+ Reply
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Too many paid themes will be the death of ModMyi

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Originally Posted by decke Agreed. Main reason I've been working on a free theme as well. One thing I see as an issue when it comes to free themes is
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by decke View Post
    Agreed. Main reason I've been working on a free theme as well.

One thing I see as an issue when it comes to free themes is that there are many ungrateful people and they can careless how many hours or days the creator has put into the theme and they aren't capable of a small donation.

Just few days ago I read on twitter someone(don't remember name) saying how he released his theme for free and got little to no donations at all. I think that's very unfair, about 80% of those who visit this site or any other site for themes and very much capable of spending $1-$3 on a theme. Remember, you bought at iDevice for at least $200 and most likely pay another $100 a month...

And those who are minors and can't pay. Have you seen how big the list of themes is on Cydia that are free? Take a look, you'd be surprised. Not to mention that just about every themer give out their creations for free if you ask them.

As for piracy, well, that just won't stop.
    full of common sense.

As for piracy not stopping, i totally agree, however when we see someone here just giving away other people's work one forum away? Do we just turn a blind eye?
    My iPhone 4 Mod Flickr Stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54754025@N07/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JesseDegenerate For This Useful Post:

decke (04-06-2011), Ian Nicoll (04-06-2011), scarflaire (04-06-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,557 Times in 2,034 Posts

i love being able to create themes for myself and the community. that being said my wife would not let me spend as much time in the office working on themes if i were not making any money doing theme. who knows what the future holds in theme creation i guess we will all have to wait and see.
    I'll smoke it with ya bro, we'll go to the loony bin together. I don't give a ****!
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=jfriends4438%40gmai  l%2ecom&lc=US&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsB  F%3abtn_donateCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHosted

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Truckinlow For This Useful Post:

decke (04-06-2011), giang4loan (04-06-2011), Ian Nicoll (04-06-2011), Itsmerobertg (04-06-2011), Pusai (04-06-2011)

Thanks

I'll have to agree with you on that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to decke For This Useful Post:

Itsmerobertg (04-06-2011)

From Scotland, live in Philippines, German company, work worldwide, currently in Sri Lanka.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,140 Times in 3,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truckinlow View Post
    i love being able to create themes for myself and the community. that being said my wife would not let me spend as much time in the office working on themes if i were not making any money doing theme. who knows what the future holds in theme creation i guess we will all have to wait and see.
    LOL... I like your honesty buddy.

"If it's not broken, I'll fix it till it is" :p

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Nicoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JesseDegenerate View Post
    full of common sense.

As for piracy not stopping, i totally agree, however when we see someone here just giving away other people's work one forum away? Do we just turn a blind eye?
    No, I don't think we should ignore it but we can't stop it, simply cannot. The most we could do is offer a "lite" version and encourage users to use that but even then there will always be that one guy who will wanna give the full version for free and those who will download it from them. Because as I stated above, there are many ungrateful people.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to decke For This Useful Post:

deathbybunnies6 (04-06-2011), giang4loan (04-06-2011), Ian Nicoll (04-06-2011), Itsmerobertg (04-06-2011)

Thanks

you could start by IP banning VaioOSX since he links to the same twitter on both his insanely account and his modmyi account, and is the thread creator for the "whatever theme you want" threads.
    @darkpunk too!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,382 Times in 1,417 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by littlelisa63 View Post
    I agree but also disagree because I could never make a theme and I am useless at Photoshop and havnt got the talent you guys have,but I also know I've spent loads on buying themes if I like a theme I'll buy it straight away and sometimes everything isn't in the package so I won't use it,I am very willing to pay for a theme that is totally complete as there has been a lot of hard work done but sometimes it would be nice to have a theme that is cheaper or free.
    don't know if this sounds right to some people hope you won't be offended
    Lisa you do donate for any extras that you want to see though. And that means alot.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bombmom For This Useful Post:

giang4loan (04-06-2011), Ian Nicoll (04-06-2011), Itsmerobertg (04-06-2011)

Thanks

No, I don't think we should ignore it but we can't stop it, simply cannot. The most we could do is offer a "lite" version and encourage users to use that but even then there will always be that one guy who will wanna give the full version for free and those who will download it from them. Because as I stated above, there are many ungrateful people.
    Yeah but when someone get's ridiculous like this:

REMOVED

it's time to take action imo.
    Last edited by Nicholas Knight; 04-06-2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: No linking to pirating sites...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseDegenerate For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah but when someone get's ridiculous like this:

REMOVED

it's time to take action imo.
    Yeah, that's ridiculous indeed. But I don't see what we can do to stop it.

Something else that also could help is not allow piracy discussion in here. I'm sure more than half of the users who visit this forum don't know about those pirate sites and learn them here.

Pirates repo aren't default in Cydia, this one is. If MMi banned the talk about piracy, not only the name(you know what I'm talking about) but the discussion in general, it could probably low it a bit.
    Last edited by Nicholas Knight; 04-06-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Thanks

Yeah, that's ridiculous indeed. But I don't see what we can do to stop it.

Something else that also could help is not allow piracy discussion in here. I'm sure more than half of the users who visit this forum don't know about those pirate sites and learn them here.

Pirates repo aren't default in Cydia, this one is. If MMi banned the talk about piracy, not only the name(you know what I'm talking about) but the discussion in general, it could probably low it a bit.
    I would rather they ban people who do this, Vaio is here, and has even mailed me for help before.

Green Apple
    Thanks

As someone with no experience or talent in modding or creating themes I thoroughly enjoy all the work and dedication theme builders show to the community. I have learned a ton from modmyi as well as other sites and only wish I had the talent you all have.

With that being said the only comment I have is that as someone who purchases paid themes often it kinda sucks when the creator promises additional mods and updates only to disappear or start other themes. this isn't a knock against anyone, but I do hope that when theme creators promise additional pieces to their masterpieces they deliver.

I am exceptionally grateful to all the communities and their respective members. Due to you all I have not only learned a ton, but also am quite envious of my friends.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,027 Posts

Being a member of db1 I know exactly how you all feel. We had to create our own website to prevent other from pirating. There are only 18 of us on dbarteam.net. And not one of our private themes have been leaked. I know this isn't a possibility here. But more of a principle idea. I agree with the creator of the thread. Themes shouldn't be forced to be paid for. In my opinion, if you offer it free with the option to donate, you'll prob get just as much cash as you would making it a paid theme. Think about it, you charge three dollars for a theme, it's cracked and free on insanelyi the next day, if your forcing me to pay 3$ for a theme that I might think is worth 1$ of course I'm going to download the free one. However if you offered it to me free, I would donate that dollar because that's what I feel it's worth. I don't wanna rant, but I could spend months working on a theme, that doesn't mean it's good, let your users decide. The donations you receive will be from those who do appreciate the work, and to be honest, those are the only customers you should care about. They will be the ones helping with support in the thread and posting mods. Most importantly they will be the ones donating for your next theme too, out of respect.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Them3this For This Useful Post:

bombmom (04-06-2011), CCoops11 (04-06-2011), cougar11 (04-06-2011), Ian Nicoll (04-06-2011), Itsmerobertg (04-06-2011), JesseDegenerate (04-06-2011), monchy36 (04-06-2011), stratnik (04-07-2011), testrun505 (04-06-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Them3this View Post
    Being a member of db1 I know exactly how you all feel. We had to create our own website to prevent other from pirating. There are only 18 of us on dbarteam.net. And not one of our private themes have been leaked. I know this isn't a possibility here. But more of a principle idea. I agree with the creator of the thread. Themes shouldn't be forced to be paid for. In my opinion, if you offer it free with the option to donate, you'll prob get just as much cash as you would making it a paid theme. Think about it, you charge three dollars for a theme, it's cracked and free on insanelyi the next day, if your forcing me to pay 3$ for a theme that I might think is worth 1$ of course I'm going to download the free one. However if you offered it to me free, I would donate that dollar because that's what I feel it's worth. I don't wanna rant, but I could spend months working on a theme, that doesn't mean it's good, let your users decide. The donations you receive will be from those who do appreciate the work, and to be honest, those are the only customers you should care about. They will be the ones helping with support in the thread and posting mods. Most importantly they will be the ones donating for your next theme too, out of respect.
    great post.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseDegenerate For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks Jesse your a specific member I commend for how you go about releasing your themes. I wanted to ask to beta test rain, but I haven't been at Modmyi long. Keep it up dude. Your the kind of creator I don't mind giving my money to.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Them3this For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,453 Posts

totally agree bro!well put..

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DA_GHOST For This Useful Post:

bombmom (04-06-2011), Itsmerobertg (04-06-2011)

Thanks

I can say from experience that you dont get half as much money as you would if it were paid.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nicholas Knight For This Useful Post:

carterrrr (04-06-2011), Itsmerobertg (04-06-2011), JesseDegenerate (04-06-2011)

Thanks

I would rather receive less money from people who actually care that I put the time in, then make 50$ extra bucks from people that could careless about the work I put in. Also, I doubt many paid themes get donations after the first month. You have your rush at release time, but before long, it's cracked and free. And the donations stop. Free themes will receive donations as long as thief around. I just donated someone 5$ the other day for a free theme that was over a year old. Again, this isn't about money, it's about principle. I don't make themes to buy my new caddy, I make them to hopefully improve another users iPhone experience. If I can do that I'm happy, and if I make some money on the side, so be it. It's certainly not my main concern.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Them3this For This Useful Post:

bombmom (04-06-2011), Ian Nicoll (04-06-2011), monchy36 (04-06-2011), stratnik (04-07-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

True

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryry506 For This Useful Post:

My iPhone is a Part of Me scarflaire's Avatar
    Thanks

I would rather receive less money from people who actually care that I put the time in, then make 50$ extra bucks from people that could careless about the work I put in. Also, I doubt many paid themes get donations after the first month. You have your rush at release time, but before long, it's cracked and free. And the donations stop. Free themes will receive donations as long as thief around. I just donated someone 5$ the other day for a free theme that was over a year old. Again, this isn't about money, it's about principle. I don't make themes to buy my new caddy, I make them to hopefully improve another users iPhone experience. If I can do that I'm happy, and if I make some money on the side, so be it. It's certainly not my main concern.
    Agree with this

34. The Following User Says Thank You to scarflaire For This Useful Post:

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I would love to start making my own themes, just as soon as I get a decent computer. Until that day, I spend most of my time browsing MMi, searching for great looking themes. While a great deal of them are well put together themes, most of them are not complete. A very small amount of themes are complete themes, and it's this small amount that i'm willing to pay for. Unfortunately, almost all themes seem to require payment, complete or not and to be honest, that deters me from wanting to purchase any themes at all. If one themer can sloppily throw together a theme, while another spends weeks, or months on his/hers, why should I pay them both the same? If I absolutely love a theme, i'd rather donate $10.00 to the themer, rather than be forced to pay $2.49.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CCoops11 For This Useful Post:

barovia (04-06-2011), Ian Nicoll (04-06-2011), Itsmerobertg (04-06-2011)