Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 39 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS .ARTWORK file Extractor (with Tutorial)

@NewD. It's not .car files, it's .artwork files. They still need to be recompiled into the .artwork file and that's what Jato has been doing. Prior to iOS 7, the Stock setting icons could simply be PNGs and placed in the preference bundle. That is not the case anymore. Your themes have the setting icons because of Jato, not by default.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (04-17-2014), dsg (04-17-2014), Jahooba (04-17-2014), Jato_BZ (04-17-2014), King_O_Hill (04-17-2014), menard_00 (04-17-2014)

iPhone? More like MyPhone menard_00's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Are you saying that all theme modders who have modded Apple stock settings icons - came to Jato and asked him to do it for them?
    Until the extraction tool was updated, yes he was taking request from theme modders and theming their settings icons. In cydia there were updates to a lot of themes to add these icons and they even give credit to Jato in the description.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to menard_00 For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (04-17-2014), dsg (04-17-2014), Jato_BZ (04-17-2014), King_O_Hill (04-17-2014)

WHY do we need to manually theme when Winterboard can already hook into everything we need with SB icons and settings icons and 70% of UI elements. Is it just to get at that last 30% of UI made untouchable by Winterboard in iOS 7?
    Yes.
    Jato keeps showing pictures of Settings icons he's changed as a result of lots of decompiling and recompiling - and yet I have access in all my themes to settings icons via WB..
    That's thanks to him Jato.
    The theme in my posts is 3 4 All, by Sk37cH.

The numerous versions released, and infinite versatility, beats IconOmatic mods. By quality.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alfroggy For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (04-17-2014), King_O_Hill (04-17-2014)

Ah!! Thanks Krima, Alfroggy & Menard.. for setting me straight.. Though my respect for Jato was already pretty off the charts - now I realize I have him (and his think tank here) to thank for the uniformity in all my current themes with regard to settings icons.

Thanks, Jato!! You are the best kept secret on MMi, bro! I'm in the theme threads a lot and rarely is your name mentioned or credited. I will attempt to change that...

Did you (Jato) write this extraction tool that modders can use on their own now?
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (04-17-2014), menard_00 (04-17-2014)

Thanks

Did you (Jato) write this extraction tool that modders can use on their own now?
    It's Dave Peck's iOS-artwork extractor. Jato updated the json files to extract and recompile the ios7 IconCache. Artwork. I make it sound simple, but he put a lot of his time into this.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to menard_00 For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (04-17-2014), Jato_BZ (04-17-2014)

Yes, a lot of time and whining about it!

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (04-17-2014), Jato_BZ (04-17-2014), menard_00 (04-17-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,514 Times in 2,146 Posts

All of my themes have all Apple Stock settings icons themed via WB. I was pretty sure WB itself already hooked into the proper .car to get the job done. I don't believe the modders had to use any compiling recompiling techniques - or the theme .deb would have had to replace .car files already on our phones.

Are you saying that all theme modders who have modded Apple stock settings icons - came to Jato and asked him to do it for them?
    Ok...
    Firstly no file is getting manually replaced to theme the Settings icons.

BUT, both WinterBoard & the iOS are expecting in the runtime Bundle ID: com.apple.Preferences "iconCache" .artwork for the Settings icons. The fact that Saurik made it possibly on 6X to theme as individual icons was a bonus really! I don't know why he can't hook what he needs to in iOS7 to do it as he did in 6X.

So in short, no iconCache file to theme the Settings icons in your WB, no themeing the "default" Settings icons.

YES, for over a month, everyone knew I was recompiling Settings icons day & night! I've done over 300 recompiles for theme creators! My Twitter follower count blew up from 300 before working this out to almost 650 now. Until I released the tools last week or the week before ONLY Pimskeks had done a recompile for Surenix AFTER I pushed the extracted Settings icons zip to Surenix.

For Xpprem I did 14 Recompiles for ALL 7 of his themes Retina & NON Retina...

Quote Originally Posted by menard_00 View Post
    Why is it on the way out? Nobody found a way to theme settings icons with winterboard in ios7. Is that going to change with ios8?
    Well with the dumping of the Shared .artwork files (6x & below) to the now "UIKit_OriginalArtwork.car/UIKit_NewArtwork.car files that's the main "UI" files not being .artwork files.

The only .artwork files that exist in 7X, are:

iconCache .artwork (Settings icons)
    SIRI .artwork files (7)

and that's it. 7X sees less reliance on .artwork files & more emphasis on .car files.

I consider .car files to be a 2.0 or "evolved" take on the .artwork file.

I don't think a command line extractor tool will ever exist. Dave Peck has stated to build an extractor tool would be a "massive undertaking". However you can extract most .car files thru @0xced's Xcode extractor project. Couple issues, it only grabs "core" .car files & it doesn't recompile!

Why the need to recompile? Because once again WB isn't hooking ALL .car files. That's why themes aren't as complete as they were on 6X.
    Last edited by Jato_BZ; 04-17-2014 at 11:43 AM.
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (04-17-2014), dsg (04-17-2014), Jahooba (04-17-2014), King_O_Hill (04-17-2014), menard_00 (04-17-2014), NewdestinyX (04-17-2014)

Thanks

Thank you for the clear explanation. Sounds like it would take a group of people, dedicated to just a .car extractor, to bring this to life.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to menard_00 For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (04-17-2014), Jahooba (04-17-2014), Jato_BZ (04-17-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by menard_00 View Post
    Thank you for the clear explanation. Sounds like it would take a group of people, dedicated to just a .car extractor, to bring this to life.
    No worries man! Don't get me wrong I'd LOVE to make or be apart of a team to create a .car extractor via Command Line. But it's not a short term undertaking.

My thoughts are, to extract a full set of pngs from a .car file. .car files contain at a minimum:

Retina pngs
    Non Retina pngs
    iPad pngs

You can manipulate @0xceds Xcode extractor to grab those other pngs by using the "Simulator" in Xcode.

So, start with that, then work on the smallest .car file that contains those 3 image types is my thoughts!

That's where Im at with it, & unfortunately my MBP is busted so no Xcode on OSX for me!
    Last edited by Jato_BZ; 04-17-2014 at 08:38 PM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (04-17-2014), Jahooba (04-17-2014), menard_00 (04-17-2014)

Thanks

Discovered you do not need a MAC to reverse engineer IPSW files 100%. I read online somewhere that after you have extracted the initial .IPSW file, THEN extracted the "core" .dmg you can actually change the .dmg extension to .7zip and open the archive and pull out files as needed.

So with that knowledge I dove into the 5.0 & 5.1.1 IPSW's i'd extracted & hunted down the "AssistantMic.artwork" files I needed to validate my updated "AssistantMic.artwork.json". Well BOTH AssistantMic.artwork files extracted perfectly fine so its safe to assume that the JSON I pushed to Dave Peck should be perfect to extract/recompile 5X Siri files...assuming anyone is still on 5X & Jailbroken!

-5x_assistantmic.png

I also seen support from Dave Peck with the Keyboard emoji's that were only present in 5.0 - 5.0.1 & subsequently updated to a font file in 5.1 +.

So I decided to pull the "[email protected] from the 5.0 rootfs.7zip file...it extracted good as! here it is here incase you never seen the emoji's extracted!

-keyboard.png

I had a look around on the net to see if anyone has built a extractor tool for 5.1 + emoji.ttf files! Turns out someone has so Im looking into that a bit more!

Also managed to find some 7.0 beta 5 & 6 IPSW's and dmg's & have managed to extract all the rootfs.dmg's from them! Going to mount them (4 x Rootfs.dmgs) up on a friend's Mac today...You can find anything if you look/hunt long enough right?

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (04-18-2014), dsg (04-17-2014), Jahooba (04-17-2014), King_O_Hill (04-18-2014), menard_00 (04-18-2014), NewdestinyX (04-18-2014), Sk37cH (04-18-2014)

Nice work bro!

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

dsg (04-18-2014), Jato_BZ (04-18-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Nice work bro!
    Thanks man! Got a good stash of 5X/6X & 7X extracted IPSWs now!

Also pulling down the Xcode 5 (iOS7.0) .dmg & will pull down Xcode 5.1 (7.1) dmg tomorrow.

They are one of the last pieces in the puzzle in amassing all the required software/tools to then start chasing down SIRI 7X binaries, arrays & metadata!

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (04-18-2014), dsg (04-18-2014), King_O_Hill (04-18-2014)

Hi all! I read this thread two times but I already don't understand: i've an ipsw of iOS 7.0 first beta. I want to extract the iconcache.artwork file ok. Now I must create a json file before....how can create a json file.?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deloextra View Post
    Hi all! I read this thread two times but I already don't understand: i've an ipsw of iOS 7.0 first beta. I want to extract the iconcache.artwork file ok. Now I must create a json file before....how can create a json file.?
    No there's no mention of authoring your own JSON files.

As I've outlined earlier its simply just a txt/doc with the relevant metadata that lets the iOS extractor extract/recompile the correct pngs per "Legacy" .artwork
    file.

The art is deciphering the info from the iconCache .artwork file & creating the relevant JSON.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (04-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    No there's no mention of authoring your own JSON files.

As I've outlined earlier its simply just a txt/doc with the relevant metadata that lets the iOS extractor extract/recompile the correct pngs per "Legacy" .artwork
    file.

The art is deciphering the info from the iconCache .artwork file & creating the relevant JSON.
    Ah ok sorry I'm not an expert whit this things so I should deciphering the artwork info, with? There is a specific program or just an hex editor or...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deloextra View Post
    Ah ok sorry I'm not an expert whit this things so I should deciphering the artwork info, with? There is a specific program or just an hex editor or...
    Just a hex editor, luckily is all you need. Then adjust the iconCache JSON as necessary.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (04-27-2014), Deloextra (04-27-2014), menard_00 (04-27-2014)

hi.
    been trying to use this to extract the ios7 iconCache@2x .artwork folder. but i keep on getting either a "iOS-artwork.py no such file or directory" or a "syntax error" messages.

i have followed both the guides (original & the ios7 version by Jato) and it refuses to work.

ive attached a screenshot showing one of the errors

-screenshot.png

thanks

Thanks

Looks like to me there are a few errors but that can be easily fixed.

Firstly you need to "Change directory"
    to your "Python27" folder.

From the s/s u posted its CPython27

So once u first open CMD type

cd CPython27

Hit enter.

No need to type "python" either before "iOS-artwork.py" just start with "iOS-artwork.py" then type the rest as u have it.

Normally I just extract/export to a folder within my Python27 folder.

I see you are trying to extract to C drive then folder "artwork" then the sub folder "pngs" ???

Just make a NEW folder in the Python27 folder named "pngs" without the quotation marks.

The export folder needs to be typed out in full the path to it.

e.g CPython27\pngs

See how u go with that

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (04-28-2014), King_O_Hill (04-28-2014), menard_00 (04-28-2014), oldgit9 (04-28-2014)

Thanks

You need to be in the dir that your ios-artwork.py is in. On my computer it is CPython27\

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to menard_00 For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (04-28-2014), Jato_BZ (04-28-2014), King_O_Hill (04-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    Looks like to me there are a few errors but that can be easily fixed.

Firstly you need to "Change directory"
    to your "Python27" folder.

From the s/s u posted its CPython27

So once u first open CMD type

cd CPython27

Hit enter.

No need to type "python" either before "iOS-artwork.py" just start with "iOS-artwork.py" then type the rest as u have it.

Normally I just extract/export to a folder within my Python27 folder.

I see you are trying to extract to C drive then folder "artwork" then the sub folder "pngs" ???

Just make a NEW folder in the Python27 folder named "pngs" without the quotation marks.

The export folder needs to be typed out in full the path to it.

e.g CPython27\pngs

See how u go with that
    thanks...i will give that a go now...

the only reason why i was extracting to the "artwork" folder, is because the original guide stated the path in its example. at first, i did put the export folder in the "python" folder. i'll put them back in there...

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldgit9 For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (04-28-2014), menard_00 (04-28-2014)

Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 39 ... LastLast