Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to use WeatherIcon

Default How to use WeatherIcon
    When I developed WeatherIcon, I wanted to reach as many people as possible, including people that don't use Winterboard. There are several ways to configure WeatherIcon:

I don't use Winterboard. What do I do?
    Just install. The latest WeatherIcon includes a version of the default weather application icon without the temperature. WeatherIcon will use that image and put the current temp on it.

I use Winterboard with my own background for the weather icon in my theme but all I see is the default weather icon.
    Install WeatherIcon and check "Weather Icon" in your Winterboard app. This will use the default weather images and hide the weather background so that your theme's weather icon shows through.

I use Winterboard and I got a theme for WeatherIcon on some other forum. Now I see the bright blue "default" icon behind the images.
    Install WeatherIcon and check your custom WeatherIcon theme. For now, you'll need to add a transparent icon called "weatherbg.png" to your custom WeatherIcon theme in the Bundles/com.apple.springboard directory. I'll be releasing a new version of the icon with a theme included for this purpose.

I use Winterboard and would like to see the background change at night and during the day.
    Install WeatherIcon and check "Weather Icon" AND "Weather Icon Background" in Winterboard. You'll get "default" looking icons that change with the time of day. You can also create your own background theme by creating two images: weatherbg_day.png and weatherbg_night.png. Place them in the Bundles/com.apple.springboard directory.

For details on themes for WeatherIcon, go to weathericon - Google Code.

Weathericon is awesome mod but I don't use Winterboard because it slowed my iPhone. I'm doing all modification by my own through SSH. Yes it's longer process but I like my iPhone to be as fast as possible. Pls could you tell me where I can download and whereI have to put all source in iPhone to work without Winterboard. Just little info, I'm familiar with SSH etc.

Do you have some info how LiveClock is possible to work without Winterboard?

Thx in advance

I have been using WeatherIcon since day 1 and I must say IT ROCKS!!!!

Thanks Stimpy!

I just installed weather icon and backgrounds on my 3g 2.2 iphone. The temperature in the icon now says 36 but the current temperature in the weather widget is 28 and the hight today is suposed to be 34. Where is it getting the 36 degrees and can I get it to show the current temp? Thanks. Nice app!

Dah. It takes the current temp from the first city listed. I had another city first. Changed the order, powered off and then the icon now shows the correct local temp. Great. Thanks!
    Last edited by brush; 02-01-2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: found answer

Quote Originally Posted by Ma5ter View Post
    Weathericon is awesome mod but I don't use Winterboard because it slowed my iPhone. I'm doing all modification by my own through SSH. Yes it's longer process but I like my iPhone to be as fast as possible. Pls could you tell me where I can download and whereI have to put all source in iPhone to work without Winterboard. Just little info, I'm familiar with SSH etc.

Do you have some info how LiveClock is possible to work without Winterboard?

Thx in advance
    WeatherIcon will work "out of the box" without Winterboard, but it will basically look like the old weather icon with changing temperatures. If you want a totally custom look, copy all of the icons and plist out of /Library/Themes/Weather Icon.theme/Bundles/com.apple.springboard into /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app. Next, either replace your Weather icon without something blank or put background icons in SpringBoard.app called weatherbg_night.png and weatherbg_day.png. Respring and you should be good to go.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stimpy5050 For This Useful Post:

Ma5ter (02-03-2009)

Thx for your answer but when I tried to install Weathericon Winterboard was installed instantly. I copied all what you described in to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app, then uninstalled Winterboard and Weathericon didn't work anymore. I think something is missing, I only have icons and com.ashman.WeatherIcon.plist?
    Pls some hint?

Damn, I was blind. Solved!
    Everything works perfect without Winterboard. Thx Stimpy5050.
    Last edited by Ma5ter; 02-03-2009 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,889 Times in 6,042 Posts

Very cool app. Had it since day one. It's very accurate in temp and enjoy now having to load weather to see temp anymore.

Thumbs down latest update
    i updated to day to newest update of app and now it doesnt respond to actual theme loaded with it turn on for normal background but stuck with default icon using the abeo theme so it sticks out like a sore thumb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0001.png   -img_0002.png  

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Map WI-Icons to a folder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stimpy5050 View Post
    WeatherIcon will work "out of the box" without Winterboard, but it will basically look like the old weather icon with changing temperatures. If you want a totally custom look, copy all of the icons and plist out of /Library/Themes/Weather Icon.theme/Bundles/com.apple.springboard into /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app. Next, either replace your Weather icon without something blank or put background icons in SpringBoard.app called weatherbg_night.png and weatherbg_day.png. Respring and you should be good to go.
    Well, I thought I could get around bloating the SpringBoard.app folder even more, by using the "Mappings" Key to point to a folder containing the icons. I put this into the com.ashman.WeatherIcon.plist that I copied directly to the SpringBoard.app folder
    Code:
            <key>Mappings</key>
            <dict>
                   <key>weather</key>
                   <string>WiKatra/weather</string>
            </dict>
    where WiKatra is either a Symlink to the com.apple.springboard folder in the Katra WI-Theme or a real subfolder of SpringBoard.app containing all the Katra-Icons.
    Neither way it worked.

Is there a way to escape the slash in the mapping string to make this work?
    Or would this need to be a code-change?
    If the latter, consider this to be a feature request.

If that worked, you could include the symlink and the plist containing the mapping - both for the SpringBoard.app folder - with the two basic WI-Theme packages (and remove the WinterBoard dependency) to make WeatherIcon full-featured out-of-the-box even without WinterBoard!

While weather icon is displaying the right temps in the status bar, i'm not getting any images is the status bar. I'm also not getting any weather image or temp on the weather icon on the springboard. everything is on under settings.... what am i doing wrong? I've got a 3G running 3.0 and I'm using the PREtentious theme(although its the same deal when using no theme).
    TIA
    Chris

Thanks
    Thanked 7,636 Times in 1,765 Posts

Does anyone know if there's a string value for the temperature on the home screen icon? I'd love to move it up a bit, to accommodate for a theme.

Thank you for weathericon, and all the info you've given us

Default temp.
    the temp on the icon is not matching my local weather please help

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lingstarr View Post
    the temp on the icon is not matching my local weather please help
    Make sure "overide" in weathericon settings is OFF. And your local weather is the first in the native weather app. Also, maybe mylocation...do you have that installed? I'm not sure if this affects it? Mine was showing a weird temp for about 4 days straight, and then came good by itself.

Yay it worked !!!! Thank you ap much !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lingstarr View Post
    Yay it worked !!!! Thank you ap much !!
    You're welcome budy. Glad you got it sorted

Thanks
    Stimpy5050, WeatherIcon is the only mod I miss since upgrading to iOS 6. Can we expect an update any time soon? Thanks!