+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to make a transparent mask background?

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Hi guys. I was making a new theme for iphone4 by replacing pngs from the suave theme HD. And here is my problem: Suave will automatically change ipa icons into
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How to make a transparent mask background?

Hi guys.

I was making a new theme for iphone4 by replacing pngs from the suave theme HD.

And here is my problem:

Suave will automatically change ipa icons into suave-style. I like this style and I hope it keeping doing that.

However, as this png shows, some icons made by myself with a transparent background cannot show correctly. They have automatically been changed into suave-style with an ugly black background.

I know there is a mask.png. And it mask icons.
    But the background of this mask is black not transparent.

How can I change it into transparent?

Forgive my poor English.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to make a transparent mask background?-img_0268.png  

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'd like to know this too. Currently working on replacing a few icons, and I can't figure out how to get rid of that black background.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indont View Post

Hi guys.

I was making a new theme for iphone4 by replacing pngs from the suave theme HD.

And here is my problem:

Suave will automatically change ipa icons into suave-style. I like this style and I hope it keeping doing that.

However, as this png shows, some icons made by myself with a transparent background cannot show correctly. They have automatically been changed into suave-style with an ugly black background.

I know there is a mask.png. And it mask icons.
    But the background of this mask is black not transparent.

How can I change it into transparent?

Forgive my poor English.

Open iFile or ssh go to System/Library/Privateframeworks/MobileIcons.frameworks rename file name you can just add a 1 or whatever after @2x

[email protected]
    Last edited by Miller75; 09-18-2010 at 10:01 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks a lot.

But I don't really understand why could I change the background color to transparent by renaming this png?

I mean if you create a MobileIcons.frameworks folder within theme\bundles,I think winterboard will just replaces every png in that foler not using the ones in /Privateframeworks/MobileIcons.frameworks .

The only way I can remove this ugly black background is to turn off the auto-skinning function by deleting the folder /bundles/mobileicon.framework . So if you hate this background and be willing to change every single icon manully, delete it.

========================

I tried several times again.

And I found that if you only delete the folder /bundles/mobileiconframework or only delete the mask.png, it works temporarily. (respring)

And if you change to another theme and back, it will use the mask.png in privatemobileicon/ and still there is a ugly black background.

The bright side is that deb-app still got masked correctly by the mask.png in privatemobileicon/ if you only delete the mask.png or the whole folder with bundels/mobileiconframework .

So the problem is still not solved. How can I make the mask background transparent?

Or there is another way to get rid of this black background?

I found that deb-app didn't got masked or shined , can we use this?

Can I appoint the app to be masked or not?
    Last edited by indont; 09-19-2010 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Just make it all black problem solved.

White = visible.
    Black = transparent.

It needs to be saved as a web png 24bit (or just edit the stock one and change it to all black and save it)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rocky5 View Post
    Just make it all black problem solved.

White = visible.
    Black = transparent.

It needs to be saved as a web png 24bit (or just edit the stock one and change it to all black and save it)

by "it" you mean what?

mask.png? in privateicon\ or bundles\s.b.\?

Actuall it is black now already.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indont View Post
    by "it" you mean what?

mask.png? in privateicon or bundless.b.?

Actuall it is black now already.
    here is one that works try this add it to your com.apple.mobileicons.framework folder.

also clear your icon cache "/private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.IconsCache" remove everything inside this folder or just remove the folder.

if that doesn't work then its the [email protected]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to make a transparent mask background?-appiconmask-2x.png  
    Last edited by rocky5; 09-20-2010 at 11:04 AM.
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rocky5 View Post
    here is one that works try this add it to your com.apple.mobileicons.framework folder.

also clear your icon cache "/private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.IconsCache" remove everything inside this folder or just remove the folder.

if that doesn't work then its the [email protected]

I replace the bundles/com.apple.mobileicons.framework/[email protected] with your png and it turned to this:

(the black smoke thing is the shadow png)

(By the way, clearing all the files in cache foler doesn't work. Nothing changed. Your have to switch to another theme and switch back.I got the pic above by doing this.I'm afraid this is because the real caches are in the memory of the phone, not these in the HDD.)

So, just like what I said, I think maybe it is this way only in iphone4 but it really doesn't matter what color the mask.png is. Black or white,they are the same.

black = visible
    white = visible
    transparent = transparent

like this:

so,however you change the color of the mask.png , the background is still black.

And I also replaced the com.apple.springboard\WallpaperIconShadow.png with your png. And here:

So the shadow is just the shadow.

Problem still not solved.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to make a transparent mask background?-img_0325.png   How to make a transparent mask background?-img_0326.png   How to make a transparent mask background?-1.png  

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

But thank you all the way.

And I figured out a temporary way to get rid of the ugly black background of the mask png for all the themes with irregular-shaped icons with transparent background by doing this:

Rename [email protected] to anything and respring.

And then the black backgrounds disappear.

But you cannot reboot or change to another theme.(Resping is fine)

Or you have to change the mask png name back and switch to another theme and back and rename the mask again and respring.

All these troubles comes from the buggy winterboard.
    It just doesn't work good with retina display.
    Or I can just put the icons into the icons folder.

Thanks

ok so what your tying to do is have appstore apps have native icon creation but also have custom icons (but its still trying to create an icon for it)

i had this problem at one point, no matter what i done i would have a black square round my icons, i fixed it by clearing the icon cache and rebooting the phone.

OK i just done some testing with my theme, my theme creates AppStore icons so i created a little dude in red and placed the new icon in the icons folder and this is the result it works fin for me.

Last edited by rocky5; 09-21-2010 at 08:46 AM.
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You mean you placed the new icon in yourtheme.theme\icons\ ?

Not in bundles\com.xxx.xxx\ ?

Actually there is a bug in winterboard now.

If you put your new icon straightly in the icons folder but the bundles folder, it will display a huge icon there.

Because our new icons is 120*120 pix for iphone4 retina LCD.

However, a 60*60 will display as the normal size in the screen and this make the 120120 ones 4 times large.

That's why I didn't use the icons folder but choose to use , or should I say have to, the bundles folder.
    Last edited by indont; 09-24-2010 at 02:21 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

just create AppIconMask with white background, AppIconShadow with transparent, remove overlay... that's it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 836 Posts

I worked on this for about 2 hours, which was really boring. I got nowhere.

Whoa, just as I had resolved to give up (right after I hit the period-key on the above sentence), I resprung and it's perfect. What the F*#$@?

Ok, so I tried every combination of things suggested in this thread. This is what I did, I think:

1. AppIconOverlay and AppIconShadow are both Transparent inside Bundles/com.apple.mobileicons.framework. I left out the AppIconMask.
    2. Go into var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.iconscache and delete everything in that folder.
    3. This is where things get hazy: I rebooted, then went into Winterboard and hit the SummberBoard Mode button ON then OFF and resprung.

The icon still gets darker when I press it, but heck I can live with that -- it's time to move on...

Update: It didn't stick. I'm thinking now that Winterboard needs a major overhaul.
    Last edited by Jahooba; 10-25-2010 at 11:53 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Go into Library/YourTheme/Bundles/com.apple.mobileicons.framework and ADD [email protected] (you can use original [email protected] its not important)

Then on iPhone go into Winterboard and deselect and select your theme and respring in winterboard NOT in SBsettings

Go into var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.iconscache and DELETE everything in that folder

Go into var/mobile/Library/Caches and DELETE com.apple.Springboard.folderSwitcherLinen

Go into Library/YourTheme/com.apple.mobileicons.framework and DELETE [email protected]

Then RESPRING in SBsettings (not in Winterboard)

That's it, i tested this 20 times on my iPhone4 with iOS 4.1 and it works if you follow these steps exactly. Also everytime you respirng in Winterboard icon backgrounds will become black again and you need to redo all the steps above. Respringing in SBsettings is ok and icons background will stay transparent.
    I dont have anymore iPhones to test this so i would appreciate that someone lets me know does it work on their iPhone thanks.
    Last edited by Shinigamirem; 01-09-2011 at 07:16 AM.

Thanks

also having this problem.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Did you do my steps above exactly as i wrote?

Thanks

i renamed the appiconmask but that made other icons that i had not skinned have no rounded shape.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yeah, loosing the rounded edges template is a sacrifice, atm there is no other way to do it...

Thanks

SOLVED!

I figured it out.
    solution here:
    appiconmask