I have another theme with an extensive icon set.
    Using iFile i copied these folders;
    - var/stash/themes/INACTIVETHEME/Bundles
    - var/stash/themes/INACTIVETHEME/Folders
    - var/stash/themes/INACTIVETHEME/UIImages
    To;
    - var/stash/themes/ACTIVETHEME/
    And resprung.

Only the UIImages became active.

Do i need to point the theme to the icons via a html or plist?
    I've searched this site up and down for good posts/stickies on the subject, not really finding much.

Any good tutorials around?

EDIT -
    If i was to create my own set of icons, where would i find the list of icon names?
    And would i then just drop them in var/stash/themes/ACTIVETHEME/icons?

Thx heaps.
    Last edited by Wobzy; 02-11-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    So, Jesus once turned water into wine? Every week i turn a whole pay cheque into vodka & redbull. Ur move Jesus...

Bump.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    So, Jesus once turned water into wine? Every week i turn a whole pay cheque into vodka & redbull. Ur move Jesus...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 490 Posts

Looks like you are in for a long wait to get any help here.
    Bless those "Theme Creators", the ones that could help.
    They are like the police, never around when you need them and always there when you don't want them.

Oh how cute, ur one of those forum guys.
    U even have ur own gifs upped to emphasize ur posts.
    Yeah the standard icons dont quite cut it do they.

Well anyway, thx for ur input little buddy.
    Even though i got no idea what ur trying to get at there with ur nerd humour.
    But ur a star, keep up the good work.

Thanks

Well, it was supposed to be a hint at the missing help you get here at MMi, the so called No.1 iPhone forum, where the cream of theme creator is resident.
    That might be so, here are indeed some very talented themers, but what annoys me for ages is that those expert seem not to have any time to help and give advice to us mortals that just have a limited understanding of how themes work. I fully understand that creating themes at the level they do takes considerable time, but their "community" spirit ends at padding each other on the back after one has released another theme. Off all the people here they should be the the most qualified ones to help. But instead you have to do with advice that might or might not work from "normal" people , like me, if anyone can be bothered to reply.
    btw regarding making your own icons, use IconThief, a free app from Cydia, this will collect all icons you have on your iPhone, decrypt them and put them in a zip file, already nice structured by Bundle identifier. Just copy to PC, unzip and start editing. Then create a new Winterboard theme folder and copy the Bundles folder into that, select that theme in Winterboard and respring. If you have done everything right you should now see your own custom icons.
    I always found that the settings in the screenshot worked best.

I have been called a lot of things, but cute and little buddy are new, thanks!
    Last edited by rasputin007; 02-18-2012 at 03:12 AM.

Oh i thought u were being cheeky with me.
    Yeah nah totally agree, 673 views, no replies other than u or i.
    Heaps cool community.

Thx for the tip. Will have a look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin007 View Post
    regarding making your own icons, use IconThief, a free app from Cydia, this will collect all icons you have on your iPhone, decrypt them and put them in a zip file, already nice structured by Bundle identifier. Just copy to PC, unzip and start editing. Then create a new Winterboard theme folder and copy the Bundles folder into that, select that theme in Winterboard and respring. If you have done everything right you should now see your own custom icons.
    I always found that the settings in the screenshot worked best.

Is it supposed to only gather the iphone default icons?
    No matter what i do with active/inactive themes & chosen icons in settings,
    It always just saves a zip of the defaults.

Thanks

With the exact setting as in the screenshot I get all icons, default stock ones and of all apps I have installed. What IconThief does not do is getting the icons from a Winterboard theme. So if you use a Winterboard theme which applies custom icons to the default stock apps, then IconThief will still only fetch the default stock icons, not the custom ones.
    That is not a big deal, really!
    You still have your ACTIVE theme running in Winterboard, but would like the icons from the INACTIVE theme to be used as well. Now copy the icons from the INACTIVE theme into the corresponding bundle identifier folder from the Icon Thief zip file. For example, you got the default stock icon for Music in the "com.apple.mobileipod" folder, replace that with the Music icon from the INACTIVE theme. Then copy all the bundle identifier folder (e.g. com.apple.mobileipod) that have custom icons from the INACTIVE theme into the Bundles folder of your ACTIVE theme on your iPhone and respring.
    That should do the trick.
    But then there is still the problem of the apps that do not have a custom icon in the INACTIVE theme. Well, you got them with IconThief on your PC, edit then to whatever you like, save them in their bundle identifier folder and copy that folder into the Bundles folder of the ACTIVE theme.

I used IconThief to get all the icons of all apps on my iPhone, and I did not care if they were stock or not, as I just wanted the bundle identifier folder, the icon name and its size. From that I started to make my own icons and now it looks like this.

Last edited by rasputin007; 02-20-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Right i got my icons sorted, but the default icons for;
    -activator
    -respring
    -appinfo
    -reminders

Will not conform to the overlay (com.apple.mobileicons.framework) as the rest of the un-custom icons have

A minor concern at the moment. Seems to be a commonly asked question.
    Bound to find an answer sooner or later.

Do u know where the files controlling lock screen behaviour for music player are located?

I use a separate theme for lockscreen and springboard.
    I want to apply the clock/weather widget to the lock screen when music player is active.
    As u can see below, its a bit boring, esp when theres little or no cover art for the playing track.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -424808_303481096377637_100001472466339_863398_1580351200_n.jpg  

Thanks

The icon for Activator should be Bundles/libactivator/icon.png and for Reminders should be Bundles/com.apple.reminders/icon.png.
    IconThief should got those for you.
    The other 2 (respring & appinfo) I can not help you with as I do not have those, but IconThief should got them as well.
    I found that a very very few apps use different icon names then the ones IconThief pulls off. I had this with an app called Phy. IconThief gave me an "Icon.png" and another one was "Icon57.png", but neither names for my custom icon would change the default app one, also replacing the icon in the app itself did not work either. If that happens then here is a good way to find the right icon name. On your iPhone go into /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.IconsCache and look for the bundle identifier for that app. When you found it the complete name has the clue to what icon name you have to use. In my case the file name for the Phy app was com.yourcompany.phy_defaultRole-icon57.png_icon72.png_icon114.png-0, and now I knew I had to call my custom icon "icon57.png" (small "i" and not capital "I" as I got from IconThief!). So, I renamed my custom icon to "icon57.png", resprung and it worked perfect.
    Regarding the Music player change have a look at /private/var/stash/Applications/iPodOut.app and/or /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPodUI.framework. The problem here is that when you copy the png files to your PC to edit them you can not open or see them, they need to be discrypted. I use a little software called "fixpngWindows" that does exactly that, now you can look through them, edit them and put them into a new Bundles/com.apple.iPodUI.framework folder (not completely sure about that bundle identifier name!, but check /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPodUI.framework/info.plist, that will tell you the correct bundle identifier name) and Folders/iPodOut.app folder respectively.
    Hope this helped you somehow.
    Last edited by rasputin007; 02-22-2012 at 02:35 PM.

The icon for Activator should be Bundles/libactivator/icon.png and for Reminders should be Bundles/com.apple.reminders/icon.png.
    IconThief should got those for you.
    The other 2 (respring & appinfo) I can not help you with as I do not have those, but IconThief should got them as well.
    I know the icon name and location, shouldn't matter because im using an overlay.
    See below, i did not customize eu.heinelt.ifile/Icon.png i actually removed it.
    The default ifile icon simply conforms to overlay.
    I also removed com.futix.respring/Icon.png but this default icon remains unaffected by overlay.

I found that a very very few apps use different icon names then the ones IconThief pulls off. I had this with an app called Phy. IconThief gave me an "Icon.png" and another one was "Icon57.png", but neither names for my custom icon would change the default app one, also replacing the icon in the app itself did not work either. If that happens then here is a good way to find the right icon name. On your iPhone go into /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.IconsCache and look for the bundle identifier for that app. When you found it the complete name has the clue to what icon name you have to use. In my case the file name for the Phy app was com.yourcompany.phy_defaultRole-icon57.png_icon72.png_icon114.png-0, and now I knew I had to call my custom icon "icon57.png" (small "i" and not capital "I" as I got from IconThief!). So, I renamed my custom icon to "icon57.png", resprung and it worked perfect.
    Idunno if ur familiar with AppInfo but aside from other functionality, it cuts ^ that in half x10.
    Find ur package, select it, and in one place u see all relevant app info including bundle and icon path.

Regarding the Music player change have a look at /private/var/stash/Applications/iPodOut.app and/or /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPodUI.framework. The problem here is that when you copy the png files to your PC to edit them you can not open or see them, they need to be discrypted. I use a little software called "fixpngWindows" that does exactly that, now you can look through them, edit them and put them into a new Bundles/com.apple.iPodUI.framework folder (not completely sure about that bundle identifier name!, but check /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iPodUI.framework/info.plist, that will tell you the correct bundle identifier name) and Folders/iPodOut.app folder respectively.
    Hope this helped you somehow.
    U have given me a place to start.
    =]
    Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -422834_304127266313020_100001472466339_865503_1689262543_n.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by wileyactr View Post
    Looks like you are in for a long wait to get any help here.
    Im new to iphone forums, but im not new to forums.
    Its no secret old skool rules, every forum is its own little gangsta nerd community.
    Strangers are allowed to pass through, but wont receive any help from the locals.

The irony is, newbies help newbies until they become regulars.
    And by the time theyre regulars they dont even need the help anymore.
    But at that point they have nerd cred, and become the silent moderators they used to curse for not helping a newbie out.

Green Apple
    Thanks

http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-4-ne...ml#post6420535

Can anybody gimme a hand?

Is it as simple as creating a folder as I did? What should I name the icons? How do I find out what they should be called?

Quote Originally Posted by bubble.tea View Post
    I'm not having any luck.

I used to be able to do the icon theming swaps on the old firmware., but this new OS 5 is confusing me.

I have gone through the bundles., and it seems the icons for these items are there, for the icons that aren't, this theme has an auto-theming ability, so I'm wondering why I am seeing standard icons for the above-mentioned apps .

I deleted xHD, and reinstalled it, but sadly that didn't fix anything.

Can someone help please?

I out of desperation created a Folder "Icons", in the theme and put the fol files in it, hoping it would solve it, but it didn't:
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected] (should it be [email protected]?)
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

resprung 3 times, but nothing. I probably have the wrong titles or something.

Can someone help please?
    1. The icon filenames are each [email protected]
    2. HD uses 'bundles' folder, not icons.
    3. To correctly identify the bundle u put each Icon.png in, get AppInfo from cydia, it will tell u icon filenames and identify ur bundles.

Eg, camera;
    var/stash/themes/YOURTHEME/bundles/com.apple.camera/[email protected]

Green Apple
    Thanks

So if I understand you correctly, creating that Icons folder for Icons (I would want to quick&dirty over-ride and point to) doesn't work in this type of theme?

If that is correct, then I need the Icons placed IN the Bundles for them to work?

I'll check again, but I remember finding two or three of icons IN those bundles, yet they weren't displaying. As though the theme wasn't pointing to the icons, rather to the original stock 4S icons.

Lastly, There are a few of the icons which don't have specific Bundles in the theme folder, Could I just create the bundle folder then? How do I know what to call it?

Appreciate the lightning quick reply .

SD; themes/YOURTHEME/icons
    HD; themes/YOURTHEME/bundles

Its one or the other. You have an iPhone 4S and ur running a HD theme that means u want the bundles folder.

Again, to learn the bundle names for all ur installed apps, get appinfo from cydia. If the bundles - folders - inside ur bundle folder dont exist for soecific apps, create them according to what u see in appinfo. Scroll up this post and you'll see the examples i gave with ifile & respring.

And as u will also see in this post, i too am still looking for help on a few stubborn icons that wont change, but for the most part ur problem can be fixed following the above.

A

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks again! Will try it out and see what happens.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It seems like I've read a thread about this elsewhere. The auto-skinning works for downloaded apps, but not stock apps?

I looked, and there are custom icons in each of the respective bundles for the icons I've listed, but they're not displaying. Doh?

Green Apple
    Thanks

[Solved]So I just went into var/stash/applications (IE the stock folders for the stock icons), and replaced the original icons with the 6odd xHD custom icons that weren't displaying. It's a dirty solution, as I will need to manually replace these icons if I ever choose to change themes...but I've been known to keep the same theme/*cough*/ avatar...for going on 7years now LOL.

If a dynamic solution IE, a fix for the theme proper can be found, I would appreciate being told, and I'm sure others would as well.

FYI, all the themed icons do exist in xHD's Bundles., just not sure why they don't display....arghhh.

Anyway, I have a 100% fully operational...and simply gorgeous xHD going now .

[Solved]So I just went into var/stash/applications (IE the stock folders for the stock icons), and replaced the original icons with the 6odd xHD custom icons that weren't displaying. It's a dirty solution, as I will need to manually replace these icons if I ever choose to change themes

If a dynamic solution IE, a fix for the theme proper can be found, I would appreciate being told, and I'm sure others would as well.
    It seems like I've read a thread about this elsewhere. The auto-skinning works for downloaded apps, but not stock apps?
    The overlay - auto skin - works for stock and third party apps.
    Why some apps refuse to change im not sure.
    Replacing the default icon had crossed my mind.
    What im looking for instead is the line of code that must be pointing the phone to this icon, and editing it so that the icon will now follow the overlay. Ur dynamic solution in other words.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast