+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone screen won't completely turn off

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Hello everyone, I've been reading a lot more then I've been posting, mainly because the answer to my questions have already been found and I just had to search for
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone screen won't completely turn off
    Hello everyone, I've been reading a lot more then I've been posting, mainly because the answer to my questions have already been found and I just had to search for them, but this is a different problem entirely.

I've found that when I'm getting into bed late at night I'll put my iPhone 3GS next to me, still on, and locked. But even though the phone is locked, the screen is emitting a faint light, like the back light is still on. You can see it from across the room, and I know it's still on, because I can't go more then +/- 8 hours before my phone dies on a full charge. (and that's standby time. No texting, or talking, or playing games etc.) I've taken off all the theme crap and other "fixes" and the screen still won't turn off. My dad's got a stock iPhone 3GS and I compared the two, and my screen is definitely on and his isn't. If you need any more information please feel free to ask. I've never restored my phone either, but if that's what needs to happen that's fine. Thanks for any and all help!

Thanks

More info is needed. Are you jailbroken? Have you performed a reset?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes, Jailbroken. And yes, I've performed a reset. I even let my battery completely drain out and run the same "dark test" and seeing if for whatever reason the screen would still be on, and it's completely dark like my dad's iPhone is. I then charge it and get it back on with iTunes and blackra1n and the screen backlight is still on.

Here's a list of other apps that are in my settings:
    Activator
    Clock Hide
    CyDelete
    Cydget (not used)
    Iconoclasm
    LockInfo
    ProSwitcher
    Reflective Dock
    Shrink (not used)
    Weather Icon

^^ I don't know if that helps but if you needed it, there it is. Thanks again for taking the time to read my post.

Thanks

Try disabling an app, respringing and see if it fixes it. Keep doing this till you went through all your cydia apps. Most likely one of those are doing this.

Another alternative would be to start up in safe mode. I've attached a c&p from another site :

1. Install veency on your iphone/ipod - veency can be found on cydia
    2. connect to your iphone/ipod with a vnc [ame="http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99653#"]server[/ame] - I used tightvnc
    3. after you have connected, hold the sleep/wake button and slide to [ame="http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99653#"]power[/ame] off
    4. instead of turning off, your iphone/ipod will go into safe mode
    - if it does turn off, just turn it on again and the device will still go into safe mode

To exit safe mode, simply respring or reboot your device

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The information is much appreciated JW. I'll work on doing that and seeing if it turns off, and report back if I find anything.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Alright it's been a few days, but I have disabled everything one by one, and the backlight is still on when I push the lock button (sleep/wake button) I installed Veency and got into the phone (cool thing btw) and put it into Safe Mode and the backlight is STILL on. Honestly, I'm thinking about restoring the damn phone and putting 3.1.2 back on it afterwards just to see if the backlight is still on. At 100% charged, my phone will die in about 10 hours of IDLE TIME. God forbid I make a phone call or three, and text constantly, and listen to the iPod built in because I run way too much. As far as I can tell however, it's not an app causing this. Should I just restore and see what I can get out of that? Thanks.

Thanks

I had the exact same problem, then i installed a theme with iSetup, and the problem went away. Im assuming it was a mobilesubstrate addon (since iSetup themes disable some of them). i would go through and turn each one off one by one untill the problem is solved. i hope this helps.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's a good idea, and I went through each one and disabled it then resprang the springboard, locked it, and the backlight is still on. I then disabled ALL of them, and the light is still on.

Also, I followed the Safe Mode instructions, but realized my phone doesn't go into the Safe Mode like it should. When I connect via tightVNC, I can control the phone with my mouse and keyboard, so I slide to power off and it just resprings and tightVNC tells me the connection closed. I'll reconnect and do it again, and then the phone actually shuts off and I have to reboot with iTunes and blackra1n. I didn't realize Safe Mode was actually turning off all of the Mobile Substrate Addons, so it never actually did go into safe mode.

Thanks for the help this far. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theoracle09 View Post
    Alright it's been a few days, but I have disabled everything one by one, and the backlight is still on when I push the lock button (sleep/wake button) I installed Veency and got into the phone (cool thing btw) and put it into Safe Mode and the backlight is STILL on. Honestly, I'm thinking about restoring the damn phone and putting 3.1.2 back on it afterwards just to see if the backlight is still on. At 100% charged, my phone will die in about 10 hours of IDLE TIME. God forbid I make a phone call or three, and text constantly, and listen to the iPod built in because I run way too much. As far as I can tell however, it's not an app causing this. Should I just restore and see what I can get out of that? Thanks.
    Restoring with 3.1.2 doesn't seem like a bad idea at this point. You've tried about every troubleshooting step.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jwlionking For This Useful Post:

theoracle09 (04-15-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I appreciate the help everyone, but I couldn't stand charging my phone 3 times a day and STILL have it die at night. I've restored it back to factory on 3.1.2 and got all my contacts and everything back on it, but it's not JB and I did the "dark test" and the back light is shut off. I'm going to keep it like this for a few days and see how much battery power is improved before I try and JB again. Thanks for the help though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theoracle09 View Post
    I appreciate the help everyone, but I couldn't stand charging my phone 3 times a day and STILL have it die at night. I've restored it back to factory on 3.1.2 and got all my contacts and everything back on it, but it's not JB and I did the "dark test" and the back light is shut off. I'm going to keep it like this for a few days and see how much battery power is improved before I try and JB again. Thanks for the help though.
    Glad to hear your issue was software related..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwlionking View Post
    Glad to hear your issue was software related..
    This is a serious headache. I got all my pics and contacts back on my phone, and left out all the apps and such and kept my phone stock, and realized the battery was still losing about 8% an hour on standby. I JUST restored my phone back to 3.1.2 and did NOT put the contacts etc back on it, and the backlight was OFF. I then chose to restore it with the contacts and pics etc and the backlight is ON. My ******* phone isn't even jailbroken. The issue is definitely software related, and the only thing I can think of doing by now is to just manually transfer all of my information on to a piece of paper, restore back to stock 3.1.2 AGAIN, and instead of putting the old information back on via iTunes I'll do it manually by hand. Unless someone has a better idea, because it sounds like I have a corrupt back up or something. *sigh*