Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A primer on making skins?

Talking A primer on making skins?
    I am in the process of modding my Iphone, and I have to say I LOVE the site. I am pretty skilled with photoshop, yet I just jumped into this a few hours ago and did my first ringtone, Numa Numa of course.

So, here is what I was wondering, could someone put up a quick guide (I have seen bits and pieces) as to the exact dimensions of the buttons, dpi, etc, the directory list, the original buttons (saw them somewhere) and say, a sample dock image, and carrier image.

I like the Iphonica Photoshop kit, however you do need to get rid of that background and go transparent. I figure that once that "starter" info is up, you will start seeing some really cool skins.

One thing.. Do the images have to be rounded? I would assume not. I figure I could get highly creative here with different shapes or no defined shape instead of having all the same style of buttons. Anyways, I am getting overly excited. I might also dig in and see if I can get the background to change, but if someone knows how, or which files does it, that would be cool, could almost make a background that fits in with the buttons seamlessly, as long as it doesn't tile.

Big thing, is, sample dock image? and file location? Nevermind, the doc images appeared in another post.

Cheers!
    Last edited by atlantian2004; 07-17-2007 at 10:37 PM.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,226 Posts

So far haven't figured out how to change the background. We have a skinning guide here, and a carrier change guide here. The icons do not have to be rounded, and the dock is controlled by an image called SBDockBG2.png and is 320x91. Any DPI will do. The iPhone screen can handle 160ppi.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks for the info, I was referring to a little more on the button creation process. I think I have it all figured out now, but took a few hours of playing. The guides are mostly focused on installing buttons, not really making them, could be a useful resource. Well, let me see what I can come up with Too many ideas flying through my head, so slightly out of it

Just Grab someone elses buttons, make yours over.. delete your background layer and save over them =) Theres an easy guide and theres several posts out there.
    Loring Studios Graphic Design Company | Serving the world, one cool job at a time.
    Graphic Design | Vehicle Wraps | Website Design | Large Format Printing

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Nice, if you do make up a guide on it, you can easily post it to our Wiki section, just navigate to http://www.modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/YourDesiredPageName to create the page, and press edit. Then link here or wherever to let us know you've completed it! Anyone can make new Wiki pages...

I might just write my own guide and post it I am playing with the file system right now and seeing what I can change. Just going over an image is easy, I want to get a little creative with non-standard buttons. I'll do a write up once I get my phone looking good.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks

Nice, looking forward to it!

Will a standard .png do? or Do we need to add any extra header info like the stock icons have? And if so, how would we go about doing that? Sorry if this is all noobish, i work in design and i'm not much of a programmer.

standard .png just mess around with it. if you have something like 60x60 it will do fine for buttons i think. you dont need any speacial info

previously known as amalone87
    Thanks

Do I need to follow this guide if I am using a PC. I wish I could find guides like that for PC instead of Mac.

Once you have done the main jailbreakin then you dont have to follow any guide. Just let your mind flow free. You can use any kinda of picture editor and just make sure you save it as png. If you cant save it as that ill post a free converter i use for pc.