+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: modding design for iphone 4 without winterboard

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Hi all, i just got my iphone 4 couple days ago , had a friend help with the jailbreaking and now learning all i could about it. one thing i've
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default modding design for iphone 4 without winterboard
    Hi all, i just got my iphone 4 couple days ago , had a friend help with the jailbreaking and now learning all i could about it.

one thing i've been trying to do without messing much of my phone is changing the slider lock image to something of my own.

i'm wary about creating winterboard theme for that because it seems that i need to recreate the whole phone theme in order to change just the front lock screen slider's image.

so according to this site, HackStore: Customize all iPhone icons without Winterboard, i only have install openSSH and replace the files on the corresponding directory and it will replace my icon

my question is will doing this brick the phone? and is the directory the same? the article seem to be written for iphone3gs tho - i'm not sure.

Thanks, and sorry if this has been discussed before, i did do a search but can't find what i need.

Thanks

I don't fully understand why you don't want to use Winterboard. It's a much safer option as to replacing the actual files on the phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

As far as I understand I think I need to create a new theme just to change the lock's sliding button. And plus I m not familiar with creating new theme with winterboard. It seems easier to just modify one image cause that's all I want to change from the original iPhone 4 interface.

Thanks

you can make winterboard themes where you just modify one image

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackim For This Useful Post:

sephquartz (08-18-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mbeezy81's Avatar
    Thanks

Winterboard is easier to customize. There are plenty of sliders out there to choose from without installing a whole theme. OpenSSH is actually more work with getting into the phone, searching for the right directory, saving original icons, changing to new icon, u get what I'm saying! Lol...but yeah winterboard is easier - the only thing is finding one that works for iPhone 4 may take a little time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sephquartz View Post
    As far as I understand I think I need to create a new theme just to change the lock's sliding button. And plus I m not familiar with creating new theme with winterboard. It seems easier to just modify one image cause that's all I want to change from the original iPhone 4 interface.
    No, I have no idea who told you that, but its wrong. With WinterBoard you can replace what you want. As far as sliders are concerned, install WinterBoard and SSH the silder below (I've picked one at random)

ModMyi Forums - Downloads - Wu tang unlock slider HD iphone 4

Enable it through the iPhone and you will understand how it works.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to blu3frost For This Useful Post:

sephquartz (08-18-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks it's startin to make sense. I guess my question is if I were to modify the theme wont I need openssh as well to replace the downloaded theme image with my own generated image from my comp?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackim View Post
    you can make winterboard themes where you just modify one image
    Wow do u have tutorial to do that for iphone4? Most winteboard theme I've downloaded don't work well with iPhone 4 , so I'm guessing the work flow might be diff
    Last edited by sephquartz; 08-18-2010 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

You will need to SSH and add the files to:

private/var/stash/themes.xxxxxx

Thats it. Enable through WinterBoard.

Note that themes made for previous iPhones will not fully work with the iPhone 4 because some of the folder locations and file names have changed. You will just need to wait, although if you look through the forum, quite a bit has been figured out already.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

can i use diskaid to transfer and modify the files instead of OpenSSH?

Thanks

can i use diskaid to transfer and modify the files instead of OpenSSH?
    Dunno man, ain't used it, but give it a try.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i just did it, it works!! and now i feel like i wanna do more........ >

thanks guys y'all been a great help!

Thanks

i too am in the same boat,

not understanding how exactly to create a theme using winterboard, and crating images one by one and sshing them into my iphone 4....

i mean it is tetious and time consumint,... but its working,...
    if theres an easier way,... can sumone please help me to find the way to set up through winterboard....

does it have to do with bundling the theme? LoL

is it obvious i dont know too much about whut im talkin about here...
    but im great with photoshop and would love to share my creations!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McManimal View Post
    i too am in the same boat,

not understanding how exactly to create a theme using winterboard, and crating images one by one and sshing them into my iphone 4....

i mean it is tetious and time consumint,... but its working,...
    if theres an easier way,... can sumone please help me to find the way to set up through winterboard....

does it have to do with bundling the theme? LoL

is it obvious i dont know too much about whut im talkin about here...
    but im great with photoshop and would love to share my creations!!

Just download what you what to create from the "Downloads" section and use that as a template to build your own. This way you'll know the file structure, image size... etc

Thanks

I mean I have the UIs I downloaded the available zip file containing them and I'm experienced in Photoshop... My only problem is creating the selectable by winterboard theme

I can keep replacing each file one by one via ifile but I know there's n easier way I just don't know exactly what that is yet haha

iPhone? More like MyPhone HeavyD4's Avatar
    Thanks

There is a section that has themes for a bunch of things,example (Themes springboard) (Themes SMS) (Themes lockscreen) n a bunch more depends on ur sources

Oh yeah n themes sliders! Da sorry
    Last edited by HeavyD4; 08-19-2010 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm new to modding iPhones! - Can somebody please post where the .png icons are on iOS 4?

I have done a little digging. The new png files I have downloaded from the web preview on my mac fine.

The png files I THINK that I need to change on the iPhone do not preview when I copy them across to my mac - so I haven't bothered to replace them as yet - don't want to kill it now do I !!

Please help! Thank You.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dav146 View Post
    I'm new to modding iPhones! - Can somebody please post where the .png icons are on iOS 4?

I have done a little digging. The new png files I have downloaded from the web preview on my mac fine.

The png files I THINK that I need to change on the iPhone do not preview when I copy them across to my mac - so I haven't bothered to replace them as yet - don't want to kill it now do I !!

Please help! Thank You.
    You can't get those at the moment as far as I know. You'll have to make do with the iPhone 3 ones.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i believe some .png files are encoded by the creator as to not have their designs copied (glaskhart HD iphone4 theme for example)

here's what i did

i find a theme that is suitable to want i want to mod (in my case i wanted to change the slider button - hence i downloaded Wutang Battery iphone 4, since alot of iphone3 themes dont work with iphone 4, have to make sure its specifically design for iphone 4.

then i used this software called DiskAid, and using the Wutang theme, i duplicated the folder call wutang.theme to my own domo.theme and basically just replaced the .png files, and then just copied it into the correct directory

How to Install Winterboard Theme on iPhone without using Cydia | The iPhone and iPad Blog by Simon

and then just activate it with winterboard

as for more complex modding, you will have to find themes that has the proper directory structure with readable .png files so you can modify it... honestly i'm still looking for a complete iphone4 theme that has all that!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blu3frost View Post
    I don't fully understand why you don't want to use Winterboard. It's a much safer option as to replacing the actual files on the phone.
    In my case, i know for a fact winterboard is a ram killer on iphone 3G and 3GS, for those of you how is your iphone 4 performance with winterboard?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wow do u have tutorial to do that for iphone4? Most winteboard theme I've downloaded don't work well with iPhone 4 , so I'm guessing the work flow might be diff
    You should check out the sticky by VampireV titled 'GUIDE theming in 4.x'. His guide helped me a lot with several topics (lockscreen modding included). Its all pretty straightforward and easy to follow. Sorry if this has already been said.
    Last edited by seamariners85; 11-10-2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Typo