+ Reply
Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 36 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS .ARTWORK file Extractor (with Tutorial)

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
@Jato I may have it but I need to Check. At work now, will get back to you later.
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,289 Times in 2,311 Posts

@Jato I may have it but I need to Check. At work now, will get back to you later.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krima For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-09-2013), Jato_BZ (10-09-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,310 Times in 1,883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krima View Post
    Thanks dude! No hurry! My PC is still busted, in Recon phase! That must have been an independent script? Would be handy to include in the OP!
    Thanks
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-09-2013), Krima (10-09-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone broodwar's Avatar
    Thanks

So my friend. I have found it on my TimeMachine Backup from 30.11.2012.

here the Link for you:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...artwork.py.zip

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to broodwar For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-10-2013), Jato_BZ (10-10-2013), King_O_Hill (10-10-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by broodwar View Post
    So my friend. I have found it on my TimeMachine Backup from 30.11.2012.

here the Link for you:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...artwork.py.zip
    Thank you bro! I may get CrAcKzZZ to add it to the OP!

Very appreciative & thankful to Krima who offered help too!

Yuh I knew it went back to last year!

Grabbed it! Stored safely in my iPhone now too!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-10-2013), broodwar (10-10-2013), King_O_Hill (10-10-2013), Krima (10-10-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone broodwar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post

Grabbed it! Stored safely in my iPhone now too!
    Yes. Please do it... i'm glad that i could help out with it

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to broodwar For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (10-10-2013), King_O_Hill (10-10-2013)

Thanks

I flicked CrAcKzZZ a DM. Hopefully he gets it. Keep that Python stuff handy from back then. I had to use Python 2.7 only plus the THEN Dave Peck tidbits to extract/recompile iOS5 Siri files. I could never get Python 2.7.3 & Dave's revised tidbits plus the iOS-artwork.py script to extract iOS5 Siri files. So I went between the two versions of Python I had.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-10-2013), broodwar (10-10-2013), King_O_Hill (10-10-2013)

Thanks

Just thought I'd let u guys know that the standalone iphone-artwork.py script is all that's needed to extract AssistantMic.artwork files (iOS5) placed into your Python folder.

For some reason the iOS-artwork.py script doesn't work.

Thanks once again broodwar for uploading this!

Very happy!

ImageUploadedByModMyi1381540137.588064.jpg

Be good if CrAcKzZZ could add the "iphone-artwork.py" script to the OP

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-12-2013), broodwar (10-12-2013), Sk37cH (10-11-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey can anyone help me am gettin this error every time:iOS .ARTWORK file Extractor (with Tutorial)-error.png

iOS .ARTWORK file Extractor (with Tutorial)-error2.png

no matter what i do i still getting this error

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by karakanm View Post
    Hey can anyone help me am gettin this error every time:Attachment 649958

Attachment 649959

no matter what i do i still getting this error
    It looks like your syntax (commands) are not 100% correct.

If you follow exactly how it's typed in the first post it will work.

The iOS-artwork.py & extractor tool is CASE sensitive & syntax specific otherwise it will error out as per your error messages shown.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (12-01-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It looks like your syntax (commands) are not 100% correct.

If you follow exactly how it's typed in the first post it will work.

The iOS-artwork.py & extractor tool is CASE sensitive & syntax specific otherwise it will error out as per your error messages shown.
    I just copy/paste the code from post #1 but still error so it must be something else

Thanks

I just copy/paste the code from post #1 but still error so it must be something else
    Very odd, care to upload a screenshot of the folders inside your Python27 folder??? You are using Python 2.7.3? What firmware .artwork are you trying to extract?
    Last edited by Jato_BZ; 12-01-2013 at 12:40 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (12-01-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Very odd, care to upload a screenshot of the folders inside your Python27 folder??? You are using Python 2.7.3? What firmware .artwork are you trying to extract?
    iOS .ARTWORK file Extractor (with Tutorial)-3.png

i have a iphone 5 Ios 6.1

am using this:

iOS .ARTWORK file Extractor (with Tutorial)-33.png

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	139
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	649967

i have a iphone 5 Ios 6.1

am using this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	33.png
Views:	129
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	649968
    last Picture was mistake uploading, sorry my english
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iOS .ARTWORK file Extractor (with Tutorial)-3.png  
    Last edited by karakanm; 12-01-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks

Ok I have the same phone & iOS.

I'd suggest running Python 2.7.3, here is a link to a post where I uploaded it.

It's on Page 11 of this thread halfway down.

iOS .ARTWORK file Extractor (with Tutorial)

I use this extractor daily so there is usually issues ONLY if the Syntax is wrong.

Also I noticed in the your Python folder you didn't have the [email protected]k file in there? Whatever .artwork file you are trying to extract needs to be in the Python Folder not hidden away in another folder. The iOS-artwork.py script needs to reference it directly without trying to find it in other folders.
    Last edited by Jato_BZ; 12-02-2013 at 01:58 PM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (12-01-2013), King_O_Hill (12-01-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok I have the same phone & iOS.

I'd suggest running Python 2.7.3, here is a link to a post where I uploaded it.

It's on Page 11 of this thread halfway down.

iOS .ARTWORK file Extractor (with Tutorial) - Page 11

I use this extractor daily so there is usually issues if the Syntax is wrong.

Also I noticed in the your Python folder you didn't have the [email protected]k file in there? Whatever .artwork file you are trying to extract needs to be in the Python Folder not hidden away in another folder. The iOS-artwork.py script needs to reference it directly without trying to find it in other folders.
    i have just installed 2.7.3, i have also put the [email protected]k from from iphone 5 in the python27 folder like you said, i removed the other python version before installing 2.7.3, restarted the computer but still same error is there,,,, unbelieveble :-(

Thanks

Well it's a good start u have python 2.7.3 installed & the .artwork file in the Python folder.

Can you post a screenshot of the error msg & your folder contents?

The extractor is hard to set up but once correct it works flawlessly.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (12-02-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 836 Posts

As far as I know, iPhoneiHelper, Jato is the only one that has figured out how to extract and recompile the iconCache using a custom, manual method.

We're talking about it over in this thread at the moment: iOS7x Theme GUIDE

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (02-23-2014), Jato_BZ (02-23-2014), King_O_Hill (02-23-2014)

Thanks

The problem is, it's a hackery butchered method I'm using. Dave's extractor works YES, but requires the iconCache file to be cut into 3 sections via a hex editor at very specific byte offsets.

You need 3 JSON files added to your "Legacy Metadata" folder along with the 3 .artwork files in your Python folder & run the iOS-artwork.py 3 times to extract or import them.

Dave's iOS-artwork.py script is broken
    but not impossible to use.

Then once you have the 3 new .artwork files they have to be pasted one at a time over the original iconCache file in a hex editor as raw byte data not overwriting the binary plist at the end of the iconCache file.

Instead of releasing it as it is, I'm trying to get the process ALL automated so it does all that behind the scenes.

I believe the process is too complicated & will result in a million more questions than if I just got the whole process all scripted by one python script than asking the end user to do all the above.

Would that not make sense?

Dave said he's not in any rush to update the iOS-artwork.py script.
    Last edited by Jato_BZ; 02-23-2014 at 10:50 AM.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (02-23-2014), dsg (03-16-2014), King_O_Hill (02-23-2014)

Thanks

Default The "iconCache" .artwork story
    The "iconCache" .artwork story

Wait iconCache .artwork? What is that? What does it do? OR what is a .artwork file?

To quickly explain what a .artwork file is, its a specific set of separate PNG's read & written as ONE contiguous file that iOS knows how to convert/display as PNG's on your iDevice. Its alphabetically arranged and NEVER altered once written. Read only mode for the iOS!

Ever since iOS6 was released Apple sneakily compiled down the "core" or "default" Setting's icons into this "iconCache" .artwork file.
    This was not an issue in iOS5 as the Setting's icons were bundled in the Preferences App as individual icons/pngs. Was it an issue in iOS6?
    No because WinterBoard (WB) was hooking them at "runtime" so as far as themers and the like were concerned they just needed to go in your "com.apple.Preferences" folder and WB would just theme them! Ignorance is bliss so there was never any REAL need to know what this "iconCache" .artwork file was!

ROLL on iOS7 and a very broken 7X WB and SNAP the Setting's icons do not theme anymore! What the? My icons are in the "com.apple.Preferences" folder! Why are they not themeing?

The problem is...Both the iOS & WB are looking for the "[email protected]" file! (what is that file again? what's inside it?)

Rewind back to the Summer of 2013 (for me) when the evasi0n 6X Jailbreak was released and all was pretty good, none of the flat iOS/re-designed stuff you see nowadays. After I posted a 6X thread HERE I started to look into the Setting's icons, it became very apparent in my opinion that the true identity of these icons would be revealed by extracting the "[email protected]" file. I started verifying this by reading the "Settings.plist" file in the Preferences.app (/var/stash/Applications). It made specific references to "get" icons e.g "Settings-Air" from the "iconCache", but was the iconCache file a one time written file or was it as you would think with the term "cache" in the file name written and read from constantly? To further test my thoughts I renamed the "[email protected]" so the iOS was unable to find the file & essentially NOT display the icons within the Settings Pane. CONFIRMED, when the iDevice was resprung almost no icons were visible in the Settings Pane.

So where to now? Extract the [email protected]k file right...

That should be a no brainer, Dave Peck with his iOS-extractor tool should have that covered, I mean he's pretty much extracted EVERY .artwork file since iOS2! #Legend
    I dropped the iconCache artwork file into my Python directory tried to extract and get the error message

"FAIL this tool does not currently support this file"

Well what now? I hit up Dave Peck, "Hey Dave your extractor tool is broken, it won't extract the iconCache.artwork file" Dave didn't get into it too much but said he didn't consider it important so wasn't overly too concerned about it!

So what now? Things are getting pretty desperate!! In a last ditch effort I bundled all what I thought was contained in the "iconCache .artwork" file the iconCache, Settings.plist and sent it off to him. Time ticked on and after a few months I asked him how he was getting on (anxious as I was) he said he still wasn't able to extract it! I was like what!!?? NO!!!!

So really I was left with only one desperate choice, to try and somehow understand how Dave's scripts worked and do it myself! Like DIY essentially!

Where did I start? Can't quite remember but I did have an idea on what the icons looked like and how they were named, it always helps to know what you are dealing with from the onset.

The problem with .artwork files is telling if they are a) Legacy .artwork files or b) Modern .artwork files.

iOS6 saw Modern .artwork files introduced, this was almost ALL .artwork files on iOS6 EXCEPT the SIRI .artwork files. iOS5 and below .artwork files PLUS iOS6 SIRI .artwork files ([email protected]) are what are considered as "Legacy" files

Why the need to know what types of .artwork files exist? Well personally my belief is if one is to extract an unknown .artwork file ONE needs to know what type of .artwork file they are dealing with and how it is put together (to essentially extract!).

So it really comes down to what type of .artwork file is the "[email protected]" file? One could assume it was a "modern" artwork file as this file was introduced in iOS6! iOS6 = modern .artwork file right? Well almost but remember the SIRI .artwork file ([email protected])
    is LEGACY!

BUT why the need to know?

Legacy .artwork files require a JSON file that contains the "metadata" to extract/recompile .artwork files
    Modern .artwork files have their own manifest built in e.g metadata packed into the start of the .artwork file in the form of a header.

So there straight away is a problem with LEGACY .artwork files, "metadata" & where to get it from? Going off the .py scripts you get when downloading Dave Peck's "tidbits" from his Github, I converted those scripts to .txt and read them.

Particular interest "legacy_artwork_file.py" converted to .txt>READ. So it apparently to obtain the metadata you need to "crack" the binary.
    Dang that sounds hard, how about "guessitimating" instead...

It's now that the "Settings.plist" (iOS6) comes in handy, open this in iFile and going thru the fields was "iconCache" and the associated filename of the icon. e.g iconCache: Settings-Air = Settings-Air icon, so after going thru the Setting's plist there was about thirty (30) or so icons in the iOS6 [email protected]k file.

So essentially I knew the image names, image width * height but the unknown is the byte offset into the iconCache file. When I first started looking at this I didnt have any clue what byte offset was so my guess was to take the iconCache file and divide total bytes by number of icons. e.g 523,378 bytes / 30 icons = 17445

My thoughts were to make my own JSON file (essentially a structured .txt/.doc file that Python understands) to extract the icons out! From my mucking around with "Legacy" .artwork files and JSON scripts is, you dont actually need all the correct info to extract something. So with the info I had I put together a "[email protected]" file, chucked it in the "legacy_metadata" folder!

So I ran the command "iOS-artwork.py export -a CPython27\[email protected] -d CPython27\T

Well it didnt kick out the previous "FAIL" message but it did kick out a whole host of errors...

I was a bit disappointed with that outcome, and actually decided to stew on it a bit more as I wasn't sure what direction to take.

I had been speaking with a couple Dev's that require mention both "@Matchstic" (Convergance Dev) & @DougThwaites (.artwork Greyscale FIX Dev). Between the three of us while we didnt get to the bottom of it together they do deserve credits for assisting and putting up with my ongoing bombardment of questions! THANKS GUYS!

It wasn't till I had started opening up "known" iOS5 "Legacy" files that I kinda picked up on something. My thoughts were, iOS5 were "Legacy" files and required these specific JSON files. SO I picked on the iOS5 Shared@2x~iphone.artwork file, why would I pick on that? It only has three (3) PNG's within it! So it should be a lot easier to understand! Looking at the .artwork files in a Hex Editor is a "dizzying" experience to say the least!

What I was looking for is where did image 1,2 & 3 START & END! That was it in a nutshell! I went about it a long way in the end, I actually decided to manually hex edit some byte data as it couldn't hurt and had no other leads! But this is clearly identified in the JSON files!

It wasn't till started hex editing a "known" "Legacy" file that I managed to join the dots (bytes essentially) and go from there. All you need to know
    is 4 bytes = 1 pixel and go from there!

So in the end I worked out the byte offset for each image and also that there were 32 icons in the 6X [email protected]k file!

To recap:

icon names: CHECK
    width: CHECK
    height: CHECK
    Offset: CHECK

Now to build the correct 6X iconCache JSON file.

Unfortunately even with all the information I had Dave Peck's extractor still errored out, which was disappointing!

I managed to eventually get the extractor to work on 28 icons in one extract and the remaining 4 icons in the last extract!

(Dave Peck later said it's a computational error with his scripts, so hopefully he can address in time)

Now the 7X iconCache .artwork file!!

For some reason it wouldnt do the 28 icon pull (28 icon extract) so I hex edited the 7X iconCache file in 3 smaller sized chunks!

iconCache_Extract_1 = 196,608 bytes = 12 icons
    iconCache_Extract_2 = 196,608 bytes = 12 icons
    iconCache_Extract_3 = 211,456 bytes = 13 icons
    = 604,672 bytes = 37 icons
    Binary plist = 547 bytes = Bplist (directory of icon names)
    Total = 605,219 bytes

[email protected]k = 605,219 bytes

CHECK!!

So, to extract/import(recompile) the 7X iconCache .artwork file it requires the iconCache file to be hex edited into those 3 chunks AND corresponding JSON files that match the byte count, offsets and images/image data expected within the 7X iconCache file. The import process
    must be run three (3) times to effectively build the iconCache file THEN hex edited (copy & pasted) over the original 7X iconCache file
    at SPECIFIC byte offsets!

The main issue is the Binary plist (bplist) at the end of the iconCache .artwork files! IT MUST NOT BE OVERWRITTEN & MUST BE OBSERVED!!

That's all there is to it really, I have passed my findings on to Dave Peck who hopefully will update the iOS-extractor tool for it to work
    without all the unnecessary work.

This is why I haven't released the scripts/.artwork files as realistically this is a VERY LONG WINDED/BUTCHERED method!!

BUT Bytes are bytes right? The iOS doesn't know ANY different!

Thoughts??
    Last edited by Jato_BZ; 03-16-2014 at 12:30 AM.

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (03-16-2014), dsg (03-16-2014), iPAX (03-16-2014), King_O_Hill (03-16-2014), Matchstic (03-16-2014), medic88 (03-16-2014), Sk37cH (03-16-2014)

Thanks

wow! thanks for that Jato. i haven't really been following this thread for a while but with you making settings icons for so many themes these days , i thought i'd stop by again.
    the last time i was here, there was no tool to extract artwork files with a Mac . is that still true?
    Also , i know you said
    " This is why I haven't released the scripts/.artwork files as realistically this is a VERY LONG WINDED/BUTCHERED method!! "
    so what i get from your post is that there is still no easy way of getting the settings icons themed.
    Cheers

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to medic88 For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (03-16-2014), dsg (03-16-2014), King_O_Hill (03-16-2014)