+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone4, iOS4.1 and 114x114 icon limitation

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Hello people, As many of you already know, there is a limitation on the displayed icon size with the new iOS. No matter how big you make the icon, iOS4
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone4, iOS4.1 and 114x114 icon limitation
    Hello people,

As many of you already know, there is a limitation on the displayed icon size with the new iOS. No matter how big you make the icon, iOS4 will always display the icons as 114x114 on the iPhone4. Does anyone know if it is possible to overcome this limitation?

I'll tell you why i need to know. I made this theme for my iphone3g. Its a star trek theme. Let me show you a screenshot:

The above theme consists of big icons that are perfectly aligned to 'touch' eachother.

Now I ported this theme for the new iPhone4 display. The following happens:

Watch the two bottom icons, as you see they are not touching. I have made sure that the icons have the exact correct size.
    For example:
    The first icon is 151x183
    The second icon is also 151x183

This allows the icons to align and touch each other. Due to the fact that iOS4 on the iPhone4 resizes these icons to 114x114, my theme renders useless.

My question is: Has anyone succeeded in overcoming this problem? I have searched the forum but found nothing about it. After googling i found some clues that are related to [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]. I tried deleting these masks but had no positive result.

Has anyone succeeded where I failed?

Thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

I hate star trek

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Man, that is completely besides the point. I hate people that post ********. There you go. If you have nothing constructive to say, please don't speak at all. kktybb

Thanks

I love Star Trek! I'm trying to do the same thing. Theming sure is a different experience on the iphone4. Hard to get it perfect.

Thanks

I think this is an important question, since it also applies to seamless 5-icon docks. So I too would like to know if there is a way to overcome the 114x114 limit (at least in the dock). Note that this is possible with WinterBoard, which scales any image by 2x, but there we are limited to low-res images...
    Come visit AlohaSoft

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ppfffffff. BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!
    star trek SUX

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Juiceguy I bet you're fat and ugly, have no girlfriend and your mother dresses you funny...So you come here and talk sh1t. Thats fine...mmkay.

Thanks

Put your original 3G icons in an "Icons" folder in your theme, instead of in the individual app folders. They wont be hi-res, but your theme will display correctly.

This problem is just one in an increasingly long list of issues with Winterboard that will likely never be addressed by Saurik... He's apparently far too busy jet-setting around and taking fancy vacations to keep his utilities updated.
    Praise the Devs! To each and every one of you who spend your time writing code and making apps for little or no profit... Its YOU that makes the iPhone great, NOT Apple!! From me to you, a million thanks!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheOnlyest For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (12-05-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

@ I wish I was cool anarchyFAG
    IF ONLY my day consisted of farting around on MMi. Don't be mad because you can't figure out your *** icons problem. Dig a little deeper, surely you're intelligent enough to solve your problem on your own.

And aren't Star Trek nerds the ones who live in their mother's basements? I'm willing to bet you and GeoFag are buddy buddies.

Good luck with your theme, hit me up if you ever get outside and see the sun. Suck it b*tch

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    bump + made new post. need to know how to get large retina icon display properly. thanks in advance

My iPhone is a Part of Me fallenzx's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimaiwr View Post
    bump + made new post. need to know how to get large retina icon display properly. thanks in advance
    make you icon double size and make sure to have a Icon folder and you put the icon inside and DONT FORGET THAT YOU NEED 2 ICON 1 NAME PHONE.PNG AND [email protected] AND THEY WONT RESIZE

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fallenzx For This Useful Post:

jimaiwr (12-03-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default urh

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG THANKSSSSS MAN!!!!! you are sikkkk as.
    got it working
    it should be posted in some help blog or something cuz many other forums have the same question
    thanks mate
    Last edited by jimaiwr; 12-03-2010 at 11:33 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

To get icons to resize correctly they have to be put in bundles folders, the icons folder will only display 60x60 no matter the size of the icon.

Also you need to clear the icon cache, var\mobile\Library\caches\com.apple.IconsCache, remove that folder and respring (if they still don't change remove the folder and reboot)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default yo
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky5 View Post
    To get icons to resize correctly they have to be put in bundles folders, the icons folder will only display 60x60 no matter the size of the icon.

Also you need to clear the icon cache, varmobileLibrarycachescom.apple.IconsCache, remove that folder and respring (if they still don't change remove the folder and reboot)
    your wrong mate, i've got an attached picture, and the 'retina' start bar ( it's a categories folder named 'start' ) all i did was make a winterboard theme, in that winterboard theme directory make a "Icons" folder, then I made Start.png and [email protected]. same goes for phone as "Phone.png" and "[email protected]".

cyas g2g dinner

PS rocky5 i think you got it other way around, i've tried putting in bundles and it shrinks into 114 by 114 (iphone 4 icons)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iPhone4, iOS4.1 and 114x114 icon limitation-img_0875.png  
    Last edited by jimaiwr; 12-05-2010 at 03:23 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Icons folder was never updated to support @2x files as it only looks for the current apps display names.

It's been said time and time again that bundles are needed for the retina display icons, I know this as I have my own theme all skinned for my iPhone 4 and I had to make bundles for every app.

If you put a 114x114 in icons it will be huge if you put a 114x114 in a bundle it will be the correct size but clearer looking, this is what I meant.

Last edited by rocky5; 12-05-2010 at 07:08 AM.

Theme Creator
    Thanks

One off comment I'd like to make is that if you have a design like yours where certain things have to align...put as much stuff in a background image as possible.

For instance, if I was making your contacts icon, I would have put the whole image on the background. And then make a clear icon for Contacts and put it in the right place. This would save a lot of time and hassle. Because since there's orange at the bottom, it's obvious there's only one place in your design this would go.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Hey guys, I just wanted to add that you'll need "SummerBoard Mode" in Winterboard switched to "ON" for the icons in the "icons" folder of your theme in order to work.