+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: total newb question: switch "iPod" text and wifi signals?

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Ok, sorry if this is a really stupid question, but I've looked everywhere and I can't find anything that can help me. I'm on a quest to make my iPod
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default total newb question: switch "iPod" text and wifi signals?
    Ok, sorry if this is a really stupid question, but I've looked everywhere and I can't find anything that can help me.

I'm on a quest to make my iPod touch look like and iPhone. I'm sooo close, got the fake phone icon, (which actually opens my Skype) changed the wifi indicators to stock cell reception signals, and even changed the "iPod" text to a fake carrier. Theres just one problem...

I'm trying to go for "all realism" here, and a small indication has appeared. The carrier and the custom wifi signals are a dead giveaway, and I would like some simple way to make them switch places on the status bar.

I'm running firmware 3.1.2 on a brand new iPod 3g, with a tethered jailbreak using blackra1n. I have Cydia, and Rock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails total newb question: switch "iPod" text and wifi signals?-photo.jpg  

Thanks

in your winterboard theme you can do something that is much cooler than i think you are trying to do. I have been meaning to make a little demo of this for a fake AT&T carrier for the ipod. basically all you need to do is theme the wifi bars so that your image includes the carrier text. Then you can just use a 1x20px ipod text image. sorry for not being specific to which images. i just dont feel like looking up the names. if you need more clarification let me know

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@JStraitiff

I get what you're saying, but the thing is...I'm a total idiot when it comes to this stuff, so unless I can download a premade theme from Cydia, or Rock, It won't be easy for me to do it. Cause I don't know how to make my own themes. :/

*EDIT* I tried SSHing into my iPod, and found the theme folder. I copied it to my computer and added the fake carrier to the image files like JStraitiff said, but when I upload it back to my iPod, it doesn't work. I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong, I replaced the theme in the folder, didn't make any new ones, just took the edited images and overwrote the old one.

I would really like if there was just a theme or something I could download, or a file I could edit to switch the orientation. I also realize that if I just add a carrier to the wifi signals, then when I'm not connect to a network then the fake carrier would disappear. I don't care if the signals just disappear, I just want the wifi signals to appear on the left side.
    Last edited by sethfoxen; 01-03-2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Tried a method

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sethfoxen View Post
    @JStraitiff

*EDIT* I tried SSHing into my iPod, and found the theme folder. I copied it to my computer and added the fake carrier to the image files like JStraitiff said, but when I upload it back to my iPod, it doesn't work. I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong, I replaced the theme in the folder, didn't make any new ones, just took the edited images and overwrote the old one.
    not sure if i quite got what you said there, but look in winterboard it should be in there

Thanks

Hey im not sure if this is whatyou were looking for but just go to cydia and type in T- mobile carrier (in search) and look for one that says works for ipod and iphone. Also you can rename your "skype" to say "phone " by downloading Rename II. Hope it helped.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by p3bguin911 View Post
    Hey im not sure if this is whatyou were looking for but just go to cydia and type in T- mobile carrier (in search) and look for one that says works for ipod and iphone. Also you can rename your "skype" to say "phone " by downloading Rename II. Hope it helped.
    I think they meant that they had made their own little symbol and wanted to use it like that t-mobile one, so in other words how do you apply using ssh or something?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The text from Ipod (Ipod) can be changed using the app MakeItMine, available in Cydia. You don't need to mess around with png files or themes just for that. For the wi-fi singnals you need winterboard and a theme with your images... I'm trying to figure out this too, if somebody knows and hava time to explain it will be very helpfull......

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, maybe I can explain this a little better.

I downloaded an "extended settings" mod from Cydia, in this mod was an option to change the "iPod" text to anything you want. The text aligned flush with the left side of the status bar. I also downloaded "wifi bars for iTouch" from Cydia, which changes the half-circle wifi signal, to straight vertical bars, like a cell phone. The wifi mod simply changes the shape of the signal indicator, not the actual position. So the wifi signal indicator is still on right side of the text that once said "iPod," I want to know how I can get the wifi indicator to be flush with the left side of the status bar, and the "iPod" text to be to the right of the wifi indicator.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

im in the same situation as u seth nd i dont know what to do