+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Glasklart Icon Replacment Question (IMailG)

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
I was wondering if I could copy the icon used for the default Mail.app and use it to replace the icon for IMailG. I cannot find where IMailG's stuff is
    Thanks
    Default Glasklart Icon Replacment Question (IMailG)
    I was wondering if I could copy the icon used for the default Mail.app and use it to replace the icon for IMailG.

I cannot find where IMailG's stuff is stored within the file system.

Anyone have an idea? Can I do this using iFile?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes you can. Default app location in IOS 4.3x is:

iTunes Apps: /private/var/mobile/Applications

Cydia Apps: /private/var/stash/Applications (no crazy HEX string folders here - folder are straight app names. You can skip step #2 and go right here and find your App.

Here's how you would do the an iTunes app.
    Make sure you have Erica's Utilities installed (from Cydia) to get plutils on your phone.
    1. SSH to your phone
    2. Find the location of the app with this command (I'll do skype):
      -iPhone-4:~ root# find / -name Skype*.app
      Result: /private/var/mobile/Applications/9F99A74D-6847-43FC-AA08-C4B90E76A5C4/Skype.app
    3. The bundle identifier and the name of the icon the app is expecting is in Info.plist in the folder you just found (Skype.app IS a folder!)

Run:
      -iPhone-4:~ root# plutil /private/var/mobile/Applications/9F99A74D-6847-43FC-AA08-C4B90E76A5C4/Skype.app/Info.plist
      Look for:
      CFBundleIconFile = "ApplicationIcon_57x57.png"
      CFBundleIconFiles = (
      "ApplicationIcon_29x29.png",
      "[email protected]",
      "ApplicationIcon_50x50.png",
      "ApplicationIcon_57x57.png",
      "[email protected]",
      "ApplicationIcon_72x72.png"

and
      CFBundleIdentifier = com.skype.skype"
      Make note of these.
      -
    4. Rename your icon to match the default icon specified by the CFBundleIconFile section. It's usually the default [email protected] or Icon.png for non-retina, but sometimes (as you can see) they're not. These naming exceptions are the biggest reason some icons don't work out of the box. In this case we would rename our HD icon to "ApplicationIcon_57x57.png." Alternately you could do all of the icons listed in "CFBundleIconFiles" at different resolutions, using the highest as your HD app (the 72x72 is just part of the filename; this is not a resolution restriction. You can make it 114X114px and it will still work. The filename just has to match. If you change or add to the Info.plist to match what you have instead, chances are when the app updates you'll have to do this all again if they made changes.
    5. Create a folder that matches the CFBundleIdentifier (com.skype.skype)
    6. Put your newly named icon(s) into the bundle folder you just created
    7. Transfer the directory containing your new icon into the "Bundles" folder of your current theme on your phone (located in /Themes)
    8. Respring (sometimes you actually have to REBOOT - new to 4.3.3 ).

That should do it. Let me know if you need any clarification. You should be able to follow these instructions roundabout to change/set icons for any app with this way in IOS 4.2+. I've only run into a problem with an older app that did not specify any icons in the plist file and the default springboard names would not work either. That app got deleted
    Last edited by skinned; 05-26-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Emphasis on an identifier.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Additional Help
    I tried doing all of those instructions....still a no go for me. For instance I started with 100 push ups, being at the top of my list, read what followed after CFBundle Identifier, went into the "bundles" folder. There was a folder already with that name, so at first I didn't create a folder, just used the one there. Replaced my .png with the one there (exact name), resprung - nothing. So then I created a new folder, same name and replaced it. Nothing. I am deleting the old .png, right? Funny thing is, even after I deleted it and replaced it with the glasklart icon, the original still appears. So I'm curious if I'm replacing it in the correct file. I went to var/stash/glasklart icon theme/bundles. Thanx in advance

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skinned View Post
    Yes you can. Default app location in IOS 4.3x is:

iTunes Apps: /private/var/mobile/Applications

Cydia Apps: /private/var/stash/Applications (no crazy HEX string folders here - folder are straight app names. You can skip step #2 and go right here and find your App.

Here's how you would do the an iTunes app.
    Make sure you have Erica's Utilities installed (from Cydia) to get plutils on your phone.
    1. SSH to your phone
    2. Find the location of the app with this command (I'll do skype):
      -iPhone-4:~ root# find / -name Skype*.app
      Result: /private/var/mobile/Applications/9F99A74D-6847-43FC-AA08-C4B90E76A5C4/Skype.app
    3. The bundle identifier and the name of the icon the app is expecting is in Info.plist in the folder you just found (Skype.app IS a folder!)

Run:
      -iPhone-4:~ root# plutil /private/var/mobile/Applications/9F99A74D-6847-43FC-AA08-C4B90E76A5C4/Skype.app/Info.plist
      Look for:
      CFBundleIconFile = "ApplicationIcon_57x57.png"
      CFBundleIconFiles = (
      "ApplicationIcon_29x29.png",
      "[email protected]",
      "ApplicationIcon_50x50.png",
      "ApplicationIcon_57x57.png",
      "[email protected]",
      "ApplicationIcon_72x72.png"

and
      CFBundleIdentifier = com.skype.skype"
      Make note of these.
      -
    4. Rename your icon to match the default icon specified by the CFBundleIconFile section. It's usually the default [email protected] or Icon.png for non-retina, but sometimes (as you can see) they're not. These naming exceptions are the biggest reason some icons don't work out of the box. In this case we would rename our HD icon to "ApplicationIcon_57x57.png." Alternately you could do all of the icons listed in "CFBundleIconFiles" at different resolutions, using the highest as your HD app (the 72x72 is just part of the filename; this is not a resolution restriction. You can make it 114X114px and it will still work. The filename just has to match. If you change or add to the Info.plist to match what you have instead, chances are when the app updates you'll have to do this all again if they made changes.
    5. Create a folder that matches the CFBundleIdentifier (com.skype.skype)
    6. Put your newly named icon(s) into the bundle folder you just created
    7. Transfer the directory containing your new icon into the "Bundles" folder of your current theme on your phone (located in /Themes)
    8. Respring (sometimes you actually have to REBOOT - new to 4.3.3 ).

That should do it. Let me know if you need any clarification. You should be able to follow these instructions roundabout to change/set icons for any app with this way in IOS 4.2+. I've only run into a problem with an older app that did not specify any icons in the plist file and the default springboard names would not work either. That app got deleted
    Thanks bud,

I finally got around to doing this and it worked fine with one exception. I am not sure where the problem lies here but the icon is displaying with lines through it.

The icon is the dock is the MobileMail.app, the icon on the springboard is the iGmail.app.

I found a few different icons of different sizes from the MobileMail.app and tried to place them all in the bundle folder in the correct identifier but they all display like this:

Any thoughts?

Green Apple
    Thanks

try rename these files, [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected] to something like these
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

to find those files go to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileIcons.framework/..here.., when you finish
    open winterboard, reselect your icon package and respring

i used this theme before and everything was ok, i created my own icons for cydia apps using photoshop template included in this theme

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by astrolabe View Post
    try rename these files, [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected] to something like these
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

to find those files go to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileIcons.framework/..here.., when you finish
    open winterboard, reselect your icon package and respring

i used this theme before and everything was ok, i created my own icons for cydia apps using photoshop template included in this theme
    [email protected] was already renamed to [email protected] so I left that alone.
    [email protected] renamed to [email protected] did nothing.
    [email protected] renamed to AppIconShadow@2xbac[email protected] removed the shadow from all my AppStore Apps.

This only made the iMailG icon slightly better, you can still notice some lines through it.