+ Reply
Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS .ARTWORK file Extractor (with Tutorial)

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Originally Posted by Jato_BZ Possibly, but the emojis ATM will need to match EXACTLY the emoji icons to recompile or it will fail. So a simple script might not work
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    Possibly, but the emojis ATM will need to match EXACTLY the emoji icons to recompile or it will fail. So a simple script might not work as every png is randomly sized & it's not all set at 58x58px.

Anyway

Hey guys

Thought I'd share with you the success I have had in extracting the 7X emoji .ttf file & also themeing them!

Here is "#" emoji themed.
    There is a double up of emoji icons in the emoji .ttf file. So there is a smaller version like 38x38px that u see in your msg bubble or text input bar. The larger version say 58x61px actually appears on your keyboard.

See below!

Attachment 670778

And with the keyboard unpressed but both # emojis themed...

Attachment 670777
    Emoji on Keyboard + Popups is Magnified when pressed = Size 1.
    Emoji in/on System = Size 2.

Emoji icons are not all one flat Size- So it can be random

Just putting It the way I get it-

Good progress!

Yeah Thanks for your work man.

OCD,

Last edited by vXBaKeRXv; 06-14-2014 at 08:43 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vXBaKeRXv For This Useful Post:

menard_00 (06-14-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,944 Times in 1,411 Posts

Possibly, but the emojis ATM will need to match EXACTLY the emoji icons to recompile or it will fail. So a simple script might not work as every png is randomly sized & it's not all set at 58x58px.

Anyway

Hey guys

Thought I'd share with you the success I have had in extracting the 7X emoji .ttf file & also themeing them!

Here is "#" emoji themed.
    There is a double up of emoji icons in the emoji .ttf file. So there is a smaller version like 38x38px that u see in your msg bubble or text input bar. The larger version say 58x61px actually appears on your keyboard.

See below!

And with the keyboard unpressed but both # emojis themed...
    Understood, but wouldn't a lot of the "double ups" be a certain percentage larger than their counterpart? Even if that's not the case, I think you're underestimating the real power of scripts. Granted, the basic built in recorder in PS is pretty limited, but it has to be. Think of the different DPI settings and how a pixel isn't really a defined measurement, compared to as we know a "foot" is approximately "30cm". So it has to make adjustments based on % to factor in for these things.

BUT.....When you write your own scripts, and replace the code with any argument or variable you want, then you have something that can do *almost anything you wish. If it took me 1hr to write a specific script for the emojis, then it would save me 2hrs the first time I run it

Tell me an action you can't make a batch process perform, and I'll show you 2 people who've asked the question before, and 1 good answer Thank you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sk37cH For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (06-14-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,237 Times in 1,864 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sk37cH View Post
    Understood, but wouldn't a lot of the "double ups" be a certain percentage larger than their counterpart? Even if that's not the case, I think you're underestimating the real power of scripts. Granted, the basic built in recorder in PS is pretty limited, but it has to be. Think of the different DPI settings and how a pixel isn't really a defined measurement, compared to as we know a "foot" is approximately "30cm". So it has to make adjustments based on % to factor in for these things.

BUT.....When you write your own scripts, and replace the code with any argument or variable you want, then you have something that can do *almost anything you wish. If it took me 1hr to write a specific script for the emojis, then it would save me 2hrs the first time I run it

Tell me an action you can't make a batch process perform, and I'll show you 2 people who've asked the question before, and 1 good answer Thank you.
    It's not about who's right & who's wrong. I was just saying the pngs are not all the same size so it may be difficult for a script to take into account all the size variations.

Happy for you to prove me wrong if u feel the need when I post the icons

Thank you
    Twitter Id: @Jato_BZ
    Ask questions here or there, or follow/preview my theme build process...something different

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

dsg (06-14-2014)

Thanks

Default iOS .ARTWORK file Extractor (with Tutorial)
    Happy for you to prove me wrong
    Just to re-iterate what you said.. It's not about who's right and wrong. I'd be doing it to save myself time (and A LOT of it), not to prove a point (or "prove you wrong" in this case). I gave up trying to prove points here long ago lol. I've ran into many "limitations" whilst scripting, only to find a variable or argument in code that gets me well past that particular "limitation". I've probably spent a couple o hundred hours researching scripting techniques, and even if I spent another 100, I'd still have saved many hours Thank you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sk37cH For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (06-15-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,286 Posts

Just to re-iterate what you said.. It's not about who's right and wrong. I'd be doing it to save myself time (and A LOT of it), not to prove a point (or "prove you wrong" in this case). I gave up trying to prove points here long ago lol. I've ran into many "limitations" whilst scripting, only to find a variable or argument in code that gets me well past that particular "limitation". I've probably spent a couple o hundred hours researching scripting techniques, and even if I spent another 100, I'd still have saved many hours Thank you.
    Yeah.. Scripting is a HUUUUGE timesaver in the final analysis.. We use it in music software all the time.. One time it took me over a month to set up a script for one task.. But the hours and hours it's saved me since that one month investment - has more than paid back the time debt..
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Sk37cH (06-15-2014)

Thanks

Amen to that ND. You would have seen the CutConcept iWidget that Marty and myself released. That thread (version2 alone) in Everyme is about 300 posts long, and I had to change both canvas and "rendered pixel area" about 50 times. Take that 50times, then multiply it by 20frames, and 4 weather icon sets (from scratch), and you got yourself a few days saved there alone Thank you.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sk37cH For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (06-15-2014), NewdestinyX (06-15-2014)

Thanks

I'm never wrong 😜 lol

14. The Following User Says Thank You to vXBaKeRXv For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (06-15-2014)

Thanks

Look, I wasn't saying scripting isn't useful. I just said it may not be 100% possible with the 2 sets of emoji icons. They are not increased by a certain % on the larger icon or set to pre defined sizes.

It is random & sporadic

Accept that

Thank you
    Ask questions here or there, or follow/preview my theme build process...something different

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

dsg (06-15-2014), Lobi_Earl (06-16-2014), menard_00 (06-15-2014)

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vXBaKeRXv View Post
    I'm never wrong �� lol
    until you posted that
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (06-15-2014), vXBaKeRXv (06-16-2014)

Thanks

They are not increased by a certain % on the larger icon or set to pre defined sizes.
    Look, I'm saying there's a way around this Thank you.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sk37cH For This Useful Post:

vXBaKeRXv (06-16-2014)

Thanks

Ok

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

vXBaKeRXv (06-16-2014)

Thanks

Ahaha lol Things would be so lame if we were all the same -

What you at 420 ?

Thanks

Look, I wasn't saying scripting isn't useful. I just said it may not be 100% possible with the 2 sets of emoji icons. They are not increased by a certain % on the larger icon or set to pre defined sizes.

It is random & sporadic

Accept that

Thank you
    Yes. If there are zero patterns in the conversion process then scripting would be useless. But zero patterns is almost never the case. But you're deep in it - and I'm not.

Some people also just prefer a completely 'manual' process which would also preclude any automation. That's been the ethos of this thread since the start. All good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Yes. If there are zero patterns in the conversion process then scripting would be useless. But zero patterns is almost never the case. But you're deep in it - and I'm not.
    Even if there is 0 patterns we can add arguments to the code to get a small portion 100% automated. Say if there are 0 patterns, I can still record the entire process, and then replace the files with other sets, and so long as I'm meticulous with my naming of layers (check my photoshop screen caps), then I can run it again. Or even run it to make colour changes on layers Long process, but having it record your actions as you do them is no harder than actually doing them.

Some people also just prefer a completely 'manual' process which would also preclude any automation. That's been the ethos of this thread since the start. All good.
    My script is of little use to anyone else...at least in the sense they won't be able to run it without my vector masterPSDs....but it is useful in case anyone wants a mod of particular sets of orange smileys changed to a coffe tone or something more exotic.In my original post (and re-iterated in the post below) that started people questioning that scripts would be of no use, when 1000+ images are involved (??), I stated it was merely an observation that I may be able to save myself some time here. Thank you.

I'd be doing it to save myself time (and A LOT of it), not to prove a point.

Thanks

My script is of little use to anyone else...at least in the sense they won't be able to run it without my vector masterPSDs....but it is useful in case anyone wants a mod of particular sets of orange smileys changed to a coffe tone or something more exotic.In my original post (and re-iterated in the post below) that started people questioning that scripts would be of no use, when 1000+ images are involved (??), I stated it was merely an observation that I may be able to save myself some time here. Thank you.
    Yes, SK.. I know all about scripting. Been using it for many years in my daily work.. You're right you can even record your individual, non-patterned, steps one by one. But you missed the second part of what I said. For the folks that like manual themeing, automation - of any kind - takes away the interest in the process. Jato and others do what they do, in the way they do it, because of the joy of the discovery and the process itself. Automation of any kind would kill the buzz... ... I'm guessin'.. Most manual themers don't even like using Winterboard at all.

But also don't miss what Jato said that each emoji had entirely different parameters to work with.. So what I inferred from that is that it would take the same amount of time to create the script for each Emoji as it would to simply convert each one separately without a script. If that's the case then I see his point fully.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 06-16-2014 at 07:30 AM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

dsg (06-16-2014), Jato_BZ (06-16-2014)

Thanks

As soon as I have the icons fully extracted I'd be interested to see the automation applied.

@NewD, I'm all for automation especially if it makes it easier. I just wasnt sure if it was possible.

Extracting out the icons is a laborious exercise. Unfortunately my "Python" knowledge is rather limited.

But saying that, the iOS-artwork.py script is extracting as expected. I just manually have to ID the images & then update the header details in the hashed/hacked together 6X .artwork/emoji .ttf files.

FYI - 500 icons extracted - 1186 to go if my theoretical calculations are correct OR 343 of the smaller first emoji set. I'm about 2.6MBs in & 4.5MBs in is where the larger emoji icons begin.

ImageUploadedByModMyi1402942026.611867.jpg

There are going to be a few issues so once I hit the new larger emoji icons I'm going to cut away the larger emoji icon section & start over. At the start I thought there were only 843 icons max, the 6X .artwork header was built to handle 1178 pngs, so it will not handle the info/offset tables for 1686.

I could theoretically push the tables down into the file but this will require all the image offsets for the icons to be updated along with the filename references. There's about 3 offset tables which are all interlinked.

Once I have all 1686 extracted the plan is to try & understand the emoji .ttf file further to build a dedicated "iOS-emoji.py" Python script that will extract/recompile any given emoji .ttf file. But first I need to know all the variables to do this.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

dsg (06-16-2014), menard_00 (06-16-2014)

Thanks

You still "the man", Jato!! I know one day in iOS 8 I'll see an emoji theme and remember that it was made possible by your hard work!!

Hey - do this have a full time job? A student? Or are you just independently wealthy to have all this time for emoji's??

Thanks again, Jato!!

Thanks

You still "the man", Jato!! I know one day in iOS 8 I'll see an emoji theme and remember that it was made possible by your hard work!!

Hey - do this have a full time job? A student? Or are you just independently wealthy to have all this time for emoji's??

Thanks again, Jato!!
    Haha! Plus the settings icons too & iCloud settings icons as those are both now .artwork files!

I actually do insurance as my fulltime job but work on iOS stuff in the evenings/weekend. I Dj every second sat at a club down here, it helps me buy my iDevices.

What about u NewD?

Thanks

I'm a professional musician/producer/recording engineer by trade, Jato. Also do a bunch of work in video production and studio design, computer consulting/beta testing for software. I do a whole bunch of things to make up one living… But have that glorious blessing of the freedom to make my own schedule. I'm "livin' the dream" and have no complaints.

Thanks

I'm a professional musician/producer/recording engineer by trade, Jato. Also do a bunch of work in video production and studio design, computer consulting/beta testing for software. I do a whole bunch of things to make up one living… But have that glorious blessing of the freedom to make my own schedule. I'm "livin' the dream" and have no complaints.
    Nice one, agree Living the dream (LTD) for sure!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

NewdestinyX (06-16-2014)