+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Trying to create a SMS theme

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
I can't believe I'm having so much trouble finding info on doing this - I want to create a custom sms theme, one with both a custom background and SMS
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Trying to create a SMS theme
    I can't believe I'm having so much trouble finding info on doing this - I want to create a custom sms theme, one with both a custom background and SMS balloons/bubbles. Any info I find is based on old firmware and I don't want to waste my time trying stuff that probably isn't relevant anymore.
    People have no problem showing how to make your own background, or apply your own bubbles, but I can't find any info on putting them both together for an actual theme.
    I can apply my own background just fine. On their own, the bubbles I created work and show up - BUT when I try to put a background together with the bubbles (in the same file) they don't show up. When I try to apply them separately, I get this:

I dont understand why this is happening if on their own they work fine.

I'm using an Iphone 4 5.0.1, DiskAid for uploading my theme.
    Route:
    var/stash/ThemesD7YWjg/Rainbow SMS.theme/SMSBackground.png

var/stash/ThemesD7YWjg/SMS BS - Orange & Yellow.theme/Folders/ChatKit.framework/Balloon_1.png Balloon_2.png (separate files.)

Together as a theme I had the bubbles in:
    var/stash/ThemesD7YWjg/Rainbow SMS.theme/Bundles/ChatKit.framework/Balloon_1.png Balloon_2.png
    Balloons not working. Show'd up as in picture for awhile, then just stopped working, reverted to default bubble colours.

I've tried changing where the themes are in the winterboard list. I respring every time I change something. I've tried using both BiteSMS and default msging. my bubbles are 86x64 in size (also tried with 43x32). Background image is 480x480. I've tried adding that @2x thing to the balloons to some degree, but if the bubbles dont need it to show up properly on their own, Im not understanding why they'd need it in a full theme.

ugh, anyways, if someone can give me some help with this that would be greatly appreciated. I have some great backgrounds and balloons I want to make into themes. I'd be more than happy to share them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I know what you are saying I'm just going to make two separate themes and deal with it that way but how do you make customs bubbles colors and what size do they have to be? And what should I name them in the folders. Idk maybe a step by step guide to make my own bubbles and buttons like the camera button and such. I know it's a lot but I really want to know how to do this lol I know how to basically do everything else but this. Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lexuz View Post
    I can't believe I'm having so much trouble finding info on doing this - I want to create a custom sms theme, one with both a custom background and SMS balloons/bubbles. Any info I find is based on old firmware and I don't want to waste my time trying stuff that probably isn't relevant anymore.
    People have no problem showing how to make your own background, or apply your own bubbles, but I can't find any info on putting them both together for an actual theme.
    I can apply my own background just fine. On their own, the bubbles I created work and show up - BUT when I try to put a background together with the bubbles (in the same file) they don't show up. When I try to apply them separately, I get this:

Route:

var/stash/ThemesD7YWjg/SMS BS - Orange & Yellow.theme/Folders/ChatKit.framework/Balloon_1.png Balloon_2.png (separate files.)

var/stash/ThemesD7YWjg/Rainbow SMS.theme/Bundles/ChatKit.framework/Balloon_1.png Balloon_2.png
    Balloons not working. Show'd up as in picture for awhile, then just stopped working, reverted to default bubble colours.

I've tried changing where the themes are in the winterboard list. I respring every time I change something. I've tried using both BiteSMS and default msging. my bubbles are 86x64 in size (also tried with 43x32). Background image is 480x480. I've tried adding that @2x thing to the balloons to some degree, but if the bubbles dont need it to show up properly on their own, Im not understanding why they'd need it in a full theme.

ugh, anyways, if someone can give me some help with this that would be greatly appreciated. I have some great backgrounds and balloons I want to make into themes. I'd be more than happy to share them.
    var/stash/ThemesD7YWjg/Rainbow SMS.theme/Bundles/com.apple.chatkit/Balloon_1.png, Balloon_2.png, etc
    And
    SMSBackground.png goes in var/stash/ThemesD7YWjg/Rainbow SMS.theme

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Red face @2x
    You have to rename the Balloon files to [email protected] and [email protected] and make sure they are 86x64 and in PNG format.

Quote Originally Posted by lexuz View Post

Route:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,316 Times in 1,885 Posts

The iOS resizes or stretches pngs for optimization and to stop the theming ability. You need to compare the original files. Trial & error really. Try a bigger image, if it gets resized it might not be possible. Apple certainly doesn't want ppl poking around in their iOS. You just have to work in with it.
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor