+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to change Home Screen Bookmarks icon on iOS4?

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Last time i changed my Home Screen Bookmarks my phone was on 3.1.3 and I just placed my custom icon with the same name of the home screen bookmark on
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How to change Home Screen Bookmarks icon on iOS4?
    Last time i changed my Home Screen Bookmarks my phone was on 3.1.3 and I just placed my custom icon with the same name of the home screen bookmark on the 'Icons' folder of the theme.

But tried it on iOS4 and it doesnt change btw i use a theme that auto create icon

Help pls...

Thanks

pls... TIA
    Last edited by iymdom13; 08-08-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm looking for an answer also.

Custom icons for bookmarks on the home screen in iOS4, anyone?

Thanks

probably involves using the long # app store app name in winterboard or maybe all inside a webclip folder with the named webclip as weblcipname.png

or do it manuall if winterboard hasnt been updated for this yet.
    Something Hidden in iPhone 4---Steve Jobs twitter

Thanks

happening to me, investigating
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'd also love to know the answer to this once somebody figures it out. I eventually just deleted those shortcuts because I couldn't stand looking at the mismatched icons.

Thanks

you make an icon named "icon.png" and put it in a folder with the same name as the webclip folder... put that folder in the "Folders" directory of your theme.

example: \xxxxxxx.theme\Folders\305D70806EC54245993DC2D4F41 D4BC3.webclip

The problem with the iPhone 4 is, it smashes my icon images down for some reason, i'm still trying to figure out why... I think its because iOS4 (or winterboard) fixed-renders the icons at 60x60px... my icons are 54x70px, so it smashes them down to 60px high.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to change Home Screen Bookmarks icon on iOS4?-img_0018.png  
    Last edited by TheOnlyest; 08-10-2010 at 06:56 PM.
    Praise the Devs! To each and every one of you who spend your time writing code and making apps for little or no profit... Its YOU that makes the iPhone great, NOT Apple!! From me to you, a million thanks!!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheOnlyest For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (08-27-2012), Ron1n (08-28-2010), SheepWolf (05-20-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyest View Post
    you make an icon named "icon.png" and put it in a folder with the same name as the webclip folder... put that folder in the "Folders" directory of your theme.

example: xxxxxxx.themeFolders305D70806EC54245993DC2D4F41D4B C3.webclip

The problem with the iPhone 4 is, it smashes my icon images down for some reason, i'm still trying to figure out why... I think its because iOS4 (or winterboard) fixed-renders the icons at 60x60px... my icons are 54x70px, so it smashes them down to 60px high.
    Thanks for this info. I tried it and had the same result as you did, squashed icon. Need to figure out why this is happening.

Thanks

i found a way to permanantly change it, but not with Winterboard. SSH to User/Library/Webclips and find your shortcut, then replace icon.png with your new one under the same name
    Name? whereswaldo
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

10. The Following User Says Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

SheepWolf (05-20-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    i found a way to permanantly change it, but not with Winterboard. SSH to User/Library/Webclips and find your shortcut, then replace icon.png with your new one under the same name
    Tried this method also. Unfortunately it also squashes the icon down in size.

I wonder if there is a way to adjust the size using the .plist file?

Thanks

the way theonlyest said works perfectly, and not just on the iPhone 4
    Name? whereswaldo
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yep. The only problem is the icons being automatically resized.

Thanks

Correct, I have used this same method since I figured it out with my 3G in '08. So it'll work on any theme and device.

As far as I can tell, if your custom icon is 60x60px, it should display correctly on iOS4

Quote Originally Posted by Dizi View Post
    Tried this method also. Unfortunately it also squashes the icon down in size.

I wonder if there is a way to adjust the size using the .plist file?
    Yup, I already tried overwriting the icon too... and the plist idea may be possible, but there isn't an editable command in the plist, so a command would have to be added, and I have NO clue what that string command would be... i'm a windows dude! <shrug>
    Last edited by TheOnlyest; 08-11-2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Praise the Devs! To each and every one of you who spend your time writing code and making apps for little or no profit... Its YOU that makes the iPhone great, NOT Apple!! From me to you, a million thanks!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Guys

I think i've got the same problem like you, but i tryied a other method.

i created a Folder in the "Bundels" Folder in my theme. The folder name is like the Facebook source, com.facebook.Facebook. That works fine but the Icons are still black. If u see the screenshot on the Cydia and Themes( = winterboard) the icons work but not on Facebook or X-Tra (its a swiss sms programm)

need some help.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

the problem isnt winterboard. its a problem with fullscreen webclips in ios 4. If a webkit is configured to use fullscreen, the icon will be 57x57. it is a known bug and hopefully it wil be fixed in 4.1

are you talking about theming webclip icons or app icons. For webclip icons you need to create a folder called "Folders" in the root directory of your theme file. (xxxx.theme/Folders/fsdfsdrfff.webclip/icon.png) if theming an app icon, create a bundles folder in the same location, find the name of the app bundle you are using. This is a good place for reference. Make sure you name the icon file exactly how it entered. Winterboard IS case sensitive. (xxxx.theme/Bundles/com.facebook.Facebook/[email protected])
    Last edited by tmiranda; 08-19-2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

17. The Following User Says Thank You to tmiranda For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-17-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
    the problem isnt winterboard. its a problem with fullscreen webclips in ios 4. If a webkit is configured to use fullscreen, the icon will be 57x57. it is a known bug and hopefully it wil be fixed in 4.1

are you talking about theming webclip icons or app icons. For webclip icons you need to create a folder called "Folders" in the root directory of your theme file. (xxxx.theme/Folders/fsdfsdrfff.webclip/icon.png) if theming an app icon, create a bundles folder in the same location, find the name of the app bundle you are using. This is a good place for reference. Make sure you name the icon file exactly how it entered. Winterboard IS case sensitive. (xxxx.theme/Bundles/com.facebook.Facebook/[email protected])
    I have been able to theme webclips using the Folders method. But I can't get Winterboard to recognize anything in the Bundles folder of a theme, including your Facebook example. Mine is an iPhone 4.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have been able to theme webclips using the Folders method. But I can't get Winterboard to recognize anything in the Bundles folder of a theme, including your Facebook example. Mine is an iPhone 4.
    Make sure you are using the correct case. if its a capital "I" in "Icon" make sure that is correct. Also, I've noticed sometimes it doesnt take the @2x.png so just try the Icon.png. Or put both. Let me know if it works.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to tmiranda For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-17-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
    Make sure you are using the correct case. if its a capital "I" in "Icon" make sure that is correct. Also, I've noticed sometimes it doesnt take the @2x.png so just try the Icon.png. Or put both. Let me know if it works.
    It doesn't. My case is all correct, and I use this same theme with Bundles (for calculator and dialer) on my 3G where it all loads up properly. I tried both with @2x and without. None of the Bundles load on the iP4.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Worked perfectly for me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EddieEckhardt's Avatar
    Thanks

ya.. no size issue here..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default A detailed solution
    It doesn't. My case is all correct, and I use this same theme with Bundles (for calculator and dialer) on my 3G where it all loads up properly. I tried both with @2x and without. None of the Bundles load on the iP4.
    I've written up a very thorough tutorial, which you can read here. Hopefully this can resolve some of the confusion about theming WebClip icons to match your Winterboard theme's style.