+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Customizing app icons, but doesn't change on springboard...

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
I've been searching online for hours and finally am just going to ask for help. I have an AT&T iPhone 4 running on iOS 4.3.3, jailbroken with Redsn0w. I'm trying
    Thanks
    Question Customizing app icons, but doesn't change on springboard...
    I've been searching online for hours and finally am just going to ask for help.

I have an AT&T iPhone 4 running on iOS 4.3.3, jailbroken with Redsn0w. I'm trying to customize three app icons: Phone, GoogleVoice, and Mercury (browser app). Phone is the stock app, and GoogleVoice and Mercury are downloaded from the App Store. I'm only changing the colors of icons.

I first copied the "icon.png" and Icon.png" (respectively) from their root folders via DiskAid. I then used FixPngWindows to convert them into readable .png files. I edited them in Photoshop CS3 and saved them (still .png files).

I then renamed them to match the exact name from the root directory (again, "icon.png" or Icon.png" respectively). I then dragged the new icons into their individual directories, shut down DiskAid, then rebooted my iPhone.

I have tried not shutting down DiskAid, doing just a respring, and rebooting, all in the different combinations I could think of, but the icons still do not change on the springboard.

Do I need to do something else here? I admit, I've never done any designing or modding other than what I download through Cydia, so I'm new to this, learning what I can from online forums like this one.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Try deleting the icon cache file and then respring: /var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.IconCache
    Last edited by bpdunsta; 06-12-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdunsta View Post
    Try deleting the icon cache file and then respring: /var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.IconCache
    Actually, I finally got it. Apparently, there are two icon files (though sometimes more). They all have to be updated. On the Phone app, there is an "icon.png" and an "[email protected]", and I was only changing the first one. Seems to work now.