+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Appstore applications - where to find the graphic files

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Hi I'm trying to re-skin some icons for iDialog and Poker 10k(facebook poker).. But after browsing my phone with DiskAid I cant seem to find the icons I'm looking for..
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Appstore applications - where to find the graphic files
    Hi

I'm trying to re-skin some icons for iDialog and Poker 10k(facebook poker).. But after browsing my phone with DiskAid I cant seem to find the icons I'm looking for.. These apps are downloaded from Appstore.. but shouldnt I be able to find the icons in question anyways?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Navigate to /var/Mobile/Applications

There you will notice several folders with long alpha-numeric numbers for the name.

Open one up and in it you will see a folder structure something like:

Documents folder
    Library folder
    ProCamera.app
    tmp
    iTunesArtwork

The above example is obviously for ProCamera, so what you would do is copy the iTunesArtwork to your desktop, and then add the extension .png to it, I would suggest changing the name too so you know what it is for.

So change from iTunesArtwork to ProCamera.png

This gives you the full 512 x 512 resolution of the apps graphic, you can then make any icon you want out of it.

Hope that helps!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hmm.. well.. I found the apps.. thx.. but I cant open the files.. not the png files under the app folder nor the itunesartwork..

renamed as u said, but it shows this error..

Could not complete your request cause the file format module could not parse the file.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,620 Times in 5,899 Posts

Inside the files (that are numbered) you will find a file called Icon.png
    that is the file that has the artwork for the app. If that is what your asking.
    But, for App Store apps you can go to appshopper.com or Goggle for images you may want to use.

But, if your just going to re-skin the icons and are using a theme, you would just replace them in the .Theme "Icon" folder for them to work.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 01-15-2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Also, if you are in windows make sure you have view extensions of files checked, and then open the itunesartwork in paint resave it as a .png then you can open the file in Photoshop, it's coded differently so you have to resave it first.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Will elaborate what I'm after..

I installed iNav as my new theme. However, I find it somewhat lacking for my needs. I want some of my most used apps/games integrated into the layout.

To do this, I copy the icon.png for the icon I want to edit to my computer, open it in PS CS2, edit/replace it, save it, and copy it back to the same place on the phone.

Now this works for most apps I downloaded through Rock/Cydia. The icon files are located under appropriate folders under applications. Like Rock.app, shortcut0-8.app(springjump), cydia.app.

The files I downloaded from Appstore however is only located under var\mobile\ as pointed out earlier in this thread.

Now, as blkcadi said. the apps under there have a folder called Poker 10k.app which contain icon.png.
    This png file I cannot open in paint, or photoshop.

Error message: Paint Cannot Read This File. It's either not a valid bmp file, or its format is not supported.

Thanks

Right, for the icon.png you need to google and download fixpng...they are coded differently, you need to convert it before you can view it in PS.

The itunesartwork I am talking about you can open it in paint, then resave it as a .png and then open it in PS. This gives you a full resolution 512 x 512 of the apps artwork, and then you can make whatever icon you want out of it, it's the same artwork that is used to make whichever apps icon, just a full size and resolution version of it. Plus you don't need a separate converter to look at the image, paint will do the trick here.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Aye.. but unless I know which icon.png file to overwrite on the phone, I cant use it for much..

Will try the fixpng thingy.. thx.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vulcanpromance View Post
    Aye.. but unless I know which icon.png file to overwrite on the phone, I cant use it for much..

Will try the fixpng thingy.. thx.
    I'm not sure I follow completely...you can use the icon.png from the (example you used) poker 10k.app, you just need the fixpng to convert the image so you can see it in photoshop, but you are limited to the actual icon and a 59 x 60 size.

If you use the artwork instead, you just need to rename, and resave it in paint, then you can open it in photoshop, and have a full 512 x 512 image to use instead, and don't need the fixpng to convert.

After you have your icon, you can do 1 of 2 things, name it to match the app name in winterboard and save it in your themes icon folder, or navigate back to the app and name it icon.png overwriting the stock image, and bypass winterboard all together. The first option is easier to do, and since you are already using a theme in winterboard would probably be the better option.

Hope that clears up what I meant a little :P

Green Apple
    Thanks

Umm.. 1st one I wasnt aware of.. hehe.. your saying that I can just take an Icon and name it iDialog.png in my Inav/icons folder to have it replace the icon for that application?

my god.. how kewl wasnt that.. Thanks alot for the one

Ok.. I still need to find the other icon.png for making it show as another icon in Categories->add tho..

Another question.. I'm using library\themes\ to find the files I alter, but I also notice there is a var\stash\themes

they look the same.. which one should I put my edited files in? either?, both? librar version only? or stash version only?
    Last edited by vulcanpromance; 01-16-2010 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vulcanpromance View Post
    Umm.. 1st one I wasnt aware of.. hehe.. your saying that I can just take an Icon and name it iDialog.png in my Inav/icons folder to have it replace the icon for that application?

my god.. how kewl wasnt that.. Thanks alot for the one

Ok.. I still need to find the other icon.png for making it show as another icon in Categories->add tho..

Another question.. I'm using librarythemes to find the files I alter, but I also notice there is a varstashthemes

they look the same.. which one should I put my edited files in? either?, both? librar version only? or stash version only?
    It is the same, I use the /Library/Themes, it will end up in the other one too.

For Categories, if you download CategoriesSB, it integrates it into the springboard, and makes the load instantaneous, no waiting, and it also keeps the icons you have for your theme in the category folders, so no need for a second set of icons...or are you talking about the icon when you open the Categories app, the folder icon, or the icon for the app inside the folder? Maybe post a screen shot.

If it's the category folder icon like this:

There are 2 ways to theme that icon, you can make a folder named Category001.app with an Icon.png inside of it (check the actual categories app for correct names) and the put that folder inside the Folders folder of your main theme, or navigate to /Applications and inside that folder are all of the Category folders that you have created, and you can add the Icon.png there.

If you are talking about this one:

I'm not 100% sure how to change that one, so maybe someone else can help out here. I think that it just resizes the default icon but again, I'm not sure.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Its the last screenshot yes.. I will test to see if I can figure out how to change it..