+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hide alarm and battery status bar icons in iOS 4.x

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
After digging around for quite some time trying to figure out how to hide the alarm and battery status bar icons in iOS 4.x, I finally found the right files.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Hide alarm and battery status bar icons in iOS 4.x
    After digging around for quite some time trying to figure out how to hide the alarm and battery status bar icons in iOS 4.x, I finally found the right files. If you would like to remove these icons from your status bar, download this file:

Transparent.png

Install Winterboard and make a new theme. Copy and rename Transparent.png to the following locations:

/Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Black_Alarm.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Silver_Alarm.png

/Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Black_BatteryCharged.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Black_BatteryCharging.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Black_BatteryDrainingBG.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Black_BatteryDrainingInsides.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Black_BatteryDrainingInsidesLow.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Silver_BatteryCharged.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Silver_BatteryCharging.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Silver_BatteryDrainingBG.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Silver_BatteryDrainingInsides.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Silver_BatteryDrainingInsidesLow.png

Somebody else can feel free to package up a theme and submit it to a repo. I'm still trying to find the location of the rotation lock status bar icon. If anybody knows where it is, please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by sysrage; 08-02-2010 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Added screenshots.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sysrage For This Useful Post:

garetpaddack (08-16-2010), HeavyD4 (08-07-2010), Suevans (08-08-2010), thechronic (08-02-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone thechronic's Avatar
    Thanks

If only safaridownload manager was working so I could do it right on my phone with ifile

Thanks for the tweak

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What is the original path to those files, like their default location in the phone?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default What about when you're in apps?
    This is what I'm running into now:

As you can see, the changes took for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and the Battery meter, but when I go into an app, those go back to their old state. My question is, what's the third color we should be naming these things? I tried Blue, but that didn't work. I'm going to try Default next, but I imagine that's probably not it, either. :P

If anyone has any ideas or feedback, I'm all ears.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron1n For This Useful Post:

HeavyD4 (08-07-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ronin: Black_ and Silver_ are the only two. I think you named the Silver ones incorrectly. Those are the ones that show when the status bar is silver (like in that screenshot).

jsh: The original files are inside Shared.artwork located in /System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework/

EDIT: Ronin, I see what you're seeing now. It only happens in certain apps. Cydia and iFile both have that problem. I've also noticed swiping the status bar to bring up SBSettings doesn't work in those two apps. Not sure what they are doing differently than other apps.
    Last edited by sysrage; 08-03-2010 at 06:45 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sysrage For This Useful Post:

jo_Osh (08-03-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, thanks! I was looking all over for them. If I manage to find the portrait lock icon I'll let you know.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sysrage View Post
    Ronin: Black_ and Silver_ are the only two. I think you named the Silver ones incorrectly. Those are the ones that show when the status bar is silver (like in that screenshot).

jsh: The original files are inside Shared.artwork located in /System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework/

EDIT: Ronin, I see what you're seeing now. It only happens in certain apps. Cydia and iFile both have that problem. I've also noticed swiping the status bar to bring up SBSettings doesn't work in those two apps. Not sure what they are doing differently than other apps.
    SBSettings, in Cydia before installing the app, specifically references that in some apps, Activator doesn't function the way it should, so that's why the swipes aren't working. It's suggested to use another activation method to get SBSettings to come down.

And I wonder what's special about those apps that are causing them to force the icons back to default....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I heard back from the iFile developer. Apparently Cydia and iFile don't load all MobileSubstrate extensions but he said Winterboard does get loaded. So, it makes no sense to me that the icons are coming back for those apps. Was hoping somebody else would see this thread and know what's going on.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If there was a way to integrate them into usage without having to mess with the UIKit, that'd be the best way (that's the way I was doing my themes before...instead of letting Winterboard do the work, I copied them over manually, overwriting directly on the phone).

Seems like a lot of the stuff is no longer stored in a location that makes that possible, though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone HeavyD4's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanx 4 the info,appreciate it!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sysrage View Post
    After digging around for quite some time trying to figure out how to hide the alarm and battery status bar icons in iOS 4.x, I finally found the right files. If you would like to remove these icons from your status bar, download this file:

Transparent.png

Install Winterboard and make a new theme. Copy and rename Transparent.png to the following locations:

/Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Black_Alarm.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Silver_Alarm.png

/Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Black_BatteryCharged.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Black_BatteryCharging.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Black_BatteryDrainingBG.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Black_BatteryDrainingInsides.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Black_BatteryDrainingInsidesLow.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Silver_BatteryCharged.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Silver_BatteryCharging.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Silver_BatteryDrainingBG.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Silver_BatteryDrainingInsides.png
    /Library/Themes/YourTheme/UIImages/Silver_BatteryDrainingInsidesLow.png

Somebody else can feel free to package up a theme and submit it to a repo. I'm still trying to find the location of the rotation lock status bar icon. If anybody knows where it is, please let me know. Thanks!
    I was able to hide the Alarm Clock icon with the above, but there's still an empty space where it's supposed to be. I can tell when I go into iFile as there's a space between the Portrait Lock icon and the Battery Percentage. Is this normal? There's no empty space where the Battery icon was.

Also, bump on this part:

I'm still trying to find the location of the rotation lock status bar icon. If anybody knows where it is, please let me know. Thanks!

Anyone?
    Last edited by emberwild; 08-22-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks

hey Ron1n a while b4 the iphone4 came out there were rumors that it wasn't going to be possible to mod the status bar maybe that's part true they can't do do stuff

Ron1n I got a question I've been using backgrounder on my iPhone4 since the jailbreak now when I try to background cydia,voice control activates! N E ideas, thanx bro
    Last edited by HeavyD4; 08-22-2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emberwild View Post
    I was able to hide the Alarm Clock icon with the above, but there's still an empty space where it's supposed to be. I can tell when I go into iFile as there's a space between the Portrait Lock icon and the Battery Percentage. Is this normal? There's no empty space where the Battery icon was.

Also, bump on this part:

I'm still trying to find the location of the rotation lock status bar icon. If anybody knows where it is, please let me know. Thanks!

Anyone?
    RotationLocked.png
    [email protected]
    RotationUnlocked.png
    [email protected]

These are the files you're looking for, and if you're going to modify them, drop them into UIImages within your theme. I made mine transparent, so I don't see the darn thing anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyD4 View Post
    hey Ron1n a while b4 the iphone4 came out there were rumors that it wasn't going to be possible to mod the status bar maybe that's part true they can't do do stuff

Ron1n I got a question I've been using backgrounder on my iPhone4 since the jailbreak now when I try to background cydia,voice control activates! N E ideas, thanx bro
    Status bar is slightly moddable, but it seems not in certain apps..yet.

Regarding Backgrounder and Cydia, I can only assume that it has to do with a setting in Backgrounder, as I've been having the same problem, but I haven't had the time to try and figure it out.

Thanks

If u were 2 do it with ifile if it's not a hassle could u xplain,I don't ssh n only know little about ifile,thnx in advance

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron1n View Post
    This is what I'm running into now:

As you can see, the changes took for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and the Battery meter, but when I go into an app, those go back to their old state. My question is, what's the third color we should be naming these things? I tried Blue, but that didn't work. I'm going to try Default next, but I imagine that's probably not it, either. :P

If anyone has any ideas or feedback, I'm all ears.
    I have a question how do you get the percentage to show up next to the battery? I am running Elite Pro as a theme on my phone, but can't seem to get the percentage to show up next to the battery. What do I need to customize the status bar? I would also like to add the temperature to the right of the time.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I followed all the instructions and it worked pretty well, I even found on another thread about hiding the Bluetooth one as well. The Rotation Locked/Unlocked one did not work for me with those filenames Ronin mentioned. After some research I found the file names:

Black_Lock.png
    Black_RotationLock.png
    Gray_RotationLock.png
    Silver_Lock.png
    Silver_RotationLock.png
    White_RotationLock.png

Rename the Transparent.png to those and put it in the same folder as your theme and voila. Remember that the Transparent.png icon STILL is a small icon so for example, if you have a Status Bar Mail icon and it currently is showing on the bar and you enable/disable the Rotation Lock you do see the icons AFTER, in this case the mail one, move slightly towards the center. Not too much though.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sorry for Necroing, but I just tried this on iOS 3.1.3 with no luck. I left out the Rotation Lock icons, but it's still not working.