+ Reply
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Too many paid themes will be the death of ModMyi

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Originally Posted by Papahug As someone with no experience or talent in modding or creating themes I thoroughly enjoy all the work and dedication theme builders show to the community.
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Papahug View Post
    As someone with no experience or talent in modding or creating themes I thoroughly enjoy all the work and dedication theme builders show to the community. I have learned a ton from modmyi as well as other sites and only wish I had the talent you all have.

With that being said the only comment I have is that as someone who purchases paid themes often it kinda sucks when the creator promises additional mods and updates only to disappear or start other themes. this isn't a knock against anyone, but I do hope that when theme creators promise additional pieces to their masterpieces they deliver.

I am exceptionally grateful to all the communities and their respective members. Due to you all I have not only learned a ton, but also am quite envious of my friends.
    I also dont have the talent that theme builders have if I did I would love to help them out and help build the theme. It takes alot to learn photoshop its not that easy to learn. Also I dont like when mods are promised but never come atleast get a start to see rather they will be able to release that mod. I would like to see people that mod themes and come up with other widgets , color schemes , etc... send them to the theme creator they could release that to the community cause most are ideas others have had but dont have the ability to create it. I would honestly love to work alongside a theme creator and learn how to theme create widgets etc..

The community here has divided and I honestly dont see much of a community here anymore.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryry506 For This Useful Post:

Itsmerobertg (04-06-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 870 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Them3this View Post
    Being a member of db1 I know exactly how you all feel. We had to create our own website to prevent other from pirating. There are only 18 of us on dbarteam.net. And not one of our private themes have been leaked. I know this isn't a possibility here. But more of a principle idea. I agree with the creator of the thread. Themes shouldn't be forced to be paid for. In my opinion, if you offer it free with the option to donate, you'll prob get just as much cash as you would making it a paid theme. Think about it, you charge three dollars for a theme, it's cracked and free on insanelyi the next day, if your forcing me to pay 3$ for a theme that I might think is worth 1$ of course I'm going to download the free one. However if you offered it to me free, I would donate that dollar because that's what I feel it's worth. I don't wanna rant, but I could spend months working on a theme, that doesn't mean it's good, let your users decide. The donations you receive will be from those who do appreciate the work, and to be honest, those are the only customers you should care about. They will be the ones helping with support in the thread and posting mods. Most importantly they will be the ones donating for your next theme too, out of respect.
    I can't say that better!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to monchy36 For This Useful Post:

bombmom (04-06-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Maybe I'm getting too caught up in the title. Because of too many paid themes it's going to be "the death of MMi"? First of all MMi is just a repo and Kyle/Cody are kind enough to host their packages. If we didn't host them you'd see them pop up on BigBoss or somewhere else.. so saying the host has any fault doesn't make sense. Secondly there are literally thousands of free themes available now. No one is twisting your arm to buy anything. There are so many choices out there these days I choose to have my phone bone stock most of the time lol. Bottom line is people are scooping up these themes and paying $1-$3 for them with no problem. Personally I get bored with any theme after a couple weeks no matter how cool it is so I just don't buy them anymore. I piece together 3 or 4 free themes and make a hybrid most of the time.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

bombmom (04-06-2011), Itsmerobertg (04-06-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 870 Posts

I would rather receive less money from people who actually care that I put the time in, then make 50$ extra bucks from people that could careless about the work I put in. Also, I doubt many paid themes get donations after the first month. You have your rush at release time, but before long, it's cracked and free. And the donations stop. Free themes will receive donations as long as thief around. I just donated someone 5$ the other day for a free theme that was over a year old. Again, this isn't about money, it's about principle. I don't make themes to buy my new caddy, I make them to hopefully improve another users iPhone experience. If I can do that I'm happy, and if I make some money on the side, so be it. It's certainly not my main concern.
    "It's about principle and improve users iPhone experience!" I really like how this guy express himself! That's bottom line! That's why i miss Customize so much! That app make you a Theme Creator you use to open the app choose every part of your personal Theme idea and done! Dreamboard looks like a great option for people with low knowledge but all this "Donations" make people stay away from it... Ian! agree 100%! MMI is not the same anymore...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to monchy36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

What do you mean "MMi is not the same anymore"? Themes are just a VERY small portion of this forum.... I'd venture to say maybe 5% of topics? I've been modding this community for a while now and I think MMi is pretty much the same lol... probably b/c I ignore most of the theme threads. The bulk of the forum and why it was founded is still jailbreaking and unlocking. What's so different?!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

But it's kinda our fault. Well..when theming first began , I even set up a "worst theme" thread because there was a lot of garbage.....people just cropping bakgrounds and using one icon in different colors for icons...then pro themers started charging to be on top of the flooded cydia...this led to everyone saying , hey....I can charge for this? And here we are now.
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

barovia (04-06-2011), Itsmerobertg (04-06-2011)

Thanks

People can charge for anything they want. Prime example... people selling paper clips on ebay for $1 as SIM card removal tools lol. If people are stupid enough to shell out the money then people are going to sell their crappy products. Blame the consumer in the this case.. not the messenger.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Itsmerobertg (04-06-2011), z3r01 (04-06-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    People can charge for anything they want. Prime example... people selling paper clips on ebay for $1 as SIM card removal tools lol. If people are stupid enough to shell out the money then people are going to sell their crappy products. Blame the consumer in the this case.. not the messenger.
    win :P

Thanks

I want one of those lol
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

17. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (04-06-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CCoops11 View Post
    I would love to start making my own themes, just as soon as I get a decent computer. Until that day, I spend most of my time browsing MMi, searching for great looking themes. While a great deal of them are well put together themes, most of them are not complete. A very small amount of themes are complete themes, and it's this small amount that i'm willing to pay for. Unfortunately, almost all themes seem to require payment, complete or not and to be honest, that deters me from wanting to purchase any themes at all. If one themer can sloppily throw together a theme, while another spends weeks, or months on his/hers, why should I pay them both the same? If I absolutely love a theme, i'd rather donate $10.00 to the themer, rather than be forced to pay $2.49.
    call me a cynic, but i don't buy this

screenshot one $10 donation you've ever given for a non paid theme, and i will gladly give you a personal copy of Rain, free of charge (simply because that would make you really awesome)

I really do feel all the love, It's just like this: I spent a solid couple days on Rain. I only want a dollar for it. It's my testing the waters to see if it's worth dropping a real time investment, (a few weeks) on my next Theme; really get into it.

Don't forget your not just paying for a theme. The theme makers in this forum are also giving out 100% of the good tech support, and have written every tutorial on how to make simple things work.

Anyway, i hope i didn't come off to negative in this post; in the vast majority of my experiences here, the community has been nothing but nice and helpful.
    My iPhone 4 Mod Flickr Stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54754025@N07/

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseDegenerate For This Useful Post:

Ian Nicoll (04-06-2011), Itsmerobertg (04-06-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 1,457 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JesseDegenerate View Post

screenshot one $10 donation you've ever given for a non paid theme, and i will gladly give you a personal copy of Rain, free of charge (simply because that would make you really awesome)

I really do feel all the love, It's just like this: I spent a solid couple days on Rain. I only want a dollar for it. It's my testing the waters to see if it's worth dropping a real time investment, (a few weeks) on my next Theme; really get into it.

Don't forget your not just paying for a theme. The theme makers in this forum are also giving out 100% of the good tech support, and have written every tutorial on how to make simple things work.

Anyway, i hope i didn't come off to negative in this post; in the vast majority of my experiences here, the community has been nothing but nice and helpful.
    You dont take a bet like that because I have paid $10 to a themer for the work involved.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bombmom For This Useful Post:

Ian Nicoll (04-06-2011), Itsmerobertg (04-06-2011), JesseDegenerate (04-06-2011), Joserrrr (04-06-2011), Papahug (04-06-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,027 Posts

I would say those two situations are pretty different. Themes are exclusive, paperclips can be bought anywhere for cheap. Customers will shop around and pay what they think is worth it for the paper-clip when they find a box at a reasonable price. Now if only one company made paper-clips and they set the price at 4$ a peice. Does that mean we should pay that much? No, pay what it's worth. Hence why monopolies are illegal.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Them3this For This Useful Post:

Ian Nicoll (04-06-2011), Itsmerobertg (04-06-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JesseDegenerate View Post

screenshot one $10 donation you've ever given for a non paid theme, and i will gladly give you a personal copy of Rain, free of charge (simply because that would make you really awesome).
    How about this. When I get paid (this Monday) I'll donate $10 to a theme of your choice, and you don't have to do anything, just cause I'm in a good mood today.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CCoops11 View Post
    How about this. When I get paid (this Monday) I'll donate $10 to a theme of your choice, and you don't have to do anything, just cause I'm in a good mood today.
    It will make me smile, and i'll happily send you a copy of Rain free anyway; however i won't choose for you, (as that could be far to self serving) a deserving dev however; will be thrilled.

thanks tho, if this actually happens, you will have restored my faith in humanity by a few % points

Thanks

^--- would be thrilled :P

Thanks

Wow... you took my example WAY too literally. The reason that MMi (and ever other repo!!) are flooded with paid themes and tweaks is because PEOPLE PAY FOR THEM. These products (themes) are market driven just like anything else. If people stop buying them the products fail and stop being produced. The OP is pointing the finger at MMi rather than at the general public which is who is fueling the fire.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,027 Posts

Jesse I'll toss you ten bucks right now for rain lol

I feel you bro. Wasn't trying to argue.
    Last edited by Them3this; 04-06-2011 at 02:12 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Them3this For This Useful Post:

JesseDegenerate (04-06-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Wow... you took my example WAY too literally. The reason that MMi (and ever other repo!!) are flooded with paid themes and tweaks is because PEOPLE PAY FOR THEM. These products (themes) are market driven just like anything else. If people stop buying them the products fail and stop being produced. The OP is pointing the finger at MMi rather than at the general public which is who is fueling the fire.

you people?

/thought the thread could use a lighten up

Jesse I'll toss you ten bucks right now for rain lol
    lol I promise i will know how i'm going to release it tomorrow at the latest.
    Last edited by JesseDegenerate; 04-06-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

31. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseDegenerate For This Useful Post:

Waverley73 (04-06-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,302 Times in 480 Posts

@Ian I think alot of it has to do with the present financial climate we are in. Everyone is just trying to make more anyway they can. I haven't been a member here for too long bit the time I've been here I have noticed a spike in donation requests. Just the other day I saw on a thread someone asking for help with the new slider on the lockscreen dilemma, someone responded I have a fix for that donate and I'll show ya. That's just BS. Asking for donations to assist someone. As for themes I'm more than willing to pay for the work and effort put into them. And btw I think I have a good idea where your mental finger is pointing :P

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Q_bAn_b For This Useful Post:

Ian Nicoll (04-06-2011), stratnik (04-07-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 25,618 Times in 4,065 Posts

I think Ian was talking more about the "theme release" section of MMI. At least thats what I read into it.

I just want to point out that IMO the community here is fantastic. Paid theme or free... The support and contribution shown in most if not all threads I read is pretty inspiring.

When ever you get this many apples together you sure to find a bad one, but for the most part it's rock solid.

Just saying...

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zausser For This Useful Post:

88hurst (04-06-2011), Ian Nicoll (04-06-2011), stratnik (04-07-2011)