Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Too many paid themes will be the death of ModMyi

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,808 Times in 1,228 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Nicoll View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are you talking about traffic for the whole site or can you pinpoint traffic in specific threads? Just seems to me the iPhone4 theme release thread has been real quiet the last 3 months or so.
    If you mean that specific forum (iPhone 4 New Skins / Themes Launches), no I'm not referring to that - I'm referring to ModMyi.com overall traffic.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

Ian Nicoll (04-08-2011)

I've just read this entire thread and it has enlightened me in some ares and angered me in others.

@Ian. I have read many of your posts/threads in the past and you have helped me out big time, with my theme (yet to be released) and other general stuff. And if it wasn't for the people like you on here, people like me would still be left clueless. And for that, I thank you. And I take my hat off to you and fellow members, who take time out of their day to help others. That's why when I read a thread and I think I know the answer or a possible fix, then I would help that person.

As for paying for a theme, if someone thinks that making a theme will only take a day or two, then they are very much so mistaken (as I was soon to learn). At first, I thought only a mug would pay for a theme. So I started to make my own theme. And how much of a mug was I. It's bloody hard to make a theme from scratch. And I mean a proper "made from scratch" theme (not one of these themes that have been made up from 5-10 different themes put together to look like a new theme). A lot of theme makers and amateur theme makers (like me), have jobs, wifes, kids and a life to lead. So paying a few $ for a theme, that might have taken a few months to make, isn't such a big deal for me. Why, millions of people wouldn't batter an eyelid, paying $5+ for a small cup of coffee, only to pee it out a few hours later. So why do people complain about paying $1-3 for a theme thats taken moths to make and that they can keep forever. Makes no sense to me.

But hay...back on topic, this forum is not just for themes. Themes are just a byproduct of this forum. And as any forum, it will have it's good months and it's bad months.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,721 Times in 4,129 Posts

@ oldgit9,

Hi bud, please read post 137 above. I just feel it's getting out of control, and very quickly. If it keeps going like this it will soon be "send me a donation and I will tell you the answer to your question"! People are just getting greedy and I believe there should be some sort of guideline.

"If it's not broken, I'll fix it till it is"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 870 Posts

@ oldgit9,

Hi bud, please read post 137 above. I just feel it's getting out of control, and very quickly. If it keeps going like this it will soon be "send me a donation and I will tell you the answer to your question"! People are just getting greedy and I believe there should be some sort of guideline.
    DONATION, contracts. The act by which the owner of a thing, voluntarily transfers the title and possession of the same, from himself to another person, without any consideration; a gift. (q.v.) 2. A donation is never perfected until it is has been accepted, for the acceptance (q.v.) is requisite to make the donation complete. Vide Assent, and Ayl. Pand. tit. 9 Clef des Lois Rom. h.t.

Source: Bouvier's Law Dictionary, Revised 6th Ed (1856)

Donation \Do*na"tion\, n. [L. donatio; cf. F. donation.]

1. The act of giving or bestowing; a grant. [1913 Webster]

After donation there is an absolute change and alienation of the property of the thing given. --South. [1913 Webster]

2. That which is given as a present; that which is transferred to another gratuitously; a gift. [1913 Webster]

And some donation freely to estate On the bless'd lovers. --Shak. [1913 Webster]

3. (Law) The act or contract by which a person voluntarily transfers the title to a thing of which be is the owner, from himself to another, without any consideration, as a free gift. --Bouvier. [1913 Webster]

Donation party, a party assembled at the house of some one, as of a clergyman, each one bringing some present. [U.S.]

--Bartlett.

Syn: Gift; present; benefaction; grant. See Gift. [1913 Webster]

Source: The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48

60 Moby Thesaurus words for "donation": accommodation, accordance, aid, allotment, allowance, alms, alms fee, appropriation, assistance, award, awarding, benefaction, beneficence, bequest, bestowal, bestowment, charity, collection, communication, concession, conferment, conferral, contribution, deliverance, delivery, dole, donative, endowment, furnishment, gift, gifting, giving, grant, granting, handout, help, impartation, impartment, investiture, largesse, liberality, offer, offering, offertory, philanthropy, pittance, present, presentation, presentment, provision, ration, relief, subscription, subsidy, subvention, supplying, surrender, tithe, votive offering, vouchsafement

Source: Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0

donation

noun

1: a voluntary gift (as of money or service or ideas) made to some worthwhile cause [syn: contribution]
    2: act of giving in common with others for a common purpose especially to a charity [syn: contribution]
    Source: WordNet (r) 2.0

Donation \Do*na"tion\, n. [L. donatio; cf. F. donation.]

1. The act of giving or bestowing; a grant.

After donation there an absolute change and alienation of the property of the thing given. --South.

2. That which is given as a present; that which is transferred to another gratuitously; a gift.

And some donation freely to estate On the bless'd lovers. --Shak.

3. (Law) The act or contract by which a person voluntarily transfers the title to a thing of which be is the owner, from himself to another, without any consideration, as a free gift. --Bouvier.

Donation party, a party assembled at the house of some one, as of a clergyman, each one bringing some present. [U.S.]

--Bartlett.

Syn: Gift; present; benefaction; grant. See Gift.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

@ian
    the thought of paying for information, disgusts me and goes against everything that i stand for. i've personally not seen anyone on here demanding a donation for information, and if i did/do, then i would definitely report them to the admin and get them banned.

i have personal experience from helping people on different forums. i started off as a noob on a popular PSP forum. and as i gathered information and found out new ways of doing things, i posted my findings and helped people. and one of my PSP guides (on a forum that i am not a member of staff on) has had well over 20,000 views and was stickied within days of posting it. and what did i get for doing that, the satisfaction that i helped someone is payment for me.

to cut the long story short, i ended up as a super moderator within 18 months. which i held for a year or so. but because of work and family commitments, i turned down the admin position that i have been offered a number of times. the same story can go with on two lesser known warez sites.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to oldgit9 For This Useful Post:

Ian Nicoll (04-09-2011)

i agree, almost every theme i see i download from other 'unnamed sources' to try before i buy, a free trial or sample would be great, i think itl stop people pirating less, not completely tho!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It's probably better for you to not openly say you're stealing paid themes from repos that support piracy. Given the benefit of the doubt, surely you're just "trying them out" but how many people really try, like, and go buy when you could just keep the one you were "trying out?"

Anyhow, here on MMi we like to support our developers and themers. If they would like to charge they have a right to, whether we agree or not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    It's probably better for you to not openly say you're stealing paid themes from repos that support piracy. Given the benefit of the doubt, surely you're just "trying them out" but how many people really try, like, and go buy when you could just keep the one you were "trying out?"

Anyhow, here on MMi we like to support our developers and themers. If they would like to charge they have a right to, whether we agree or not.
    Not trying to get myself in trouble but then why the use of the "DONATION" word? They should go and say my "FEE" is for the mod i did... I'm in theming a lot! and i see what Ian is referring too... a least on my personal situation this is like my hobby! and doesn't hurt my wallet give couple bucks here and there... but some of them sometimes go to far! again in my personal situation the Theme-rs and Mods are been nice to share and let me decide if i think their work deserve a reward...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to monchy36 For This Useful Post:

bombmom (04-10-2011)

Thanks

Right. I very much so agree with you. I believe donate isn't the right word either, it technically is a fee.

I just don't agree with pirating it and announcing it here on MMi where we don't condone piracy.

Thanks

I was not referring my comment for the person above... Just a add on to Ian thread... I know very well the rules of the site!

Thanks

Well you quoted me so I was assuming your response was somehow in reference to it.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,055 Times in 6,143 Posts

Man, I was gone all weekend and missed a good discussion here, wow.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,721 Times in 4,129 Posts

So, trying to get back on subject, when any of you moderators here see all the paid mods and ports does it not get to you a little? How about if a moderator posts a sticky in the theme release thread like a "Kindly Requested Guideline" ?
    You may not be able to stop everyone but what if this is just the tip of the iceberg? What if soon, every school kid see's the dollar sign here, and the theme release threads become nothing more than kids trying to make a buck!

If a moderator posts a sticky, carefully and gently worded, with some sort of guideline on charging for their work, like the apprenticeship example mentioned a few times here, it might keep things under control.

Just an idea.

Please don't tell me that it's none of your business what people do here, it IS your business and I'm not asking you to order newcomers what to do, just a guideline to make them think about it and try to keep the MMi theme release thread a happy, fair and sharing place.

The kids need guidance from you guys/girls, believe me, with 9 kids I know this to be true!
    So how about it? Even Cody agrees that mods and ports (which it basically the same as a mod) should not be paid so why doesn't anyone speak up? Sometime the boat needs to be rocked.

"If it's not broken, I'll fix it till it is"

Thanks

WOW! Ian! 9 kids! and i tough having 4 was a lot! back to the topic! I think is going to be a little hard even for the moderators to get this back on track... Is been like this for a wile and stray the branch of the tree when is already bent is a little hard... NOT Impossible! but is going to take time and effort from everybody that runs the site and understanding and acceptances from the mods... A least we have a one to set the sample! you are one of the best mods and never ask a dime for your work! Thank You!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to monchy36 For This Useful Post:

Ian Nicoll (04-11-2011)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,808 Times in 1,228 Posts

So how about it? Even Cody agrees that mods and ports (which it basically the same as a mod) should not be paid so why doesn't anyone speak up? Sometime the boat needs to be rocked.
    Sure, write it up and link me.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

I disagree almost completely. You should donate to a themer if they put their time and effort into doing anything special for you.

Just because someone has the ability to create works of art, they certainly don't have a responsibility to cater to the public's whim.

I hate it when entitlement culture rears it's head. Learn to give a little to get a little, not just take a little because only a little is lost. And I'm certainly going to charge more than a dollar for a complete HD theme.

I don't know much about DreamBoard, or who's charging to port what - but if someone is taking up their time and skill on a task another doesn't want to do, then PAY THEM.
    Last edited by Jahooba; 04-10-2011 at 11:15 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678