+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Icon Modding - Black-transparent background (tough one)

is a discussion within the

Skinning / Themes Discussion

forums, a part of the

Design and Media For the iPhone / iPod Touch

section;
Hi all, I've been googling and trying out a lot of stuff but I could not solve this one. I've uploaded a couple of custom Icons of which most work
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Icon Modding - Black-transparent background (tough one)
    Hi all,

I've been googling and trying out a lot of stuff but I could not solve this one.

I've uploaded a couple of custom Icons of which most work well. My interest is to have icons on the homescreen, without the standard box with the curved edges. It does work for most icons (see screenshot e.g. SysInfoPlus), but for some it doesn't.

E.g Icon FGT Lite Vers. The Icons is a standard 57x57 png with the red ferrari only. The rest of the image is actually transparent using alpha channels. I've uploaded the image/icon and for some reason Iphone OS adds the gloss (got rid of that activating UIprerenderedicon in info.plist) and the black background. If you look closely, the background is not completely black but slightly opaque as one can see the background image behind it.

Does anyone have a clue of how to get rid of the black-transparent background which fills up the icon square?

thanks,
    nero44
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Icon Modding - Black-transparent background (tough one)-homescreen.jpg  

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

AppIconShadow.png in UIImages... make it transparent... if that doesnt work, then the app creater added there own AppIconShadow.png in the app's folder... go to root/Applications/"thatapp" and find the png there, and make that transparent in ur theme (with corresponding name/folder structure)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to leram84 For This Useful Post:

nero44 (04-24-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I had the same problem when I was SSHing icons directly into my touch (no theme) but I fixed it when I made them into a theme, but I don't know if thats because of the theme it self, or the three files I made.

Add these to your icons folder and see if that works.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ssjgohan4life For This Useful Post:

nero44 (04-24-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

leram84,
    I have no themes installed, I just SSHed the Icon.png directly into the apps folder. As mentioned, it worked for some, but not for all. I also cant find any appiconshadow.png anywhere in the app's folder.

ssjgohan4life,
    cant see any attachments. pls check again. in order to create a theme I just need to create a folder in /Library/Themes/?

thanks for your responses guys.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nero44 View Post
    leram84,
    I have no themes installed, I just SSHed the Icon.png directly into the apps folder. As mentioned, it worked for some, but not for all. I also cant find any appiconshadow.png anywhere in the app's folder.

ssjgohan4life,
    cant see any attachments. pls check again. in order to create a theme I just need to create a folder in /Library/Themes/?

thanks for your responses guys.
    I did it that same way at first. What you do is find your themes folder. Either go to </root> library/themes or go to var/stash/themes and make a folder like "Your Theme.theme" and in that folder make another folder called Icons and put your icons in there as the same name as their corresponding labels on your spring board.

And those files are there, they are transparent, try to high lite that section and you'll see it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ssjgohan4life For This Useful Post:

nero44 (04-24-2009), Scooterpig (04-24-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Creating a theme seems to be the only possibility. Actually not much of an effort.
    The themes for some reason were in:
    /var/stash/Themes.XXXX whereas XXXX is not the name of the theme but some random combination of letters and numbers. I had three of those in the stash folder but in only one of them I found the default files which come with winterboard. uploaded the icons et Voila!

did not expect to get an answer so quickly! great job done!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Icon Modding - Black-transparent background (tough one)-photo.jpg  

iPhone? More like MyPhone Scooterpig's Avatar
    Thanks

Edit: great stuff thanks for the tip worked a treat for me also and happy now..
    Last edited by Scooterpig; 04-24-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,627 Times in 5,902 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterpig View Post
    I'm having the exact same problem with this but don't understand how if you say make a new theme with required icons etc, if I'm already running a theme in WB and if I select both themes, which order do they go in on list to get rid of the black background?
    If you tick (check Mark) your theme you made and put it above the original one in winterboard that your using, it will work.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

Scooterpig (04-24-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Scooterpig's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    If you tick (check Mark) your theme you made and put it above the original one in winterboard that your using, it will work.
    Yep just worked that out and got it going thanks mate..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterpig View Post
    Yep just worked that out and got it going thanks mate..
    Glad to help. Enjoy

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok everyone is saying this is working but for my I have my theme at the top above the other theme and my icons still have a black background I'm only having problems with the App Store icons all the stock ones looks just fine

Ok everyone is saying this is working but for my I have my theme at the top above the other theme and my icons still have a black background I'm only having problems with the App Store icons all the stock ones looks just fine
    Last edited by i_a_p_o; 04-11-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks

This is a 3 year old thread, if the theme you are using has "auto create" icons, you can use a tweak in Cydia called "ThemeIconMaker", should help you out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm making my own with black text name of the icon with transparent background all the stock apps works fine but the App Store apps I bought are the only ones that's putting the black background image.jpg