+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Update your SMS themes for chatkit.framework

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
As you may have noticed, after the transition to 3.0 none of the old sms themes worked. The reason for this is because the messages.app has changed substantially since sms.app.
    Thanks

Default Update your SMS themes for chatkit.framework
    As you may have noticed, after the transition to 3.0 none of the old sms themes worked. The reason for this is because the messages.app has changed substantially since sms.app. Now the images that are used in the sms frontend are located in ChatKit.framework.

Recently Saurik has updated winterboard so that his previous shortcut "SMSBackground.png" works again (just like the wallpaper.png). he also added a remap for the older image names. Now winterboard checks for the images in chatkit.framework and if they are not present it checks for the images from the old SMS.app and if they exist it will use those. "Why Bother to Update the images if it will still work?" you might ask? Because by adding this remap it will now effect performance in Messages.app. To avoid this you simply have to change the location and maybe the image names.

To access the ChatKit.framework you simply use "Folders". For anyone not familiar with this method all you need to do is add a directory to your theme called "Folders" and beneath that "ChatKit.framework". It can also be accessed through Bundles but i feel that Bundles is deprecated. As stated earlier "SMSBackground.png" still works.

Good luck.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JStraitiff For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (08-05-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JStraitiff View Post
    As you may have noticed, after the transition to 3.0 none of the old sms themes worked. The reason for this is because the messages.app has changed substantially since sms.app. Now the images that are used in the sms frontend are located in ChatKit.framework.

Recently Saurik has updated winterboard so that his previous shortcut "SMSBackground.png" works again (just like the wallpaper.png). he also added a remap for the older image names. Now winterboard checks for the images in chatkit.framework and if they are not present it checks for the images from the old SMS.app and if they exist it will use those. "Why Bother to Update the images if it will still work?" you might ask? Because by adding this remap it will now effect performance in Messages.app. To avoid this you simply have to change the location and maybe the image names.

To access the ChatKit.framework you simply use "Folders". For anyone not familiar with this method all you need to do is add a directory to your theme called "Folders" and beneath that "ChatKit.framework". It can also be accessed through Bundles but i feel that Bundles is deprecated. As stated earlier "SMSBackground.png" still works.

Good luck.
    how exactly is bundles deprecated when it is the new format written FOR wb... the folders system ur advocating was just written in to provide backwards compatability for old summerboard themes. and it isnt even complete. u could never theme the entire ui with folders alone. there is however a bundle identifier for EVERY png. Plus, (and i haven't tested this at all because this is really the first im hearing about this) but i would imagine that those performance issues ur talking about (if they really exist) would affect the "Folders" folder just the same as the main folder shortcuts (like SMSBackground.png) because they involve the same process, and neither is a /direct/ hook.

Thanks

You do realize this post is from 2009 right?

Thanks

yeah... but its stickied, and still completely relevant.

Thanks

so correct me if im wrong....
    in order to make a custom background for your SMS all u need to do is upload a .png named SMSBackground.png to the chatkit frameworks folder??

and does anyone know the dimentions of this BG?

im new to skinning and learning a lot as i go....
    ive already moded most of the sms chatkit frameworks folder and would like to do a custom background but i cant find the file to edit....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

what firmware? 3.0? because there are lots of problems with apps on cydia running on iphone 3.0

Thanks

How to make it workee with @2x is another question... if anyone knows the answer.

KJ

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i know this is an OLD thread... but i have had a heck of a time changing chat bubbles... UUUUGGHHH
    anyways original path is /system/library/privateframeworks/chatkit.framework

to add custom sms bubble to your theme.. u need these folders.. Folders/chatkit.framework. icons name is Balloon_1~iphone.png. Balloon_2~iphone.png

IPhone 3G IOS 4.2.1

Thanks
    Thanked 2,274 Times in 1,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    You do realize this post is from 2009 right?
    lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by appter View Post
    i have had a heck of a time changing chat bubbles.
    Dont add ~iphone like stated above. It's Balloon_1 and Balloon_2
    Black 16gb iPhone 4S 5.1.1
    Macbook Air OSX 10.8.2

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

can some1 plz tell me which font is used in modmyi sms themes??
    Update your SMS themes for chatkit.framework-font.jpg

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Maybe this will help cut down the level of confusion that has been created on this subject.
    Winterboard:

Balloons:
    var/stash/ThemesD7YWjg/SMS.theme/bundles/com.apple.chatkit/
    Balloon_1.png
    Balloon_2.png

Bg:
    var/stash/ThemesD7YWjg/SMS.theme/
    SMSBackground.png

SMS.theme; just change SMS to the name of your theme.

This is where the originals are:
    System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ChatKit.framework/

Quote Originally Posted by kingjust View Post
    How to make it workee with @2x is another question... if anyone knows the answer.

KJ
    Just add @2x as extension. Following the info above.
    Last edited by dpmayer; 02-13-2012 at 07:30 PM.