+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: why does app icons turns transparent when winterboard applied AppMask.png?

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
hello my iphone is 3gs on jailbroken 4.2.1 but there's a difficulty with theming icons' overlay shadows. i dont want dark shadows when touching App icons, so i applied AppIconMask.png/AppIconOverlay.png/AppIconShadow.png
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default why does app icons turns transparent when winterboard applied AppMask.png?
    hello
    my iphone is 3gs on jailbroken 4.2.1
    but there's a difficulty with theming icons' overlay shadows.
    i dont want dark shadows when touching App icons,
    so i applied AppIconMask.png/AppIconOverlay.png/AppIconShadow.png for transparent.

Above's a screenshot of successfully applied.

but after some resprings or restarting the device,
    the mobile apps icons turn to transparent.
    like below.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails why does app icons turns transparent when winterboard applied AppMask.png?-1.png   why does app icons turns transparent when winterboard applied AppMask.png?-2.png  
    Last edited by souldrinkerfrt; 12-10-2010 at 06:32 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bryberg's Avatar
    Thanks

upload the image you are using for the masks.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bryberg View Post
    upload the image you are using for the masks.
    I wrote that I edited AppIconMask.png/AppIconOverlay.png/AppIconShadow.png to transparent (just erase originals layer and put those 3 to My Theme/Bundles/com.apple.mobileicon.framework)

Thanks

You cant have a transparent mask, It has to be black and white. You dont even have to use a mask unless you want to change the shape of the icon.

Example: A mask like this one, combined with this shadow makes the icon look like that. If you dont have any pixels in your mask or shadow nothing will show up.

Edit: the shadow file isnt showing up for some reason, but its just the white and black border around the icon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails why does app icons turns transparent when winterboard applied AppMask.png?-appiconmask-2x.png   why does app icons turns transparent when winterboard applied AppMask.png?-icon-2x.png   why does app icons turns transparent when winterboard applied AppMask.png?-appiconshadow-2x.png  

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bryberg For This Useful Post:

souldrinkerfrt (12-10-2010)

Thanks

heres the files
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails why does app icons turns transparent when winterboard applied AppMask.png?-appiconshadow-2.png  

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bryberg For This Useful Post:

souldrinkerfrt (12-10-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Really appreciate your help
    You cant have a transparent mask, It has to be black and white. You dont even have to use a mask unless you want to change the shape of the icon.

Example: A mask like this one, combined with this shadow makes the icon look like that. If you dont have any pixels in your mask or shadow nothing will show up.

Edit: the shadow file isnt showing up for some reason, but its just the white and black border around the icon.
    really appreciate
    I just colored AppIconMask.png to All Black, and copied to device
    (also removed AppIconShadow.png/AppIconOverlay.png... Just AppIconMask.png only)
    It worked after copying and respring, but it turns into like below

what should i do if i want to remove shadows when touching icons but icons are looks normally??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails why does app icons turns transparent when winterboard applied AppMask.png?-img_0456.png  
    Last edited by souldrinkerfrt; 12-10-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by souldrinkerfrt View Post
    really appreciate

what should i do if i want to remove shadows when touching icons but icons are looks normally??
    the file name for that is
    IconDarkeningOverlay.png
    [email protected]
    I believe, make a transparent file (typical Icon size) and put it in bundles/com.apple.sprinboard

Green Apple
    Thanks

oops
    sorry mate
    but i'm on 4.2.1 now
    It doesnt work on 4.2 anymore with IconDarkeningOverlay.png...
    anyway i just get anger so i deleted all of shadow images.
    icons looks square (no round shape corner) but it has no shadow when touching.
    so I will maintain this untill this problems get solved.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah
    I'm on 3GS/4.2.1 and there's no more IconDarkeningOverlay.png in SpringBoard.app folder.
    Instead of it, there's AppIconMask/AppIconOverlay/AppIconShadow these 3 png files in /Bundles/com.apple.mobileicon.framework...

I think that many people are on 4.1 so theres just few informations about 4.2.1 themeing... I think that many people will soon notice this problem after release of 4.2 untethered jailbreak tool.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to souldrinkerfrt For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (12-11-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 830 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by souldrinkerfrt View Post
    Yeah
    I'm on 3GS/4.2.1 and there's no more IconDarkeningOverlay.png in SpringBoard.app folder.
    Instead of it, there's AppIconMask/AppIconOverlay/AppIconShadow these 3 png files in /Bundles/com.apple.mobileicon.framework...

I think that many people are on 4.1 so theres just few informations about 4.2.1 themeing... I think that many people will soon notice this problem after release of 4.2 untethered jailbreak tool.
    I'm not looking forward to updating

Maybe there's a flaw in the way the 4.2.1 jailbreak works now? Maybe that will be fixed/ more stable in the new jailbreak. Well, I can always hope!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I'm not looking forward to updating

Maybe there's a flaw in the way the 4.2.1 jailbreak works now? Maybe that will be fixed/ more stable in the new jailbreak. Well, I can always hope!
    no~ its not related with Jailbreak.
    i think that problem is because of Apple's modfi on 4.2...
    they want to App makers to follow their icon size format, so Apple put in a weird way of icon shadowing;;
    I really hate this and nothing can solve this...
    so i just deleted shadow pngs.
    so icon shadow never come up when touching but App icons looks square, see the picture below)

i hope that if many people come to 4.2 and notice this problem, anyway there will be a tweaks or something to solve this on Cydia soon.
    i hope so.
    (its not jailbreak's problem, but 4.2's native problem)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails why does app icons turns transparent when winterboard applied AppMask.png?-img_0460.png  

Thanks

I explained how to do it earlier in this thread, my icons are working perfectly on 4.2.1 iP4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails why does app icons turns transparent when winterboard applied AppMask.png?-img_1377.png  

Green Apple
    Thanks

I explained how to do it earlier in this thread, my icons are working perfectly on 4.2.1 iP4
    Really sorry
    But i couldnt fully understand...
    So your icons doesnt make any shadows when touching them?
    If it does, im sorry but could you upload AppIcon pngs or something that to make no shadows for me?
    Really appreciate your answer.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Did anyone figure out how to stop there shadows when you press the icon after you change the shape of them?